Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported)

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 13 Oct 2014 02:08 #13

• Mike
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Hello - I'm your average Kiwi from New Zealand trying to save some $$$ in the back pocket while making my Iron Horse run smoother while eating less grass ;-)
  • Thank you received: 1
Here is a couple of screen shots of my smart phone app "Gas Manager"

In the Graph where the consumption rises high was when I left the car at work for two weeks with a tank of fuel with acetone in it - I think it may of helped with evaporation out of the tank ??
kiwi-mike

Vehicle: 1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6 4 cylinder Engine
Current Mods: Gadgetman Groove, PCV Enhancer, Frantz Toilet Paper Oil Filter also using Amsoil Filter
Past Mods: HHO Gas, Fuel Max

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 16 Oct 2014 01:17 #14

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Mike I'm very glad you decided on having the Groove done to your Lucino, you've done a fine job of sharing your experience here with us. By the time you are back from your latest 2 weeks aboard, this thread will be well past 2000 views! :lol:
Seeing the screen shots of fuel consumption data- Yikes it's costing $100.00 or so at each fillup! :ohmy: Ouch! So I recommend the following to help more: At oil change, use a good anti-friction treat. like RVS look in fuel savers button on front page or go here:

This stuff does work IMHO, Justin Clark knows the product and oil inside-out.

Tire pressure "trick" first fill cold tires to max rating on sidewalls, then try 5 lbs. over that see how it does. Watch treadwear, monitor handling/traction esp. wet conditions.

MPG Remedy look in the Index, or in the (long) message thread here in forum about it. BTW, another G-Man has a different take on it, depending if the gas down in NZ has alcohol content. He uses Acetone with the uncoated aspirin and hydrogen peroxide, instead of alcohol. He uses/prefers gas that has no alcohol, and uses Marvel Mystery Oil as a lubricant as well similar to my use of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. If using acetone, a lubricating agent is good idea. MPGR has had wide success with Gadgetmen and customers to help economy. I've witnessed one "Miracle cure" w/it's use in an 89 Nissan Maxima, using the alcohol based version.

BTW- Dan Merrick told us early on with this that it can be used in Diesel's as well...(original alcohol based version).

Last, Ron Hatton told us all to open up the spark plug gaps by 20% to increase spark intensity. When you can, you might consider Ignition parts upgrades, see my Plasma Ignition thread-even if you don't go all the way to Plasma spark, there's lots of room for improvements, esp. w/ dist. type ignition.

Check your mailbox when you get back, Mike! And smooth sailing, Mate! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 30 Oct 2014 15:57 #15

• Mike
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Hello - I'm your average Kiwi from New Zealand trying to save some $$$ in the back pocket while making my Iron Horse run smoother while eating less grass ;-)
Hi Tracy !

Finally able to reply it was a busy two weeks on the ship !

3347 views on the thread ! There must be quite a lot of interest !

I was just having a read about the RVS and it sounds really good. But it was saying that use of mineral oil is preferred but I mostly use synthectic oil which is what I use in my car. Has anyone tried RVS in synthectic oil ?

$100 a fill up - haha yeah tell me about it ! I use BP Ultimate (98 Octane) fuel which is about 2 dollars 30 something a litre but a BP discount card takes a few cents off every time ! Not sure if the BP fuel has alcohol in it but another fuel company here in NZ called "Gull" (only sold in the North Island) they say they have got a small amount of alcohol in their fuels and they do a 98 octane fuel aswell. The MPG Remedy was an interesting read also ! I already put slightly more air into the tyres over the recommended pressure and I am sure this saves more fuel !

I haven't yet looked at your plasma Ignition thread but I did have a worn out dizzy rotor cap and dizzy rotor which I got told is not good for performance. I have got a new rotor cap and dizzy rotor but have not installed the new dizzy rotor yet. Should this be of any help if I am to install the new dizzy rotor ? The spark plug leads actually could do with an upgrade too !

And cheers for sending me all that information by post Tracy !

Cheers

Mike
kiwi-mike

Current Mods: Gadgetman Groove, PCV Enhancer, Frantz Toilet Paper Oil Filter also using Amsoil Filter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 30 Oct 2014 17:27 #16

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Mike, yes I'd say use the very best ignition parts you can. If buying plug wires at parts store, try using a digital Ohm-meter with alligator clip lead ends to check resistance. Lower the ohms the better, I prefer under 1000 ohms for any plug wire. While hooked to meter take each end of wire, gently pull/twist to see of ohm reading changes. A spiral metal core wire is preferred. I use the Granetelli MPG+ green wires on Subie, modded for the Plasma spark. Zero resistance, I checked 'em! Got 'em thru JC Whitney mail-order, online. As Dr. Christopher Jacobs said in his Ignition book 25 yrs ago, your Ignition can't be too good, use the best the wallet can stand. Ignition is a key foundation for all else. Fuel + spark + compression is how the engine runs. Sometime I will post the Ozone dist. cap mod "trick" it extends life of cap/rotor. Replace worn parts.
I've been amazed at the # of reads this thread, first one for a Lucino I bet! ;)

try the MPGR, it just seems to work.

You're welcome on the mail info, I will send that out w/all mail-in mods from now on.

RVs is good stuff. Think he told me it can work/ w/synthetic, you might email him and ask Q/A 'bout it, Justin knows his stuff about lubricants!

Welcome back to dry land Mike, I'm jealous, you folks are going into spring, we into winter :angry:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 30 Oct 2014 18:16 #17

• Mike
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Cheers for your reply Tracy

I will email Justin today about the RVS and handy tip about testing the wires for resistance. I came across a website that make custom wires I will email you about that shortly. I will replace the dizzy rotor sometime this two weeks off I have photos somewhere of the worn rotor and rotor cap .

And goodluck for winter I certainly don't like it either yesterday was a lovely warm day but today its a horrible windy overcast day and I am inside with the heat pump running haha !

Cheers !
kiwi-mike

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 24 Nov 2014 19:17 #18

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Lucky you, Mike, it's Spring for you guys, and already getting cold/snowy in old USA.
BTW- look a the views this topic, approaching 3800!! :woohoo:

you and the Lucino are now Groovy celebrities, Mike :woohoo: :P

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 25 Nov 2014 12:30 #19

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Having read this thread, it seems as if you're a guy who pays close attention to the little things to keep the Big Picture in perspective, Mike. To that end, in your quest to maximize your gains from these modifications, also minimize your losses: the parasitic ones like friction that limit the upside. (do the whole RVS treatment...engine, transmission, differential and wheel bearings).

the synthetic/mineral oil debate will be settled in your head once you read the pamphlet Justin will include in your box. (Mineral oil for treatment, THEN you can go back to synthetic)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 28 Nov 2014 23:50 #20

• Mike
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greetings Guys !

Haven't been on here for a couple of weeks been quite busy on the ship.

I sent an email off regarding the RV treatment but didn't get a reply from Justin ( I will double check junk email folder now) but to be honest I haven't done anymore work with the car/groove and fuel consumption been up and down again but I will get back into the swing of things ! :-D
kiwi-mike

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 29 Nov 2014 20:29 #21

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
yo, Mike! Well the whole Groove thing Is a Process, you keep on learning as you go. Ron Hatton gave us one heck of a road map, sometimes it really gets in the Groove. Other times, you sit back and consider what to do next.

Take it from me the RVS is fantastic stuff, keep tryin' with Justin Clark, he's got a good Thing there! :woohoo:

so do you, look at how many views now, your car has a real audience now, it could fill a big venue...I've given you a Lot to do and consider, it can only get better from here! Better/warmer weather for you to do more as you wish w/ the Lucino.

OK, I just phoned my car junkie neighbor, he says he has an old distributor cap I can use. I want to show you and others the Ozone Cap trick, it's easy and beneficial too. It not only taps in to a source of small amount of free Ozone ( An Oxygen radical) that is a combustion aid, it also extends the service life of the cap and rotor. ...wouldn't ya know it, he found the cap, then mis-laid it while getting ready to go snowmobiling! :blush: I'll either get it when he finds it or get another cap and post this cool Mod.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 16 Dec 2014 19:47 #22

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
golly, over 5000 views now... sombody's somewhere LIKE this thread...!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 29 Dec 2014 04:46 #23

• Mike
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Tracy/Everyone

Finally I have come back to the forum !

Heres an update: I recently got an oil change as I haven't changed the oil for nearly two years but with using the Frantz toilet paper filter i could get away with an extended oil changes .

The fuel consumption had gone up last time I filled up but with the new oil in the engine I have noticed the engine is quieter and smoother. I am still keen on trying out the RVS.

Next year I am changing companies and finding a new flat. I will be using the car for shorter trips as I will be home every night with the new job. I will be finding a flat with a garage and room to muck about with the car !!! :-D

I am keen to find out more about the ozone cap trick Tracy ! I guess I will find it here on the forum.

Apart from all that Summer has finally arrived with some sunny days ! Off to Picton tomorrow morning for new years in the South Island

Happy new year everyone :)
kiwi-mike

1998 Nissan Lucino 1.6L Japan (New Zealand imported) 29 Dec 2014 22:36 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hey Mike! good for you you have good weather and a non-moving deck under your feet. I've posted a short writeup w/ pics on the Ozone cap trick, originally courtesy of guru Mike Holler. Very easy to do.
A flat w/ a garage or carport is a Godsend to get stuff done. Being home every night I'm sure is better too! :) Heysoundude has had fabulous results w/ a full RVS treatment, it's awesome stuff!

This thread continues to march on w/ views... folks are watching what we do. We figure stuff out and get results.

IF you have a reduction in MPG, that happens w/ many engines/cars for awhile as ECU adjusts. Can always repeat the ECU re-learn if desired!

IT's shed/garage time here in USA, just snowed a bit, had to move my small Rocket Oven under cover out back. A Chevy TBI is on it's way to me for Groove work. In midst of grueling 2 weeks at work, the place fills up during holiday season...ugh!

Going to try a new (slightly) version of MPG Remedy this week. BTW have you had a go w/ it yet?

Best to you and yours, family, friends, etc. Mike, and all good wishes for the New Year to ya! :woohoo:

gonna put on another sweater....brrrr!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV