Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: '96 V-ger Groove

'96 V-ger Groove 01 Nov 2011 17:28 #1

• Hemp
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
When I did the groove on the V_ger( Yes, I wish I could go light speed.), it took me several days to complete as it was my first one on a junk yard t-housing. I wanted to make sure I did it right. After it was installed & the car seemed to work ok for a few days, I duplicated the process on my original throttle body at one sitting in order to get the processing time nailed down. the steps are as follows:

1. Clean off the gunk w/carb cleaner--seemed like the longest block of time.
2. Prep the IAC gap & outer body for JB Kwik application.
3. Apply JB Kwik. Allow to dry--needed 1 hour.
4. Reroute IAC W/small bit.
5. Cut groove w/large bit only.
6. Clean up alum flakes w/carb cleaner.

The whole process took me about 4 hrs. in cluding running some errands while the JB Kwik was setting up. This time I got a better mix & it set up quicker. So the whole process took me about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. to complete. And I did a better job on the cut the second time around.

There are ways to lessen the time on this process. A parts cleaner would help the initial cleanup. An old issue of The Mother Earth News had a homemade one from an old stainless steel sink sitting on top of an old 30-gal. drum w/small chemical resistant pump & hose from a suply house. When I hed my furniture stripping business, we ran the hose into the handle & out the bristles of a similar system.

More later. Time for the 40-hour prison term.

Hemp

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'96 V-GER cont'd. 09 Nov 2011 04:10 #2

• Hemp
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I left off w/my story about the parts washer. Don't know that one of these is necessary unless you're doing several of these on the same day. Who knows, it may get to that point when more word gets out. If you are picky like me, you'll want to clean up the throttle body well so it's more pleasant to work on. one really only needs to clean the throttle plate, surrounding area, & anywhere you need JB Kwik for any cut-thru's.

when I did my initial cut, it went thru pretty deep at one particular spot.
Fixed it afterwards & cut out the goo that went thru. I did look @ that area before doing the groove & figured it would probably go thru @ that point & it did. I believe it will be easy to tell that on any throttle body, & like Ron said, it's better to add the epoxy first & then cut the groove.

Found my bottle of Zip Kicker for super glues. It's made for cyanoacrylate adhesives, so it may not work. It also is alot more evaporated than I remember from last time I saw it. Don't use it often. Will try it 2moro & let you know.

Now, gas mileage b-4 the groove was 18.48 mpg. Third fill-up w/new groove on original throttle body w/a modified gasket that covered the hole for the old air idle channel mised the first time around gave me 19.75 mpg. That should be 7% increase in mpg. Not spectacular, but I'll take it. should get much better when I add the EFIE.

Thanx 4 all your efforts, gang. Good Luck! Hemp

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: