Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 09 Sep 2012 05:32 #13

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Ron for the feedback! Ron the latest pictures I have posted are indeed the same vehicle. I subscribed to alldatadiy.com I was pleasantly surprised that the website supported my vehicle. So sadly Ron you are mistaken.

I just wanted to post this last picture. I'm very excited to finally have found the vacuum tube and without having to deal with the intake manifold.

Now which end should I cap? Sadly I don't have any Gadgetmen near me. So I need all the help I can get.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 12 Sep 2012 01:16 #14

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I was wrong on my last post. I'm saving up my money right now to pay the mechanic that I know through Ron. I wish it wasn't underneath the intake manifold. But I will be better prepared for my second vehicle. I will make sure that the PCV valve is easy to get to. The PCV hose is also very small on my Mazda Tribute. I know because I went on the auto parts websites and saw the picture.

Thanks again everyone for the good feedback.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 18 Sep 2012 03:18 #15

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I just wanted everyone to know. I will doing the final part to the groove process. Actually not me but a mechanic I found in my neighborhood. I wanted to use the mechanic that Ron put me in touch with but we have conflicting schedules and he lives an hour away.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 28 Dec 2012 17:27 #16

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Chris- Thanks a lot for the feedback and also the link. Sadly no I am still unemployed and looking for work. I do know a mechanic that is willing to take off the intake manifold for $100 dollars. I am just now waiting to get a job and with my first paycheck will be having the mechanic take off the intake manifold.

My next car I will check with Ron first to make sure it's Gadgetman Groove approved ::)

I don't have the tools for this kind of job. I'm poor right now and when I do have the money will be buying the right tools to work on my own vehicle. I will let the mechanic know about this link you gave me. Hopefully it won't take a long time.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 28 Dec 2012 18:25 #17

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Chris-

Well now that you mentioned it. I do need help. It's on my other forum post. It has Need help with 2002 Chevy Corvette in the subject title.

I'm on my way to get a new PCV Valve and a PCV hose for the owner of that Chevy Corvette. It's a very cheap part. I am hoping when I buy the PCV valve and hose. The oil leaks stop after he caps it. I'm not sure what else could be wrong if there are still oil leaks.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 29 Dec 2012 07:27 #18

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi Linuxguy! Couple points for you. After seeing these pics, I agree w/ Chris to replace that coolant hose. If it was my job to do, I would see about using silicone coolant hose there if possible. That may be a molded hose in stock form, likely more$$ than bulk hose, so silicone might not be much different price.

Again if you're still uncertain, this PCV is connected to the crankcase--so it should be the opposite end of the PCv hose (opposite from PCV itself) that goes to manifold vac. So disconnect manifold end of PCV hose, cap manifold nipple or fitting, then reconnect the open hose end into the breather hose or into the air inlet duct by whatever means necessary.

And thanks to Chris for the pics, I just showed 'em to my buddy who owns an '04 Focus w/ the 2.3L--first decent look at where the wooly-bugger lives!:sick:

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 29 Dec 2012 13:02 #19

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am very impressed by this thread, gentlemen!

Thank you all for the help.

Ron

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 15 Jan 2013 16:32 #20

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

TracyG wrote: Hi Linuxguy! Couple points for you. After seeing these pics, I agree w/ Chris to replace that coolant hose. If it was my job to do, I would see about using silicone coolant hose there if possible. That may be a molded hose in stock form, likely more$$ than bulk hose, so silicone might not be much different price.

Again if you're still uncertain, this PCV is connected to the crankcase--so it should be the opposite end of the PCv hose (opposite from PCV itself) that goes to manifold vac. So disconnect manifold end of PCV hose, cap manifold nipple or fitting, then reconnect the open hose end into the breather hose or into the air inlet duct by whatever means necessary.

And thanks to Chris for the pics, I just showed 'em to my buddy who owns an '04 Focus w/ the 2.3L--first decent look at where the wooly-bugger lives!:sick:

TracyG Gadgetman Reno

Question for Tracy and Chris or whomever wants to answer back. If the coolant hose looks fine why does it need to be replaced? I'm willing to do it. Just need an explanation so I can explain to the wife :-)

If I get money back from taxes. I plan on contacting the mechanic to take off the intake manifold so I can access the PCV valve. I do need to buy a few things. New antifreeze/coolant fluid, silicone hose, I already have a brand new PCV Valve and intake manifold gaskets. Not sure what else I should buy? Any suggestions?

