Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 18 Dec 2013 19:12 #1

• jrsembera
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Howdy everyone. I have just recieved my personal license program and am eager to give it a go. I found this path while looking for ways to make my son's 2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 get better mileage. It has the 360 engine with automatic transmission. We are new to this engine, just got this truck this summer when he got his drivers license. I've been a shade tree mechanic since the early 90's, but have a lot to learn in doing this modification. So, I'm asking for advice from anyone that has experience with this truck so my first mod can go smoothly. I've already purchased a used throttle body for this engine for sacrifice. Thank you in advance and hope to hear back.

John S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 18 Dec 2013 20:18 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi John and Welcome to the Gadgetman Groove forum! :cheer:

We're always glad to meet a newbie here!

I haven't done one of those Dodge TB's yet. If you could get some pics of the TB (throttle body) and the intake TB mount flange w/ TB off, that would be great. Also look in the Index tab and check in the Chrysler Dodge section for any info there.

I think there might be something to figure out about airflow in the Idle Air control area, I was lookin' at one of these months ago but didnt Groove it or completely figure it out.

The Groove itself is straightforward enough, it's in restricting airflow that bypasses the TB where it can get interesting--PCV and IAC systems. We strive to control incoming airflow thru those in order to boost intake manifold vacuum, which aids the Groove's effect.

Ron's Training materials, and all info here will really help, so dig right in, John!

Welcome Aboard! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 18 Dec 2013 21:01 #3

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Hello John and welcome abroad --
1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex-- this is my truck, not groove yet, but work in progress. There are pictures of my PCV reroute
geraldc

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 18 Dec 2013 22:52 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
this is easy one jb quick the iac hole as the groove will be in its route cable drive so follow the butterfly expect better shifting and less down shifting on hills gain will be 4 to 6 mpg increase.ron has one of these posted happy grooving

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 19 Dec 2013 04:31 #5

• jrsembera
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank ya'll very much for the warm welcome. I plan on doing this next week while the kids are on Christmas break. I will post pics with the TB off the manifold. I think I'll go back and watch more videos of the IAC before I start this.

Give me a bit to get used to the Lingo here, it's a nice change to the manufacturing Lingo I'm used to. I work about 50 hours a week as a lead electrician in an aluminum rolling mill. So weekends and vacation are my opportunities to try this.

Thank ya'll again, and please have a Merry Christmas! :woohoo:

John S.

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 19 Dec 2013 15:11 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi John I'll try to de-code some of our Lingo...

TB-throttle body
IAC- idle air control, also idle air bypass (this lets air in around throttle blade, controlls idle speed w/computer)

ECM, PCM, ECU PCU- the vehicle computer, or the computer controlling engine management where there are multiple computers aboard

AOS- air oil separator- used to clean oil/water mist from crankcase fumes

PCV- positive crankcase ventilation, as in the PCV Valve and system

MAP- manifold absolute pressure sensor

EGR- exhaust Gas Recirculation

TPS- throttle position sensor, found on TB actuated by throttle shaft

JB- JB Weld, JB Quick and other metal epoxies like Q Bond

Man. Vac.- manifold vacuum what we are working to enhance (Vacuum and engine/combustion heat are what turns liquid gasoline to vapor--only Vapor will burn!)

Most shop repair books/manuals will have a glossary of so many of these automotive Acronyms!

Glad you're with us John we all look forward to your adventures in Gadgetman Land! :woohoo:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 26 Dec 2013 23:44 #7

• ColletteThomas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy,

Some take these acronyms for granted, and others (ME!) appreciate you taking the time to explain. I am definitely on a learning curve here, but I will be in the lingo in no time. I've been under the hoods of engines several times with Ron, and he has patiently taught me many things (He makes it look easy doesn't he?) but acronyms have to be used over and over to stick....Thanks again for the reminder!

