Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 05:48 #1

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Hello Everyone. This is a general call for anyone that has done one of these that can give me a preview of what to expect. I don't have much time to deal and research any issues that may come up. I'm moving to Detroit this weekend and obviously crunched for time, but going to take out the TB tonight and do the Groove tomorrow, hopefully giving people time to answer this. I saw Ron's video about filling the idle air path, though today when I talked to him, he said not to worry about it. He told me to call some people on here... I was at a junkyard by the Air Force Base and they were having maneuvers during the whole phone call (really.. quiet up to the time I called Ron, then jet after jet passing right overhead. Looks and sounds cool but really crappy for cell phone conversations)
SO... Back to the point... Does anybody have pictures from the mods they did on a 90s Chevy 7.4 TBI? Or/and any other advice on what to expect?

BTW. This is my RV that runs excellent and has no problems to start with. Just want to do the Groove before the 2000+mile drive. I did the Groove on my brother's '97 Hyundai Elantra, and he has no problems. My '97 BMW 740 still has O2 sensor problems and the Groove amplifies BMW's goofy vacuum system; when I get to Detroit, I'll be hunting down those problems.

Thanks for reading.
Heathen
(leaving Vegas this weekend to be with my fiance in Detroit)

OK. now what happens when there's not enough material to Groove? and the plates open close (next to) to an air pathway. Hopefully these pictures show up and I can get some guidance. Thanks again.
H

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by HeathenDM. Reason: updating with pictures

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 14:29 #2

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Heathen,

This is not an easy mod but is doable. I recommend you fill in the idle air chambers so you can use the largest bit possible. Be sure to rough up the surfaces with your dremel using abrasive tips before filling with JB Qwik. You will also need to use packing tape on the inside edge to keep the epoxy from flowing in on the plates. Once you've filled them up so you have a grooving surface, recut the idle pathways into the middle cavity. The air will then flow into the area above the groove. Groove it working up to the large bit if possible. You will most likely need to use the idle screw to get the engine running at the right idle. Which means you will probably have to drill the cap off the screw. Give me a call if you need more assistance. Nick 607.590.0391

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 21:49 #3

• Chevytruckguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have not seen that tbi, What make and year is that off of? A second option would be making up a 1/4 spacer and putting the groove in that. It still might be to far away from the throttle blades or if there was room to remove some off the bottom then it would work also.

Craig

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 22:36 #4

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I should have put this info up:
1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4l from a Southwind Storm RV

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 22:59 #5

• mill2566
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
HeathenDM,
I live in Michigan and I would like to see how you make out with the groove. I also have a 1995 chevy p-30 454 which I have not grooved yet.
Have a nice trip to Michigan,
Dave

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 23:03 #6

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here's some reference pictures to see the issues with doing the groove.
There are a few problems here.
There are 3 bolt holes for mounting the TB. 2 of them are less then 2mm from the bore, directly under "A" and the the left of "C" (pen tip as reference). Also, where the Groove is supposed go is where the 'idle control pathways are.
I'm figuring on filling the 'pathway' areas next to the bores with JBweld. (figure about filling the top bore pathway all the way and the lower one to the point where "B" (between B and C) is. Then cut the TB wall immediately right of "B", to redirect the air pathway between the bores toward "D". Though there may be restriction from the hump that the pivot arm has, that might make it pointless to widen the 'walls' just 3/4" to the left of "D". ???
Anymore suggestions?
Thanks
Heathen

Last edit: by HeathenDM. Reason: inserting pictures

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 22 Mar 2012 23:27 #7

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll let you know how it goes

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 23 Mar 2012 01:39 #8

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello HeathenDM!

I am also from Michigan, 20 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. Ron and the Groove Tour will be here Easter Weekend. I believe Dave - mill2566 - will also be here.

Your TB looks similar to the 5.7's, just larger. I would use Nick's suggestions and also look on the Groovy Service Bulletins. I have not had experience with these TB's, but maybe you could bring the RV up to Pellston April 7 or 8th.

Hope to see you soon!

Scott Castleberg
Pellston, MI
Gadgetman Michigan
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 23 Mar 2012 02:51 #9

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
here's it filled

This message has an attachment image.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 23 Mar 2012 02:56 #10

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
filled with JB, after roughing up surface.

This message has an attachment image.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 23 Mar 2012 04:15 #11

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK. filled in idle pathways (pictures are here somewhere)
Now. filed the filling down to 'gasket level'.
Here's the pics

BTW.. I thought my old 'glossy' business cards would be smooth enough that the JB quik wouldn't stick... SO WRONG. I have packaging tape.. should have put that on the card, as the JB quik does stick to that. So I had to sand down the remnants of the card.

ALSO. note that I had the TB as level as I could get it. Still, as liquid does, the JBquik cupped in the middle, so I had to add some more to build it up just to sand it down level

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 23 Mar 2012 20:33 #12

• Chevytruckguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yeah I have used JB and it work great on my son's engine build I use it on some low spots. But me being a welder I see other options and that would cost more money to fill in or make a machined insert. Also I have a older 454 TBI and there is a lot of material for grooving if that helps.

Craig

• Page: