• Page:

TOPIC: 1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 00:20 #13

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
UPDATE for people following this
Here's some pics from after the Groove.

one pic shows the inside of the Groove. I used the medium bit and only grooved out about 80 degrees, to avoid cutting through the bolt holes and the thin wall where I drilled out a hole for the idle air pathway (see where the red tester tip is pointing)
I had the thought of drilling out the wall next to the IAC valve (previous pics- "A" to top bolt hole) and the top of the top bore to channel more idle air to that one, BUT... upon more observation.. it would NOT hold a vacuum if I did. I doesn't mate that tight to the intake.

I also ground off the idle set screw cap which is a 'star 20 tork head' just in case I need to adjust the idle. (I put the blue lighter under it for reference)
I'll be installing it on in a few hours and update again.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 04:02 #14

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Heathen, this is GadgetmanNebraska Aron Cheek.

Great job, I think it will work great. I love seeing someone dive into the groove scene.

Let us know how it goes soon as you can, I'm very excited to see many more you will do.

Great job, love your ambition.

Aron

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 04:14 #15

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK... Yea!!!!
I put it in and no problems!!!

I didn't even have to adjust the idle set screw. I only changed out the TB gasket and capped off the PVC vacuum nipple off the TB. It started right up fine and dandy!

again... Yea!

PS. Thanks to Aron and Nick for being my sounding boards.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 10:41 #16

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Heathen,

There is an easier way to do this. Block off the two ports with jb weld. Remove the iac motor. On the left side in the pic., follow the pen back to the flat section, back of tb. Drill and tap a 1/8"npt thread. Use a barb fitting, or whatever, and run this line to D or the pcv inlet that is capped. Adjust idle. This is what I'm ready to do in my sons truck.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 10:54 #17

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Jim G
Thanks, that makes sense too. They way I did it works well and it was easy drilling out that hole for the idle. I didn't have to adjust the idle. I thought I might of though. No vacuum leaks and I think it got more power by driving around the block a couple of times. In a bit I'm going to check it out on the highway (it's almost 3am in Vegas, road should be clear by now)

H

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 11:16 #18

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I hope it works for you. the advantage to my way is running to pcv inlet completely removes idle air from groove. The other ways i've seen, if you look at where the air pathway is, still has to run to the groove area. When throttle plate opens, air will get pulled down into groove.

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 13:17 #19

• Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Heathen,
Great job on the mod. It turned out really well. Looking forward to hearing the results. Happy moving.

Nick

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 13:19 #20

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Heathen, how did the drive go. I am so excited that it worked for you.

Let us know how everything goes.

I figured it would do well. We are kicking off the groove tour today.

Looks like there is gonna be quite a few people here.

Aron

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 14:11 #21

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys... Guess how fast I got my 12,000lbs 28' RV from 0-60mph... 26.4 seconds

Hehe

I have to say that I haven't driven it for a several months. So there is a difference from my BMW. :) But the RV did get up and go. I took it on the highway about 10 miles out and came back with no problems. Then I figured.. what the hell... found a flat stretch of city street, let the motorcycle cop get way ahead of me (cell phones are not legal and yes neither is drag racing a RV), stopped in the middle lane, punched it.. 26.4 seconds later and about 1/4 mile, I hit 60mph. I tried 2 other runs around the block but ran out of safety room due to a dip and the never ending construction zones. (just so you all know I wasn't being too reckless)

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 14:36 #22

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jim,
I don't think you are seeing that the air would flow (is flowing) through the part that I drilled (B) -over the throttle plate axle bump- to the top-side of the plates, right by the opening that you're talking about using (3/4" to the left of D).
Are you seeing that?
And is the throttle body you're going to be doing off a 7.4l?

Heathen

1995 Chevy P30 454 7.4 TBI groove question 24 Mar 2012 14:46 #23

• HeathenDM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jim
I don't know how the smiley face got there, it was suppose to be the letter b.

• Page: