• Page:

TOPIC: 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 12 Jan 2019 13:05 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Thanks for having my back Tracy.
if you're going to do a drive with a scantool - watch to see if the ECU stays in closed loop. If not, and the cooling system is full and the Thermostat is correct and working, remember that when you burn less fuel, the engine doesn't get as hot. To stay in closed loop for highest efficiency (when the ECU follows the o2 sensors for fuel delivery), you have to find a way to keep the engine from getting TOO cool. I've partially blocked my radiator to prevent too much cold winter air from taking too much heat out of my engine coolant - I should take a pic of that and post it here. there's also the exhaust wrap.
engine block heaters - use them! I'm tempted to retrofit an oil pan warmer too. a wee bit of electrical heat an hour or so before starting your vehicle in this cold weather will do wonders for the warm-up time (time to closed loop) and ultimately, fuel efficiency.

EDIT- attached are pictures of how I blocked cold air from passing the radiator fins and cooling the engine to below closed loop temperatures: like the exhaust mod, I used plumbing pipe insulation. Cheap and easy. Took 10 minutes!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: Added photos

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 14 Jan 2019 07:31 #14

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

Michael Lee wrote: Thankyou ill let him know. Vaccum test from dealership was good. No leaks. Any ideas?

Michael, you must consider not only the mechanics of the engine and the ECU, but the engineering of the components. "Consider only a piece of the equation, only achieve a fraction of the answer."

When you're talking about leaks, you have to think about the entirety of the manifold. What it's made of, how it's made, and the stresses it is subjected to.

Intake manifolds made of plastic ("composite") have vastly different properties than the old reliable aluminum, more when you compare them to the (older) iron ones.

When you can, call the parts store you frequent most and ask about recent orders for this type of intake. Call some shops and ask for expired manifolds from the trash heap.

Examine them closely and you're going to see where they failed. THEN you'll come to a better understanding of the things you're working with.

FACT: The internet is rife with posts about these manifolds leaking, ESPECIALLY with GM products!!!

It took me about 5 seconds to discover this.

Remember at all times newcomers to the Groove technology come in as skeptics. You must find outside sources to reference to enforce your knowledge of things most never consider.

"Learn how to learn."

This is something carefully engineered into The System. Schools teach only how to memorize data, and condition them to accept only what they have been presented.

Then, they hold to that position, repeating (regurgitating) the data they also have been conditioned to never question.

We are trailblazers only when we "Question EVERYTHING!"

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, David Seaich

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 14 Jan 2019 07:40 #15

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

CLAUDIO CORDOVA wrote: Michael you have my vote for the "MVG" FOR 2018. I just made that up but it means most valuable gadgetman. Your great spirit is contagious and your work is inspiring. It's awesome that collectively there"s a group here that will support each other and strive to grow the groove that Ron invented. Keep on bro! Your doing awesome.

Claudio
Stockton,CA.

Claudio, you are more valuable to Gadgetman Land than you might know. It is by recognizing PUBLICLY the people that have touched us that we build a community we are happy to be a part of.

Those that complain CAN NOT build anything but antipathy. They have taken advantage of the kindness and sympathy of those of good heart to overtake the balance in this world.

You are helping restore the balance and we are all better for it.

Thank you.

KARMA INCREASED BY 5!

Ron up
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 14 Jan 2019 15:23 #16

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
That's some cool stuff Greg! The best part is how incognito they look. Looks very clean and gets our brains going on how to think outside the box. This will really help us rookies to explore further.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 14 Jan 2019 16:07 #17

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Thank you received: 127
Thanks for the kind words Ron. I am a true believer that if one wins we all win. I will do my best to help in anyway possible and boost the ones that are doing extraordinary. I can tell that there is a lot of challenges from one car to the next but one thing I can really say is that we don't want anyone to even come close to failing. With the Family in gadget man land there's a unity that wont let that be an option. To all: Keep grooving and make bold moves. See in the forums!

Claudio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton, Michael Lee

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 18 Jan 2019 00:21 #18

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Greg, that's a Really innovative way of a partial grille block-off. I LIKE it. you used an inexpensive material, it was quick, and it looks cool too. You didn't need to drill any holes or use attaching hardware. Plus it will be easy and fast to remove. You could even vary the blockage easily
Real Gadgetman thinking there Greg!

I'd suggest wrapping the exhaust to keep the O2 sensors warmer too.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 18 Jan 2019 00:36 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I'll second Ron here. It's very worthwhile to learn in-depth about parts and materials technology.

I learned to investigate the material properties, and performance qualities of plug wires ages ago. Racers seemed to pay some attention to them, yet nearly everyone in the mainstream car repair industry mostly took them for granted. Turned out there was/is a BIG difference in them.

Often there is an in-depth story behind how and with what everything is made. A bit of curiosity can give rich rewards. Think, as questions, and you'll learn- and it won't feel like work.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 18 Jan 2019 23:46 #20

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 270
Thankyou guys, I really appreciate your time invested in sharing information with fellow Gadgetmen.
David DID find a vaccum leak in the fuel pressure regulator hose. And there is bound to be more found soon. The intake manifolds are weak in design, and the gasket is likely to have small air leak areas undetected.
I'll be using my scan tool Sunday to check his 02 sensors/map sensor condition.
Michael Lee
(USER BLOCKED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Michael Lee.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 20 Jan 2019 19:24 #21

• Michael Lee
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • I'm a believer & leader through Jesus Christ, Husband & Father
  • Thank you received: 270
David fixed 2 more vacuum leaks today. 1: Fuel Pressure Regulator hose coming directly off intake manifold, 2: Replaced the TB gasket. I also put my best groove on his original throttle body, and on his way home he texted me and said that he has seen a net improvement already. He will be taking an out of state trip and will be driving this truck and logging mileage. Pictures below of the groove, and of the proper bit depth & angle. Also based on the last picture, to the best of my knowledge right now, i believe the map sensor to be in a low pressure zone as it is next to the runner instead of on top of manifold. Would you guys agree or should it be moved again? I'll look into it more to be sure, but i wanted to know what you bright guys think!

Michael Lee
(USER BLOCKED FOR ETHICS VIOLATIONS)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Ron Hatton. Reason: More info
  • Page: