Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 17 May 2012 05:33 #13

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Actually, when The Groove works perfectly in harmony with the ECU, there is no need for the ECU to increase fuel. In fact, it is the opposite condition else all ECU managed engines would do the same.

It must be some other aspect we have yet to discover. After all, The Groove operates using simple science. It does what it does and that's that. However, what ELSE the ECU uses to maintain fuel delivery at so wasteful levels is not known.

Well, maybe Dan knows! And he's just drawing out the suspense...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 17 May 2012 14:11 #14

• Mario V
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Maybe I can add some more info on the O2 sensors.

When I was first trying different things on my Accord, I installed a set of Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancers (EFIE).
A wideband EFIE for the upstream o2 sensor, and a narrowband EFIE for the downstream o2 sensor. For more info, go to (I was planning to install an HHO system.)
After many tuning attempts, the only result I ever got was a recurring check engine light. I finally disconnected the units.

Another trick I wanted to try was o2 sensor spacers. To see how they work, go to Oxygen Sensor Spacer and how to use it with HHO device
At installation, after breaking the downstream o2, I decided to forget it.
I now have a brand new downstream o2 sensor.

That's when I discovered the Gadgetman Groove, and decided it was a better solution.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 22 May 2012 05:16 #15

• Shawn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Figured I was do for another post. I have evaluated different possible for solutions for my car to provide more data for the Gadget men or to see how XYZ products would react if could control certain aspects of the ECU or even both. I found an interesting item that I may invest in at $350 figured it was worth a try. JET V-Force Plus Performance Module (at the bottom of the page of link provided)

Also I will still probably look into changing o2 sensors and the such, but have been in great debate over OEM (probably Denso) or aftermarket.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 23 May 2012 15:08 #16

• phil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I came across a supplier of programmable ecus where you can select your own fuel delivery settings and replaces the original factory ecu. Ill dig it out tonight and post it. From memory it was 199 dollars, they also did a programmable ignition system too.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 10 Jun 2012 16:43 #17

• Mario V
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was hoping I wouldn't get to this point, but I decided to give up on my dream of better fuel mileage for my 2005 Accord.

I just reconnected the PCV line so that everything is back to normal. Except for the grooved intake. After 2 years of trying many different combinations, the stubborn ECU just never gave in. The MPG numbers never changed.

If anybody out there got good results with the Honda 2.4L, please tell the world HOW you did it…

At least I tried, so I have no regrets.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 11 Jun 2012 02:41 #18

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Mario, where are you located, I just found your thread on the forums.

I would like to find someone ion your area who will check fuel trims and to see how your O2's are working.
Scott Castleburg and I met this weekend and found 3 vehicles that had lazy or inopperative voltage readings.

Please let me know where you are located so we can help you with this process.
ARON CHEEK GADGETMANNEBRASKA

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 11 Jun 2012 03:00 #19

• Mario V
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm in the Montreal Canada area.
If anybody in the area wants to run some checks, have at it…

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 12 Jun 2012 03:27 #20

• Julius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Mario,
I'm also in the montreal area...can you email please at
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

thanks

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 12 Jun 2012 04:32 #21

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kudos to you Julius, do you have a scanner or a way you can read the way Mario's 02 sensors are responding , and what the fuel trims are.

If anything start with the groove as the only thing done to it.

Reset the computer and read the fuel trims.

This will give an indication that the groove is making a effect or not.

Next make sure the vehicle is up to temperature so the o2's are warm enough to be reading properly.

If the 02's are not fluctuating quickly this will indicate a mysterious lack of fuel mileage many of us are overlooking.

If the 02's are lazy then replace all of them so everything is in harmony with each other.

Now after replacing 02's reset the computer and check the fuel trims after the vehicle has warmed up.

You should see the fuel trims come down.

Good luck to you and let us know how this goes.

Thank you for the helping hand where many of us can't reach at the distance we are from

our Canadian friends.

GadgetmanNebraska Aron Cheek

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 12 Jun 2012 13:27 #22

• Julius
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Aron,
I think you misunderstood me...I can't help Mario but I wanted to be in contact with him because we live close and he can tell me more about the gadgetman groove.
Sorry to disappoint.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 13 Jun 2012 04:07 #23

• Mario V
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Julius asked me if I could groove his 1998 maxima.
I thought I might as well post the answer I sent him.

Julius,

I don’t have the tools, the knowledge or the legal permission to groove your car.
And as far as I know, there's no Gadgetman anywhere near.
So you can do as I did and spend the time to remove the throttle body yourself (not that difficult).
You then ship the unit directly to any Gadgetman of your choice.
(I'd prefer Ron himself, but he's on the road.)
This will imply that you have another mode of transportation for about a week.

As for my stubborn Honda, I still believe I'm a special case.
After seeing videos of so many happy customers, I'm convinced the groove works as advertised (well... most of the time).
And this seems to be especially true for older cars.

Good luck.
Mario.

Re: Stubborn 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L 07 Feb 2013 17:10 #24

• mpgmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Where to start? I know this is an old post, but I think it might be helpful for others if I add some insight.

First, the upstream O2 sensor is an AFR sensor. Neither the Narrow Band (NB) nor the Wide Band (WB) EFIEs will work. That's the bad news. For the good news, using a 15 ohm resistor in the Blue wire coming off the sensor will create a richer reading. You don't actually want to cut into the sensor wire, cut into the vehicle wire that corresponds to the blue wire. Many Toyotas use the AFR sensors as well. Some of them use a Green signal wire instead of blue. As a side note, GM uses blue signal wires on their NB sensors. Careful there.

Next, I know you said you replaced the DS O2 sensor. Great. The question posed is which one to use. ONLY EVER REPLACE OXYGEN SENSORS WITH OEM FACTORY UNITS!! When it comes to oxygen sensors, NEVER use aftermarket replacements, on ANY year-make or model. PERIOD! Ask me how I know?!?

Next, if you cut the downstream O2 heater circuit wire (one of the 2 white wires) (again vehicle harness side of the connector) and solder in a 1/2 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, that will raise the cat temp threshold. When the cat gets a little cool, the ECU dumps fuel to wake it up.

Finally, there is the new MAPster that is applicable to this Honda. If you don't know what that is, contact Ron.

Hope this helps.

Mike