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 27 Dec 2013 00:12 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
ALP--
Acronym Learning Person
ASP--Acronym speaking Person

AOU--- Acronym Over Use, Often found in same sentence as Acronym Over-Users Anonymous

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: spelin

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 27 Dec 2013 22:27 #9

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy G is EGR an (acronym) does the egr recycle exhaust back into the intake?? I saw on one of the videos , Ron said that in his opinion all exhaust should go out the exhaust pipe. Also does the egr drain the vacum from the intake? I was wondering if you should put a plate under the EGR , would that make all the exhaust go out the tail pipe instead of back into the intake? and maybe increase the vacum. Maybe I am useing the wrong Letters but I think it is EGR valve. But would it be legal to do that, maybe if you did you wouldn,t want everyone to know. What do you think, I appreciate your input. Maybe it make a happy motor ;) Trying to give you a picture with words....Greg P

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 27 Dec 2013 23:46 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok understand. Yes EGR does let some exhaust gas into intake. Purpose is to reduce combustion temps to reduce formation of NOX, Oxide of nitrogen, a major component of photochemical smog. EGR far as I know is supposed to only admit exhaust in limited quantities to intake, mainly during hot engine cruise conditions.

Also far as I know tampering w/ EGR is against federal Laws, I don't advise it. Plus, believe it or not proper functioning EGR can help w/ MPG since the small amt. of inert exh. gas takes up space in intake charge displacing some air. This in turn lowers combustion temps, since NOX forms in high temps So EGR helps control NOX formation/output.

As a discussion exercise of course it's posibble to modify the EGR, and yes when the EGR pintle opens it will bleed off some vacuum as well. Do whatever seems right for you. Some engines use higher EGR inputs than others. I would NOT do any mods to EGR for anyone else, see?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 05 Jan 2014 18:23 #11

• jrsembera
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Alright, just grooved my first TB. It's going on a 2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 with 5.9L engine. I'm attaching a pic. After viewing several of Ron's videos, I'm wondering about the MAP sensor which mounts to the TB. I think i need to order the Mapster but not sure if I should install this modified TB without it or wait until I get one. I already closed in the IAC port and drilled with 1/8 hole. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thank you.
John

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Howdy! From La Vernia, Texas 05 Jan 2014 21:20 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi John thanks for the pics; everybody worldwide can read Pics.

If you could post a pic of the TB mount. flange on Intake, w/ TB removed, that would be Great.

Let's keep it Simple for now, would advise not dealing w/ MAP sensor just yet. Your Grooves look OK, but might want to see if Groove is full depth throughout both Grooves. Take the bit ya used, and hold in each Groove, roll it left-right thru to see if the taper of shaft touches flat edge of TB bore. High spots- can carefully re-Groove to cut down high spots. Be sure to hold tool Very steady when cleaning up a Groove. DON'T let bit swing around in any direction, also dont get too carried away in cleaning it up. Real easy to over-cut it, Groove can get rounded-out and loose it's intended shape. Ya want bit ideally to fit in Groove full depth where taper on shaft touches bottom of bore wall, AND the bit can't be rocked or swung left/right very much.
Better to have Groove have some imperfections than to over-cut it. This stuff just takes practice. So John just check the Grooves w/ bit, and remove only the worst high spots where bit isnt full depth. Remember in training DVD where Ron just does ONE clean up pass right to left?
Also be sure you "check your work" shine bright light inside grooves and from outside in dark spot, and look close for any breakthroughs. Patch any w/ a bit of epoxy. let dry then carefully recut any epoxy in Groove. ALWAYS check your work every time!
OK I looked at pics again, looks like bit shaft dug in to bore wall several spots, usually means its full depth there. Just check Grooves w/ bit, go from there.I'd make sure I was happy w/ the 2 Grooves and run it! ;)

Have ya done anything w/ PCV yet, John? Do you know about the computer Re-learn procedure? Those two will add lots to results. Also if O2's are over 50 K miles think about replacing 'em.
IAC port fill-in looks good! And--be ready to check for those darn Manifold Vac. leaks, these 2 Grooves are gonna amplify any there! Also Be sure IAC valve and bore were clean, gunk can cause IAC to stick open-not good. Ya probably cleaned that all up before filling in IAC pathway, just sayin"! ;) ( don't mind me, I tend to over-advise on everything! :blink: )

So John, a couple of decent Grooves your first time out! The IAC restriction may cause low idle RPM, but just adjust idle stop screw, or open hole in epoxy a tiny bit. Git 'er on there, any issues, just post 'em, we'll sort them out!

good for you, John, keep at it! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: