Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 05 Nov 2015 22:32 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Since the thread started by our new South African Gadgetman Martin, known as Ystervark, has grown so big already, I thought I'd begin a new thread, to have a specific thread to talk tech for this truck.

Ive started doing some research online, so far I've discovered that the Colt model light pickup was offered in SA for several years, and apparently was a hit there. '06 was the last year for this model that began in 1996. In SA, it was replaced by the Triton in '07. Looks like during it's 10 year run in this configuration, this truck is also called the L200, in Australia the Triton, and Storm, Strada, Magnum or G Cab in various markets. They were built in Thailand.

Here's a link to Wiki article about this and other engines in this Mitsubishi Sirius engine family:

Mitsubishi Sirius engine - Wikipedia

Unfortunately, this Wiki article does not mention Martin's truck exactly.

Ystervark, see if there is an emissions label visible anyplace underhood or anywhere on the truck. In US markets, this sticker is required by law, has been for decades, it's a good source for alpha-numeric coding, and acronyms that give clues to the specific emission control equipment found. In US, it's usually a decal found underhood, I dunno what they did for SA.

After further reading in the links and references listed at bottom of this wiki, it looks like this may be an early base model of this engine, in injected form, installed for sale in the emissions- regulation- loose SA market. Gonna take more digging to get the whole story on this truck.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 03:49 #2

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Tracy.

Thank you for the great info you posted here. I took a few pictures of the electronic systems on the vehicle as you asked in the previous post. I thought I would post it here where it seems more relevant.

Spark system

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 03:51 #3

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Fuel Injection System

This message has an attachment image.

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 03:54 #4

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Sensors that I can see....

This message has attachments images.

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 03:57 #5

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Air intake from inside....

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 10:56 #6

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg.

I think it was you who suggested I get an OBD2 interface that can work of my phone or laptop.

Well I Bought one today online. I expect delivery within a week.... It looks like the same one you bought

I do believe as you said this is the tool to have in order to do proper Tuning and diagnostics.

Tracy.

Regarding your question about MAF or MAP sensors I do believe this interface will give us a lot of information regarding the Colts sensors and AFR's. As soon as I have it I will put it on the colt and get the data we need. Together with the manual that Greg got me I think we might be able to figure something out on the Colt

Martin

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 19:08 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Ok Ystervark, I think the Colt has a distributor, mounted directly so it's direct drive from the camshaft. Looks like a hot wire MAF sensor mounted at top of air filt. housing, a power steering sensor that either opens an Idle Air Valve, or increases ignition timing, to increase engine power to offset load from power steering loads. Meaning- the Steer. sensor tells the PCM of increased hydraulic load from pwr steer. pump, and PCM increases engine power to offset the added load. I'm not sure of the sensor that looks like it's near the end of exhaust man, might be a temp sensor. The one w/ red wire plug (8th pic down) is TPS on the throttle body (TB).
the one I'm interested to see if the Colt has, is a MAP sensor. MAP measures manifold vacuum levels. An important input sensor to PCM to measure engine loading, when it's used. MAP sensor is found either mounted direct to intake manifold, or elsewhere, will have a vacuum hose connected to man. vac. if not on intake man. For what it's worth, the wire plugs I see look like Bosch type, w/ little wire retainer clips. This may be a clue later, if I can see comprehensive info on the Colt's emissions control system.

Some basics- Sensors- are there to give Input data to the PCM, they are the computers "Senses". The Computer responds to input by activating Controlled Devices.Input gives Output. Fuel Injectors, are an example of controlled devices. Of course there are different strategies used in different design systems. That's what's interesting on the Colt, we see no O2's. Seems it's using an early (by US standards) type system, much stripped down compared to what we see here. I'll continue searching 'round for info. When looking in manuals for this type info, I usually find the engine control computer stuff in Emissions controls chapter. When wanting visual info. about a given system, I'll look for schematics in Emission Controls, and in wiring diagrams.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 08 Nov 2015 19:57 #8

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Tracy.

When I did the PCV Valve reroute I only saw 2 Vacuum pipes. The one that you told me was measuring or controlling fuel pressure(it went straight to the fuel injection system). And the PCV Valve pipe that I blocked off. There is another funny looking device on the other side of the TB under the air intake. I will take pictures of it as soon as I get the air intake off again.

I sent Collette another email. She is not responding to any of my mails. I am getting really frustrated with the situation.....

Martin

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 09 Nov 2015 09:26 #9

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
did your paypal transaction complete? If so, the bits are (or will soon be) in the mail/courier/post. I know you're as Impatient as I was, but...well, just hold on buddy.

Yup, that's the OBD relay dongle I got. I chose wifi over bluetooth because it seems a more ubiquitous comm standard, in addition to Apple doing funny things with bluetooth. It Worked great with my Mazda's simple instrumentation/controls and computer, as long as it didn't get too hot. I tried it in my new Ride and it causes the security system to go a bit haywire...well, maybe the car's computer just doesn't like having to share information is a better way of putting it. Which OBD monitoring app or software have you chosen?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 09 Nov 2015 11:40 #10

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Greg.

I have not yet chosen any software for the dongle. I figured I will see what software comes with the package. I plan on using my PC or tablet. Not sure yet.

Thanks Greg I will have to be more Patient.....

Maybe it is posted already and she just did not send me any details regarding shipping.....

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 09 Nov 2015 21:41 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Martin, I just "tossed a pebble against Collette's window" to draw attention to you, she must be real busy.

talking about the engine, I've been looking at Ebay auctions for TB's for a Mitsu 4G63NB engine, I found several aftermarket TB's and just 2 auctions for used TB's. What's interesting, is this is the engine family that Mitsu used to build the famed Evo Hi-po engines. Your Colt has some Throughbred cousins! I do this frequently to research TB's.

The other thing you might be seeing on your TB, would be on the manifold side, the Idle Air Control valve, (IAC). Not hardly visible in your pics, as it's tucked up against the engine, it will have a wire plug connected, not the TPS one. Now, the 2 Ebay auctions show this IAC or at least part of it, the aftermarket ones have provision for it. IAC, is the device that allows air to bypass the closed throttle plate to regulate idle RPM's. It also functions like a fast idle cam on a carburetor. It's simply a valve, often a tapered pintle on a shaft connected to a reverse-able DC 12V motor The computer tells the IAC to open up more w/ cold engine, to give fast idle, then it closed down some to reduce RPM's as it warms up. (also opens up to increase RPM's when A/C is turned on, when A/C is present). IAC is a Controlled Device, not a Sensor. Ron taught us to do mods w/ the IAC, I won't go into that here, it's in the Index. Just wanted to call the IAC out to ya, I think I see it peeking out in the pics at the engine side of the TB.

Here's a link to one of the Ebay auctions, hope this works. Your TB may be different, but still similar:

OK our site host won't take the link, just search Ebay for Mitsubishi 4G63 throttle body, see pics in auctions

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: THE LINK!

Ystervark's 2006 Mitsubishi colt pickup 2000i 4G63NB engine 10 Nov 2015 10:39 #12

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hi Tracy.

Thank you for all the info. I got the interface today. Want to test it and maybe post some clips regarding it.

I saw the Throttle bodies on E bay. Looks quite expensive. I will see if I cant find cheaper secondhand ones here.

Will take more picture of the TB over the weekend.

Martin

• Page: