Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved!

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 21 Mar 2020 05:50 #1

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 16
After a little chasing around minor issues on the truck, I finally got the EFIE chip tuned where no codes are coming back! So I basically adjusted it until the codes for the weak catalytic converters went away. I would check for codes after every drive because codes would come before the light would come on. So all I have to do now is check the mpg soon!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 21 Mar 2020 15:04 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Vernon - it may not be the converters: have you or a previous owner replaced the upstream o2 sensors in the past 60k Miles?
2006 was a long time and many miles ago, and some of these sensors only have a lifespan of 60k miles; checking them may be the way to avoid those pesky Pending Codes now that you have your EFIE settings nailed down. It all gets down to signal switching speed across the range of values the computer expects to see.
If they DO need changing, at least you have a starting place for the re-learn procedure...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 21 Mar 2020 19:34 #3

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
It is the cats creating the code. I put aftermarket highflow cats in it

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 22 Mar 2020 00:28 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman

Vernon wrote: It is the cats creating the code. I put aftermarket highflow cats in it

What did the computer tell you was the problem, and how did you resolve it?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 22 Mar 2020 07:42 #5

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I cant remember the exact codes anymore. But when first put the groove on, it took twice as long for the check engine light to come back on for the cats. The computer would see the extra oxygen in the exhaust and make it richer. And now that I have the efie in the right voltage range, the computer isn’t richening the mixture. So now the cats are able to do what they do. I am a full time mechanic by the way

Last edit: by Vernon.

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 22 Mar 2020 09:30 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Awesome...now I know that when you say a repair was made, it was made by you, with proper diagnostics. I wasn’t sure if you had used extension tubes for the sensor(s) In their bungs or what, but while there is a lot of good information on the internet as a whole, there’s also a fairly good possibility you’ve come across a less than reliable source without knowing it. Now I know you know the difference.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 23 Mar 2020 18:14 #7

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Checked the mileage today. Still the same 17. Odd thing is, there are mores miles on the meter at half tank though. What I’m going to do is turn the EFIE as far as it can before it throws codes. I do have O2 spacers on the rear sensors, but me and a few others found they don’t work on these trucks. At some point, I may experiment and put them on the front sensors to see if they affect anything

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 23 Mar 2020 19:32 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
if you're going by the dash readout, you might want to do the math the old fashioned way for the next few weeks, with pen and paper:
It's warmer. gas expands and contracts with changes in temperature, and seeing as it's warming up, gas is expanding. we have about a month of "winter gas" left before they start putting stuff in to prevent it from vapourizing too quickly in our tanks...summer gas.
as to there being more miles on at half a tank - maybe it's warm enough where you are for the Evap system to be working already ;)
the computer cant account for what it doesn't put past the injectors, after all.

does that sound feasible to you?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 23 Mar 2020 19:39 #9

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Huh. I didn’t know they have “different” gas for summer and winter! Yeah I always check the mpg with a calculator. It doesn’t have an onboard mpg readout. I was just seeing the relation between the trip miles and the gauge needle position makes it appear more
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 23 Mar 2020 19:52 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
sure...why else is there a pressure sensor on the tank/charcoal canister? to trigger the vent/purge valves! and it's why more often than not when getting an evap code, a gas cap replacement fixes it.
if they didn't raise the vapour point in summer, cars would blow their tanks out sitting on the hot pavement of a parking lot; if they didn't add stuff to it to help it burn in colder weather, we'd have a hard time starting our cars on -20 degree days.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 27 Mar 2020 07:09 #11

• Vernon
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Should I have reset adaptions after installing the EFIE chip? Because I didn’t

2006 Frontier 4.0 4x4 has been grooved! 27 Mar 2020 11:17 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
you mean do a re-learn? I wouldn't. I'd just drive it.
If you start getting codes related to the sensors you've treated, you should go back to a re-learn. If that keeps returning the same code, you have to look at what you've done to the sensor signal and reverse engineer what's happening to fix it.

When I first put my EFIE on, I was getting over 60mpg just puttering around town, but on the highway things got funny. I had already and long since treated my MAP with a modification circuit to great effect and wanted the EFIE to take it a step further. Unfortunately, both together at their "optimal settings" made the car do funny things on the highway - not safe things. So I had to back both of them off then re-tweak them in unison and I'm back to very close to that 60mpg in town, along with having eliminated the safety issues I had created. I've said it before, but it gets to a point where you have to step back and look at the whole and find small optimizations every step along the way rather than throwing a heavy hammer at it to make a BIG IMMEDIATE difference. Streamline a bit here, tweak a bit there...it really is #allthesmallthings in concert:
Small groove. small increase in spark gap and make sure your ignition wires have the smallest resistance possible. small voltage adjustments at specific sensors. small changes in maintenance (clean the MAP and MAF sensors at each oil change, where air filter gets replaced as well). small change to the PCV system. small tubes of friction reduction oil modifier/surface restorative in the right places.
The devil really IS in the details...if you mind the pennies, the pounds really do take care of themselves.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile