Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: hello all

hello all 29 Aug 2015 23:20 #1

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi guys. I have recently been watching lots of gadgetman videos on youtube and I'm wanting to do it myself. So I've been curious if anyone knows how or where I can buy the dremel bits Ron designed? Also, does anyone know what ever happened to him? The most recent stuff from him looked like he was taking a lot of heat. So anyways, hi, my name is Johnathan and I live in Texas. I'm all about mpg's and always reading online and happen to come across the gadgetman articles and videos. It makes perfect sense to me about increasing the vacuum to further vaporize the fuel! I really want to try it on my motorcycle! But alas, I do not have the dremel bits. Thanks for any help or info! B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

hello all 30 Aug 2015 12:13 #2

• ColletteThomas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Johnathan!
Welcome aboard, we're happy to see ya here! I noticed you just registered with us so I can get your email through our database or if you would like, go ahead and shoot me an email at collette @gadgetmangroove.com or give me a call at 406-361-0491 and we can get you set up with dremel bits. Once again, welcome! You're going to like it here!

hello all 30 Aug 2015 16:21 #3

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Collette! Thanks! I'll send you an email :-B

hello all 30 Aug 2015 21:23 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Johnathan, it sounds to me like you have an aptitude to become a Gadgetman, I'd say get the PL kit from Collette. Find a junk throttle body (called TB around here.) Practice on it , maybe try a lawnmower carb. w/ the small bit first. IF there are any mower shops around you can ask them if they have any junk carbs they might give you. That's what Ron always advised, it's what I did.
You need a PL kit, a decent Dremel like the model 4000, and a flex shaft attachment. Avoid cheapo Dremel knock-offs. Remember to keep the bit cool, dip in light oil or water after each cut, and avoid excess tool speed. A small vice is very handy, I have a recommendation for that too.

Then ask Q/A on here, and post pics of your first efforts as well, don't be worried 'bout criticism, we can critique you to help you along. I'd wait on Grooving the carb 'till you know the basics, instead invest your time to learn the techniques first. The difference between buying a fish, and learning how to catch 'em! ;)

Welcome to Gadgetman Land, there are some good folks here, and a LOT of knowledge in the Forum Index area...(hint)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan

hello all 31 Aug 2015 05:06 #5

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks Tracy! I actually have the carb off of my mower at the moment cause I've been experimenting with a fuel vapor setup. So I was planning to do that first. I don't have a dremel but I've been looking at them online and I can get a 4000 kit for about $85 from home depot or Lowe's. Also I've been curious about something. I remember Ron saying that you want to hold the dremel bit between 20-22 degrees from the TB housing. Do you know if there is a kind of miter attachment for the dremel to hold it steady? Or is it just better to get practice free handing? I would imagine the more consistent you cut the groove the better the results? Like if it was cut on a cnc? Thanks for the info!

hello all 31 Aug 2015 09:36 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
As you'll see when your bits arrive, the shafts taper to the head that does the cutting at the correct angle, Johnathan. The real trick is to learn what that angle is for the first cut.
I haven't read of anyone on here building a jig, so if you're inclined, be the first and share with the rest of us please.

22 degrees is about half of 45, which is half of 90...that's my rule of thumb, and I come up shallow when guesstimating. the Angle is important, but placement and depth are moreso. As Tracy Says, technique comes with practice. The key is to hold the TB steady so that you can focus on placement and angle, and Tracy swears by a Panavice. I bought one too, and it's brilliant...my favorite tool lately.

What do you drive that you want grooved...you commented on the f150 thread - do you drive one of those too?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan

hello all 01 Sep 2015 19:21 #7

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

heysoundude wrote: As you'll see when your bits arrive, the shafts taper to the head that does the cutting at the correct angle, Johnathan. The real trick is to learn what that angle is for the first cut.
I haven't read of anyone on here building a jig, so if you're inclined, be the first and share with the rest of us please.

22 degrees is about half of 45, which is half of 90...that's my rule of thumb, and I come up shallow when guesstimating. the Angle is important, but placement and depth are moreso. As Tracy Says, technique comes with practice. The key is to hold the TB steady so that you can focus on placement and angle, and Tracy swears by a Panavice. I bought one too, and it's brilliant...my favorite tool lately.

What do you drive that you want grooved...you commented on the f150 thread - do you drive one of those too?

I've never owned a f150 but I've worked on plenty. Auto repair was all I did since high school (past eleven years), but now I'm a machinist. I still do a fair amount of wrenching just helping out friends and family. Im sure doing the groove could help out a few people I know who aren't doing so well financially and they need to make gas money stretch.

I drive a 2014 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It gets 18 city 22 highway which I don't consider too bad for the truck and motor size. But I'm sure it can do better. I also have a 2013 Harley softail slim which is my main commuter since it gets 43-47. And the wife drives a 2014 Kia Soul with a 2.0. It gets pretty crappy mileage for a 4 cylinder (bout 21-24), but I think it's mostly cause of its extreme NON aerodynamic shape.
I would like to groove all of them eventually but I'll start with my mower carb first. I know a few people with old project cars and parts laying around so I know I can get a few carbs for practice.

hello all 02 Sep 2015 02:27 #8

• Kim
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 30
Hello dear grovers
Just call me Kim, I live in Austria and as you can read my american is a bit humbled. :)
I just tripped over the groovy page by accident.
A few months ago I treated myself with a brand new dodge ram 1500. Till now I drove mainly old 3rd or 4th hand used cars. I am 57 and decided to get once a brand new car.
We have two older Honda's in our family. A few years ago I bought a small farmhouse build in the 1700 which I am restorating. Besides that I take care of a couple dogs and ferrets. (Not breading!)
All the best to you and greetings from Austria Vienna

hello all 02 Sep 2015 05:24 #9

• Johnathan
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Kim! Welcome! :)

hello all 02 Sep 2015 12:14 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi KIm, Welcome to the GadgetmanGroove Forum! :cheer: We have already exchanged emails, and with your backround, I look forward to seeing you here! Once you get the PL kit from Collette, feel free to post pics and questions in here, this is how we ALL learn! ;)

And I'm glad to see some new people here!! Remember, all, to use the Index button at top left corner, look around a LOT of info is in there!! It's a Reference Library of sorts, many different cars have been done before, lots of questions have already been asked/answered before. Grooving techniques, care of the Bits, tools, vices, other Mods, Ignitions, our own Fuel Additive you can make, challenges and Victories Gadgetmen have had over the past 5-6 years. You are Never Alone here!! :woohoo: :silly: :P

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kim

• Page: