Username: Password:
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2006 Avalanche 5.3 Liter

2006 Avalanche 5.3 Liter 15 May 2012 08:52 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Karl, TracyG here. I'm curious, what year is your Hyundai, and is it a drive by wire TB? I just did an '06 Avalance yesterday, but had to replace the TB cause the engine speed would not settle down at low vehicle speed. As soon as throttle blade crossed the Groove the speed/power jumped up sharply making the vehicle not drive smoothly. I cut a large Groove evidently too close to throttle plate- darn thing would accelerate to about 25 MPH right off idle- had to use brakes to go slower!I see you put the Groove some distance from throttle plate here, I'm thinkin' same might be required for the Avalanche too. Sorry off this thread's topic but seeing this I had to ask! Keep Groovin' and smiling brother! TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 15 May 2012 09:46 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy if you have a scanner check the throttle angle degree before cutting this will give you the area to cut the groove. Key on make sure its plugged in and then I always mark with marker before I cut. So far I havent had to fill any using this method. Dan gadgetman mo.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 16 May 2012 06:05 #3

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

It is a 1999 Hyundai 1.5L with cabled throttle, she's a grumpy little thing thats for sure. :) Also, I have an '07 Avalanche 5.3L.

You want to do it the way Dan described and give it an extra degree or two.

With the Groove effect, the idle will put the Plate below the groove once it is warmed up and the idle will be a bit lower.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 16 May 2012 07:15 #4

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Dan and Karl! So here's my question to clarify things--do you use the throttle angle that is read on the scanner with the engine off but key on? This 06 avalanche (3 bolts not 4) showed 19.2 I think with the key on engine off. It read 8 or so w/ engine idling hot. I scribed the bore at both these numbers w/ scanner plugged in key on. Then I went astray thinking I could hold throttle closed shut and use 30 degree angle on large bit. I touched top of bit to butterfly and tried to hold a 30 deg. angle,this would "kick" the Groove inboard from the butterfly at closed position. It did but not nearly enough! I also didnt use a vice, so it was awkward. The Groove worked, but too "early" in RPM and vehicle speed. BIG surge of power immediate off idle, anything under 25 MPH required brakes! Then power sagged. How do you guys position the throttle blade in the right spot to cut the Groove? Getting an angle measurement w/ scan tool and marking the bore is easy enough-- but past that im all wet here. I must add that doing the computer re-learn was Interesting. At first RPM would fly to 2500 at start up then pull back some. After 15 starts in driveway then about ten re-starts on the street still only up to 25 MPH it started to pull back the RPM's. Eventually it was starting going to 1850 then pulling back to 5-6 hundred fast. Did probably 40-50 restarts up to freeway speed at end. Next AM cold start it immediately went to 1600 then settled to 650, acting docile. But as soon as truck was backed out and throttle opened at all it was off to the races!!! Wow.... "Groove works but can be stern teacher!" Thanks guys, TracyG!!
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 16 May 2012 10:42 #5

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Tracy,

You want the plate angle at engine idle.

ie; engine on and running, throttle plate angle at the idle position.

That would be your mark..

Once you have that, use the scanner to set the plate angle to the same position.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 16 May 2012 11:59 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I always cut mine when the engine is cold as this will never give winter starts any problems. dan gadgetman mo.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 17 May 2012 06:50 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Karl and Dan, Thank you very much! OK- so Dan are you saying the plate angle at first start up fast idle (like the choke/fast idle on a carb) or the angle just after the idle speed first drops but the RPM is still above warm/hot idle speed. Example: The '06 Avalanche I Grooved would go to 18 or 1900 RPM cold then gradually settle down to five to six hondred RPM in a minute or two. So Karl you are saying use the idle angle reading, and Dan you're saying use the angle at cold. So guys, what's you opinion here? Sorry to dig so hard but this one bit me! Oh I almost forgot, this TB has 3 mounting holes not 4 like I guess 07 and others have. I think it differs from the 4 bolt one in the throttle angle and shape too? Again Thanks, guys you are Great!! TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 17 May 2012 07:25 #8

