Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking to do great things for great people!

Looking to great things for great people! 29 Sep 2020 13:14 #1

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello my name Is Craig, i have a couple of old Chevy trucks, looking to get the best performance out of my vehicles. I have done my own mechanics work my entire life, never do i lean on other people to fix my problems, I did stumble across the gadgetman groove the other day while looking at at mods for my trucks, thats when my attention was robbed! LOL I am very interested in learning and doing more to help people and myself.!

Thanks,
Craig Buter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking to great things for great people! 29 Sep 2020 19:04 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 551
Hi Craig, you are in the right place! Stick around- if you start looking in the different topic sections of the site, you will find TONS of good info, I promise! So, tell us more about your Chevy trucks- year, engine, etc etc. Our work here is all about Efficiency, getting much more out of your fuel, and more out of vehicles in general!
We;re glad you found us- Welcome to Gadgetman Land!!
Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 08:53 #3

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Good morning again!

So I have two vehicles, 1999 Chevy Suburban K2500 w/ 7.4L and a 1998 GMC Sierra K1500 w/ 5.7L. I appreciate the welcome message! I have been lost in all of the videos of getting the grove, the pcv valve work and the snake oil, but i am trying to convince my wife to let me does some work on the vehicles. She trusts my work, as i have always done my own mechanics even on things other than vehicles, but she isn't convinced about these upgrades yet! LOL. I'm hoping I'll get there soon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 09:35 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 645
Ah, the sceptical wife. In my experience, people and cars are no different when they're cold - they both need a bit of warming up first.
Wanna be a bit of a sly dog? modify the PCV system in preparation for the groove. It doesn't take long, it's hardly noticed by people who don't know their way around an engine bay, and it only makes the engine run better. Plus you might get an extra mile or two out of every gallon of gas...a nice start to the process.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 09:56 #5

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg,
I was thinking about doing something like that, but i am curious if it will throw an engine code. Will these mods make the check engine light come on?

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 09:59 #6

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Was also going to give her truck the SnakeOil touch! Does the snakeoil help with very small oil leaks? The rear main seal is seeping a little, was hoping this might help as well..

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:05 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
No the PCV mod shouldn't throw any codes. but if it does, it'll tell you something interesting about your engine, as in, something (else) needs attending to.
Repair the leak. the engine seals must be intact, correct, proper...sealed. lol. That's your first step. The Groove works best with an engine in the best shape it can be.
Snake oil should restore some of the surface wear from age/use, and that will have an effect on the pressures in the engine/crank (and vacuum, our main concern), so taking care of that seeping seal will help everything moving forward.
(sorry -just like faint hearts never win fair ladies, nothing worthwhile is ever easy ;) )
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:12 #8

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Sounds awesome, Thank you!

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:17 #9

• Craig Butler
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg,
I have heard in some of Ron's videos that the pcv should be connected in front of(or before) the throttle body. Am i able to port it into the air intake feed tube? or better yet, how do i eliminate it all together if thats an option?

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:31 #10

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

GregK wrote: No the PCV mod shouldn't throw any codes.

That is true in over 95% of engines to date, but in a few rare high-end vehicles (Lexus comes to mind) they are putting sensors in the vacuum line before the valve allegedly to alert the owner of an issue with it needing to be changed. If you plug that one, it will throw a code every time.

If that sensor could be relocated to another line with minimal flow through it that's uninterruptible, then that would work. Otherwise, you have to satisfy the client with better emissions, more power, longer oil life, cooler operating temps, throttle response...

Ain't life GRAND?
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Craig Butler

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:33 #11

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

Craig Butler wrote: Greg,
I have heard in some of Ron's videos that the pcv should be connected in front of(or before) the throttle body. Am i able to port it into the air intake feed tube? or better yet, how do i eliminate it all together if thats an option?

Craig, there's already a thread on the PCV system correction. Just hit the Search button at the top of every page... Complete elimination is best.

But get into the thread. It's all good stuff!
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig Butler

Looking to do great things for great people! 30 Sep 2020 11:38 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Seek and Ye shall find! There are numerous threads/topics here on the forum.
Basically, on a twin bank V engine, both valve covers have ports in them. One is connected to the intake snorkel, after the air filter and MAF sensor and it's called the breather.
The other one is connected to manifold vacuum, either with a check valve or a simple orifice (GM seems to go with the orifice).
what you want to do is pull the end connected to manifold vacuum, (usually right downstream of the Throttle body,) cap the port on the intake manifold, and T-connect that hose to the breather hose.

I did (if I do say so myself) a pretty comprehensive writeup (with pics!) of my process in my "Wendy Megathread" now at 12+ pages:
Wendy Megathread
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Craig Butler

• Page: