Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first!

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 20 Sep 2012 03:40 #13

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hay Ron the vacuum line that I’m talking about was actually an extra feature I did to the explorer involving the A/C and it is just a 1/8 inch rubber hose. So I think I probably just need to find a sturdier hose, but I was just using that as a reference to the explorer having good vacuum. But all the other hoses are fine and I’ve checked all of them thoroughly.

And RD I just wanted to say that I have had the fuel pump replaced on my explorer and before I replaced it mine did the same thing, and the only reason I replaced it was because my mechanic already had the fuel tank off of the explorer to replace the fuel level sending unit but it was only like another $10 to buy the fuel pump and the level sending unit together. My mechanic said the fuel pump was fine but it just made more sense to replace it with the fuel tank already being off, and it only being another $10. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think that’s normal for it to do that.

Another thing RD my fuel level gauge was not working as you already know from what I just told you and after my mechanic replaced the fuel pump and sending unit twice he found out that there is a little fuse in the back of the fuel gauge itself and that is what was bad.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 01:37 #14

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hay RD, I was just wondering if you have gotten any better results yet. I haven’t myself and since we have the same vehicles I thought we could work together to try to make it work. Cause I don’t know about you but I’m kind of getting discouraged about the hole thing.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 06:57 #15

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Guys, where are you located there might be someone in the area that can get a hands-on with a different set of eyes.

Also, having an ECU scanner when doing this stuff helps a lot when your looking for changes.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 10:09 #16

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I’m in Statesville North Carolina. That would be awesome if there was somebody around here that could help me I’ve been trying to get this to work for a while now. I really do want it to succeed.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 10:58 #17

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hay Ron these are the only videos I could find on my model explorer. What is he talking about that you had to do to the ignition wires. Is the something in particular you have to do to this model explorer for the groove to work?

Video #1

Video #2

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 15:15 #18

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was only offering a value-added service. As he needed new wires, I simply installed them.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 25 Sep 2012 15:25 #19

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jamieson...

Go back to basics. If there are any vac leaks, if your O2 sensor has more than 50K, then these need to be dealt with.

And I have an 02 Expedition. WAY different!

Ron

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 28 Sep 2012 05:28 #20

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hay Ron for the past two days I’ve been working under the hood of my explorer, and I’ve traced ever vacuum line in the engine compartment and in the truck and didn’t find a signal leak. I’ve even pumped the whole system full of smock and didn’t find anything. I posted a video that shows you a view of the thing I’ve done.

Video

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 28 Sep 2012 06:32 #21

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Jamieson,

I went back and looked at your initial pic's of your TB, is that a hole in the throttle plate?

If it is, I would find a way to seal it, possibly silver solder (much more ridgid than electrical solder). I would definitely use something that would not come loose and get ingested.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 22 Oct 2012 21:34 #22

• JDiemicke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well I’ve tried everything, and no results. I’ve been working on this for a year now and nothing. I took the truck up to my mechanic and he saw what I did with the PCV valve and he urged me not to do it. And I’m sorry but with no results and some of the problems I’ve been having I believe him. And it’s like every time I ask for help I get the same answer. (Check for vacuum leaks) There are none, I’ve checked over and over.

I’m sorry guys I know you’re all good people but I’m done trying. Believe me I wanted this to work, I want better fuel millage, and more power. But I’m out of questions, answers, and ideas.

I just wanted to make this known its not to be mean.

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 23 Oct 2012 03:18 #23

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jamieson,

I think we all understand the frustration. The reason for going back to "check the vacuum lines" is the 19" of vacuum on your manifold.

I went back through your posts and this comment was what I was looking for...

"Another thing is on the IAC valve gasket, I made it out of a peace of aluminum, with one hole being 1/8 inch. and the other hole being 1/4 inch. big, and when I start up the truck it runs like its guning to turn off, and even when it warms up it`s not as bad but it still idles rough, but if I take the gasket off it runs fine. I was thinking about drilling the 1/8 inch. hole out to a 1/4 inch. hole, and see how it does."

I know this won't take much of your time and if it works we're all happy.

Here's my theory on this, with the 1/8" hole on the exit of the gasket, not a problem, however the entrance side only being 1/4" could be what is causing the idle problem. Air like any other gas can compress, if you open up that 1/4" hole to the full opening of the inlet this allows all the available air to flow through the IAC and allow more air through the 1/8" hole. By having the inlet at 1/4" you are creating a double restriction.

Worth the time and it will show up immediately if it works, ie: the idle will be better and the vacuum will be higher.

I'm just hoping my seat of the pants logic is right :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: 1994 Explorer 4.0L mod. My first! 23 Oct 2012 07:26 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hey Jamison, don't be too freaked out by what your mechanic said about the PCV re-route. He's good I'm sure, but he doesn't understand what's up with this mod IMHO. Mechanics are basically trained to fix what already exists, and it takes a Really good one to understand what we are doing here! Try what Karl suggested on your IAC shim mod. Here is a lng shot guess-how OLD is your PCV Valve?

I will post later what I just finally figured out on my Dodge Slant six. I eliminated a longstanding idle issue--I did a version of the PCV Re-route on it and killed off another vacuum leak, and shazam, a decent idle quality. Carb not grooved yet. I realized I had to think outside the box; and I got the idea from Ron and our training plus this Site.

don't give up the Groove, freind!:) Be as patient as you can, maybe give it a rest and come back to it later. My Dart finally taught me what has been under my nose for Years now!! When we say eliminate vac. leaks think of stock factory installed things that will function as vac. leaks, the PCV valve is the biggest of them all!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV