Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993?

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 26 Sep 2013 13:04 #1

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello gadgetmen,
Ron told me to give a shout out to Tracy G., C Fortner, Lowell, and Tim. He says you guys could help getting my first of hundreds of projects to come! :cheer:

LEt us all be in prayer for Ron!

Well good bye for now!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by carlossavesgas. Reason: I had made a mistake in the way I asked the topic as a question it was misleading

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 27 Sep 2013 22:22 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
A big shout back at ya, carlossavegas! I dont have direct exp. w/ that one. But IF ya take some pics of the throttle body (TB) in and outside of it, we can offer ideas. IF you look around at the posts here there is a pattern where those who post good pics of the TB and associated equipment (Idle Air control, PCV system, details of the TB bore and the butterfly plate, etc.) We can then get into nitty-gritty stuff.

so Carlos, where ya at, and is this your ride?

Obviously watch the training disc and read and re-read posts on here, there is also an Index section buttun on the forum w/ many topics to familiarize with. IF you feel you have an understanding of the Groove, then ask questions, there is some homework to do before ya Groove!

And Welcome to GadgetmanLand! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 01 Oct 2013 12:53 #3

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Tracy, I tried to post some pictures yesterday about that Previa TB with no results. I do not know what I did wrong.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 01 Oct 2013 13:20 #4

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy,

Was going to post this after my problem is found on my Mazda on the new board but the info could help those with the same TB configuration.
My TB has a large hole after the groove that was thought to be from the IAC so I was told to put a restrictor plate on the IAC and that was a fiasco with the engine running at 1500RPMs at idle with the plate. I guess the engine was 02 starved and opened the throttle plate to compensate for the choked off IAC.
Bottom line is that my TB has the IAC holes on the PASSIVE side of the plate.
The hole on the dynamic side is from the MAP(some black electronic device) I would guess. So to save others from the fiasco I had with the IAC restrictor plate and high RPMs. I posted this if it makes sense.
The first pic shows the hole after the groove which we thought was for the IAC. The second is the device the hole leads to. So if I would have been more observant, I would have saved myself hours of trouble and posts and saved you guys from dealing with a problem that was not necessary if I would have been looking and thinking.
Hope I didnt read my TB wrong. :dry:
Picture included below.

Karl

Last edit: by Karl411.

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 01 Oct 2013 20:20 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok Carlos so you're in Florida. So little concern of cold weather operation as relates to any Idle Air Control (IAC) Mod'ding, does this toyota have A/C?

Good start on posting pics. Can you get some in close detail of in the TB bore top and bottom? And a few more of general outside view to I.D some of the stuff on TB exterior...? Looks to be a middle-size TB, not dinky or huge bore. Also what size is this engine I assume a 4 cyl? Thanks!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 01 Oct 2013 20:27 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Karl that black gizmo sure looks like a TPS to me is it inline w/ throttle shaft? And far as it looks from here the opening left side in photo below throttle plate should be idle air bypass port, where idle bypass air controlled by IAC enters intake manifold plenum.

Curious here; new board is this another forum? thanks.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 01 Oct 2013 20:53 #7

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy,

As far as I can tell(and remember), that port in the pic after the groove stops at that black device that has wires connecting when TB goes back on. It does not continue but stops at that device.
We all thought it was the port for the IAC but I traced the IAC and there is a hole(if not two) before the throttle plate on the passive side where the IAC leads to. There is also a hole in the throttle plate as seen in the pic so maybe that is for air to pass through when idling even though that hole is minute(like 1/16")? Do you think that because I semi-plugged off the IAC with the plate that the throttle now had to open for 02 hence why the high idle? Just guessing here.

Sounds strange that my TB configuration should be so different from the rest where those holes are for the IAC in most(if not all) other models. Does all other TB's have a hole after the plate for the IAC or are there exceptions? Does some other TB's have a hole in the plate like mine?
As far as the gizmo being a TPS, I would say you are right on about that since from what other device would my Scangauge II give me as a TPS reading of 16 at idle? And would 16 be the angle in degrees that the plate is when closed? Just trying to figure this all out logically here. :unsure:

Karl :S

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 02 Oct 2013 17:47 #8

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks so much Tracy G. This Toyota 1993 Previa has a 2TZ-FE engine (not supercharge) with Air COnditioning. We are stationrd in Tallahassee Fl. where winters are usually down to maybe 20 degrees F.

I grooved it yesterday and welded and regrooved it today to get closer to the plate. This TB has a ISC or idle speed control. I covered with JB weld two sections of the of the body as you can tell on the pics. allowing about an opening of 1/8.

I am also planning to block the egr with a piece of aluminum. What other hoses should I cap. For instance there are two hoses coming from the TVV, what should do with them?

I hope you will be able to play the video that I inserted. THanks again sir!

Until later, shine on!

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 02 Oct 2013 18:05 #9

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am trying again to send this pics

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 02 Oct 2013 18:11 #10

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Notice I JB weld tow sections leaving a 1/8 space for air to go in. Is this correct or not? Maybe I should just try it and see what happens. This is really exciting. Time consuming bhut exciting!:)

this is the idle speed control with the half inch hole and to the left two water hoses

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 02 Oct 2013 18:14 #11

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

This message has an attachment image.

Does anyone knows the tricks to groove a Previa 1993? 02 Oct 2013 18:28 #12

• carlossavesgas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
WEll I tried to load a short video but it did not upload, it is alright.

Tracy G. there is a brass screw to the right of the TPS and to the left of the R port should I or not worry about that.