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 16 Jan 2013 02:10 #21

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Chris Alexander has given the common-sense reason for the silicone hose. I don't know what kind of suppliers for parts you have access to. Silicone heater hose is more resistant to deterioration than regular hose. If you had access to an industrial hose supply house or someplace that works on hydraulics like big tractors.mining equip. etc--then those could be sources of excellent hose as well. Just ask for hi-temp heater hose, ya got to know the size I.D.

Whole idea is use hose that will last longer than regular rubber stock hose--it's too difficult to access this hose for it's own sake, and a blown heater hose could kill your engine from overheat quickly if not noticed immediately. (trust me on this:sick: )

In any case I would make sure that a New hose got installed, whatever the type!:)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 02 Feb 2013 12:58 #22

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer

TracyG wrote: Hi Linuxguy! Couple points for you. After seeing these pics, I agree w/ Chris to replace that coolant hose. If it was my job to do, I would see about using silicone coolant hose there if possible. That may be a molded hose in stock form, likely more$$ than bulk hose, so silicone might not be much different price.

TracyG Gadgetman Reno

Hello all! Well it's getting close for the mechanic that will work on my car to remove the intake manifold so I can access the PCV Valve in my vehicle. Just have two questions. First a question for Tracy:

You suggested I do this: "then reconnect the open hose end into the breather hose or into the air inlet duct by whatever means necessary". With all due respect is this necessary? My plan was to replace the PCV valve put a brand new one in and cap the intake fitting and the PCV valve. Good idea or bad idea? Then have my mechanic put everything back together.

My mother's-in-law husband Rob had a oil leak through the throttle body and onto the ground. He noticed when he parked his Corvette. I mentioned this in my other post. I don't want this to happen to me. How can I prevent this from happening to me? I already bought brand new intake manifold gasket set to have the mechanic put in. It just worries me if I see oil leaking on the ground. This can get very expensive because I will have the mechanic remove the intake manifold and put back together twice. Anything I can do to prevent this?

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 02 Feb 2013 13:26 #23

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi, im getting confused here,
Arnt you supposed to look for a small vac line .

Why collant hose change?

I need some clearification about this pcv,

The idea is not to block the pcv or?

the pcv valve normally has a small vac line to open the big pcv tube when enoughf vacum is achevied and then the crank gases go in before the tb, so that line is supposed to be there.

blocking the small vac line would stop the pcv valve opening and thus preventing crank gases cerculating. whats the point here guys.
On a chevy tbi the big pcv hose is connected on the tb not before it so ye that needs reruting.

hmm do you really need to do anything with the pcv on this car??
:side:

you want a lot off vaccum from tb to cillinder before it does not matter,

can someone explain to me this, thanks markus sweden

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 02 Feb 2013 18:20 #24

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Let's try this...

Depending on the vehicle and how the manufacturer designed their hardware will make the difference on how to handle the PCV.

Some vehicles have the hose from the PCV valve go directly to the intake manifold, in this example the hose would be disconnected from the intake manifold, that port capped and the hose reconnected to the air intake before it gets to the throttlebody.

Some vehicles have the hose from the PCV valve going directly to the air intake side before the throttlebody, in this example you would do nothing.

I have not seen or heard of any vehicles that would have a vacuum controlled flow regulator controlling the flow from the PCV valve to the intake manifold but if there were one, the outlet of that valve should be redirected to the air intake side of the throttlebody.

There are some throttlebodies that have an extra port on them that have the PCV hose connected to it, this is only a pass-thru. Look at the throttlebody you will see separate cavities in the throttlebody that route this hose to the intake manifold. In this example, the PCV hose would be removed from that port, cap the port and reconnect the hose on the air intake side of the throttlebody.

If the PCV hose connects anywhere that routes it directly to the intake manifold side of the engine it needs to be moved to the air intake side and cap the port it was on.

I have seen EGR connections that have a small vacuum line that regulates the gas recovery, depending on the ECU moving it may or may not throw a code.

Hope this helps :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington