Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.

TOPIC: Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 14:33 #25

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652

Ystervark wrote:
So a logical deduction from your explanation would be to drive lower octane fuel as the chances are it contains less Ethanol or better yet NO Ethanol?

Seems like my work horse doesn't have a catalytic converter or any sensors on exhaust side of the engine.

Martin- you've got it backwards; the lower the octane, the more ethanol. it's how the fuel companies appear environmentally friendly and stretch the gasoline to make more profits.

No oxygen sensors...are you sure? the upstream one will be downstream of the exhaust manifold, and the then there's likely another one prior to the muffler. but if the catalytic and muffler are a combination, then look after that and before the tailpipe I suppose.

this is good to sort out - along with EGR before grooving. I'm looking forward to the photos...take care with the lighting please!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 23:05 #26

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Greg.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So higher octane might be better due to lower Ethanol levels. I find that I get better mileage on 93 than on 95 Sasol. But I will be doing some more testing on that one.

I will take some picture today of the exhaust system so that you can see. I checked and there are no wires coming from any sensor or anything on the exhaust side of the engine. It is only exhaust pipe.

Will post later.

Martin

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 23:11 #27

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
This is what I could find on our forums regarding Ethanol

It seems like we have a 2% max content.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 23:13 #28

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Lets try the upload again.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 23:18 #29

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
and again.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 23:20 #30

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Sorry no luck on the insert.

It states that our petrol companies are allowed by law to add 2% Ethanol and no more.

Would 2% make a big difference.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 02:15 #31

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Wow wow wow! Only 2% maximum?!? That's fantastic!!!
I'd jump right on the MPG Remedy ASAP, the concoction that lowers the surface tension of gasoline so that it atomizes more completely at the injectors, allowing for a better air/fuel mix in the combustion chambers. I'd wager your fuel economy goes up by 1-3 MPG just from that alone, if not more.

As far as no oxygen sensors on the exhaust system...how many spark plugs per cylinder does this engine have? If there are 2 as I suspect, one of them fires on the power stroke, and the other fires on the exhaust stroke to burn whatever fuel might be left to clean up exhaust emissions. I'll bet you could find the firing pattern/sequence and then move the wires around on the spark plugs so that they both fire on the power stroke and burn all of the delivered fuel when the engine needs it most and further gain power and efficiency (from not hitting the accelerator as hard to get moving). Opening up the spark plugs for bigger, stronger sparks will only help this.

What's the compression ratio of the engine?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 06:27 #32

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Sounds like I live in the right part of the world as far as fuel quality is concerned.

I will start to inform myself regarding the MPG Remedy......

Sorry Greg only 1 Plug per piston. I opened the spark gap To 120% of what it was
Before

After

Huge difference I know. It was at 1.03 mm before it is at 2.26 mm now. And she idles fine and drives fine. Can't really say there is a power difference.

I cant really increase the gap more as the upright of the negative and the spark gap is about the same now. I think the spark will just take the shortest route and jump to the upright instead of the negative tip.

Next post regarding the exhaust side of things.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 06:30 #33

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I mean 220% of what spark gap was originally.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 06:48 #34

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Exhaust

As you can see. There are no wires connecting to the exhaust or censors connected to the exhaust pipe.

This message has attachments images.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 06:50 #35

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Exhaust

Also this just looks like a normal exhaust box to me.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 31 Oct 2015 06:52 #36

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
And Again.

This message has an attachment image.