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
OK here are some pics of the TB from the 06 Chevy Avalanche. In all pics of the engine side I am holding the plate closed, which is how I Grooved it. I made a little 30-60-90 deg. triangle from a business card as a visual aid. I marked an air port close to the bore and cut there w/ Medium bit to avoid going thru. The large bit wandered in right to throttle edge in the center area I think that helped cause the engine overspeed right off idle. I've also shown how I re-routed the PCV hose and tee'd into the fresh air breather hose. I also replaced the plugs w/ stock AC Delco Iriduim's gapped at .048"; 20% over stock spec. Customer was understanding of the problem and I replaced the TB w/ a NAPA rebuilt one. Engine instantly behaved well- and as we were out driving it, the scan tool showed the ST and LT trim #'s going negative, more so than w/ my improperly Grooved TB. I think gappping and PCV re-routing may work on their own, at least on this puppy!;) I hope all this may be of use to other Gadgetfolks! TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 17 May 2012 10:06 #9

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy, The ecus are not like a laptop or home computer,they are more human meaning they have a learn processor.Thats why we reset to start fresh at 14.7/1 . The avg fuel ratio with the groove working to the best Ive seen is around 22/1. The long fuel trims around 15 to 17 neg and the shor neg5to10. These will very as you driveas the ecu is recording and avg the 02s and map baro.The mass air can be fooled but then the ecu will eventually pick it up by cross checking with Iat o2 ect. The internal maps will change quickly back and forth and if they miss overlay it will code or jump into open loop causing to fuel up.I always cut the groove for cold start and have good success. Keep grooving and think of the ecu as human thinking and it will work fine. dan gadgetman mo.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 25 May 2012 03:13 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks again, Dan! Yes modern vehicle computers are able to "learn" and adapt. Well, Today I took the TB from this Avalanche and re-grooved it. I filled in the first groove days ago. The first Groove was at far too low a throttle angle or percent on scantool. I wanted the Groove to start working at higher load/vehicle speed. Scantool said it was 18.8% engine off/cold. I wound up folding a business card in half placed under opposite end of throttle plate from Groove side. Can't say just what the angle % was, maybe 20-22%, but I did a medium groove 4 to 8 o'clock w/ plate like this. Result...man does a Little Groove make a DIFFERENCE!!;) Nice docile normal idle, smooth normal driveability right off idle, but as you accelerate the Groove starts doin' its thing. Much improved power at moderate throttle, ask for more it's right there...Step on it and it's Holy Hyperspace Batman!! The truck literally rears up and GOES! Wasnt time to measure anything, customer is going to take a 100 mile+ trip this weekend and will get back to me about results. TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 25 May 2012 13:16 #11

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sounds like your on your way,isnt this fun and to see the customers face when they step on gas , its amazing. I hope you intend to make this a business and if you are take alook at the discounts Ron has offered its great and it helps us all. Team members are the key in success. That customer will tell many others and as they can afford it itll spread like wild fire. Because they really cannot afford to do this as it will pay for itself in a short time. Fuels are lower right now but we know whats around the corner. Good luck dan gadgetman mo.

Re: Qbond for filler and building up. 26 May 2012 01:35 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Dan yes this is seriously cool esp. this Avalanche. I just had to learn on this one! I'm waiting to see how his MPG changes-should be to the good as long as he drives moderately I think. I've put 4 bbl carbs, ignition stuff headers, etc. on cars before, lots of tune ups etc etc. Nothing compares w/ results on this Avalanche!!:cheer: Yeah, I want to do more of this for sure, its interesting how most folks I talk to seem more open-minded about the Groove than say HHO for example. I would like to know more about the HHHN thing though! Also vapor carbs! I have an Eagle Research HYCO2A kit w/ instructions, never used it yet, its a bit complex. I'd love to go the full Gadgetman route, but even 4K would tax me right now. It's tempting though... Anyhow, thanks for your and Karl's imput on this, Dan!! TracyG
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: