Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 15 Jun 2013 10:05 #37

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That's GREAT, Juan!

You earned a Karma point for continuing to search for an answer after so many trials. Then, you found the answer! I hope you capped off the vacuum while you were in there...

Ron

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 16 Jun 2013 01:55 #38

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
@Ron: Thank you Ron for the Karma! I have not capped off the vacuum port. I have been too busy lately. But don't you worry I will be doing it very soon. I'm still not sure if I can reach it underneath the vehicle. But hey life is about taking risks.

@Tracy: Thank you for spending the time to talk to me over the phone. I've attached a Youtube video of a 3D engine simulation. It's the EXACT same engine as the one on my 2008 Mazda Tribute. You can see the PCV system connected to the intake manifold starting at 2:07 through 2:10. I went to the Mazda dealership today with my diagrams in my hands. I first asked the parts department then the parts manager brought out the mechanic. He told me the other end of the PCV hose connects to the intake manifold.

I hope these parts diagrams and the video helps out other people. Now I just need to reroute the PCV line to the breather hose. But I'm not sure which hose that is.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 16 Jun 2013 12:14 #39

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I believe you will find #15 to be the vac source. Remove the hose from the intake manifold and put a cap in its place.

Find the largest caps available (sold as "Heater By-Pass Caps" in the parts stores). You will find the 5/8 or (more likely) the 3/4" the one you will need in this case.

Thanks for the pics! Very valuable information!

Ron

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 07 Jul 2013 00:19 #40

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
It's DONE!!! A mechanic I know that I met at my old job did take off the intake manifold earlier today. I finally had access to the PCV valve. I was short on time and wanted to take Ron's advice. Capping the vacuum source on the PCV valve and the vacuum line on the intake manifold. The mechanic did not understand the whole rerouting process. Never heard of that before.

I'm not sure about the performance though. Still feels the same as before. I think it's because it's a small engine pulling a heavy vehicle. To remind everyone again it has a 2.3 Liter 4-cylinder engine. On the door jamb the GVWR is at 4400 pounds. Also the throttle body is plastic. Not sure if that matters or not.

I've got the Torque app on my phone. When I'm looking at the vacuum gauge after capping the intake manifold vacuum it fluctuates. It goes from low to high depending on how fast I am driving. I have seen it from 22 at the highest to 2.3 on the vacuum gauge. Is this normal or not normal? I just hope I don't have to take off the intake manifold again. That was a PITA!!!!! I've attached pictures to prove it's been done.

Thanks again everyone for the past advice.

Update: Never mind the concern on the vacuum. I hooked up the Torque app on my Ford Taurus and it also fluctuates when I'm driving. I will ALWAYS purchase a vehicle that has the PCV valve accessible.

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by Juan Reyes.

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 10 Jul 2013 00:08 #41

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Well, Juan good for you! Now we all get to see this bugger in it's glory...

The manifold vac. fluctuation is normal, it varies with engine load. And this engine is highly loaded. A bit like my 85 Subie. Lot of truck for a 4 cyl. engine to pull.

I'd suggest it's likely some of the best results are obtained on vehicles with adequate power to begin with, just my idea. My best ever MPG increase of almost 90% came on an 89 Nissan Maxima, those had great power to start with.

But you learned a lot from this one!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juan Reyes

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 30 Jul 2013 02:42 #42

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Well just wanted to let everyone know of an update on my Mazda. The gas mileage still feels about the same. Before I capped the intake manifold vacuum port. I have been tracking it via fuelly.com by the way.

I put it new oxygen sensors and new spark plugs 4 months ago. I also put in transmission fluid in my crankcase drove for a few hundred miles and changed the oil. I am getting a good deal on a fuel system cleaner service at a local service shop. My co-worker has a friend over there that can give me a good discount. A really good discount compared to the regular price. I will be doing that this coming week.

I am not sure what to replace to increase my fuel mileage. Should I replace my fuel filter or fuel pump?

My Mazda Tribute is running fine. I just have a gut instinct that something is off and needs to be fixed but I don't know what. I don't have the funds for a complete top to bottom check up from a professional mechanic either.

At least my car emissions are lower now.

Does anyone here have any idea? I would love to get at least 10 miles more to the gallon.

This message has attachments files.

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 30 Jul 2013 21:45 #43

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
OK, Juan, we spoke of this and so now I'm gonna speak here of it: I've had this on my Subaru's gas tank for about a month now, and it is doing something good. Last week I did a mileage test run 50 miles flat straight hiway Fernley to Fallon NEV and back. Used exactly 1.35 gal computes to 37 MPG.

Not the best the Subie has ever done, except its power/driveability is markedly better than when it set it's best MPG of 42MPG. When I got back from this run, I decided to check the idle mix. screw on the feedback carb. I was able to gradually reduce the idle mix screw 2/3 of a turn in (leaner). Each time I would turn the screw in a tiny bit, check idle speed then go back and cup my hand at tailpipe to see... I've NEVER been able to do that much idle leaning and actually Improve idle quality. Power is still good, and seems sharper for hard freeway onramp merging. I believe the hiway MPG should be higher now, though a test is in order.

what is on my gas tank is the Emissions reduction hologram chip from Holidium Labs sold be The Holotree.com The Holo Tree – Online Holistic & Metaphysical Store

It seems like this hologram chip has made all the other mods like the Groove, Plasma Jet Ignition, HHO, XADO treat. in the crankcase, and the rest, all finally work together.
This hologram chip is stupid-easy to install, and very hard to adequately describe how it works. I mean, we are used to thinking in terms of physical mods/additions to our vehicles, and those mods are understandable in the way we are used to understanding our engines/vehicles.

This is a far different approach. I will not try to describe this technology here, but it involves Quantum physics. There is a 50+ page explanation on both these websites, the more science understanding one has the easier to understand it is. I was able to loosely grasp most of it, never mind all the equations... :blink: There is also Layman-type explanations too, so don't be scared off if you aren't a Physics major! ;)

I ran across the predecessor to this a few yrs ago, and wrote it off as BS...But since I'm seeing improved engine behavior, I gotta say I think this is for-real. Out on the bleeding edge of stuff to be sure. But there is a guarantee of this chip, I dont recall the details. And older engines/cars will need time for it's full effect to manifest. The cheif scientist has been developing this type technology for over 10 years, and says there are Many more app's for this kind of holographic tech. This emissions reduction example is just for starters....

I don't see this as competing w/ the Groove, but adding to it's effects and complimenting them. It's an Enabling technology. I know of no other accessible versions of this tech, save for this one. IT might be something that can get the more stubborn vehicles into gains, I can't say for sure.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV