Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 24 Jan 2012 21:30 #1

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Will be doing my truck at some point, having a custom plate made as there is not enough meat in the bottom for the groove with the Throttle plate in idle position.

This TB is somewhat unique, they have designed the venturi to accomodate the air flow, I created a drawing to show what they have done. (Such that it is)

Let me know what y'all think

Karl Fortner
TAcoma, Wa.
GadgetmanTacoma
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl. Reason: Poor spelling of simple words

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 25 Jan 2012 14:05 #2

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Karl,

Yes, it is true that the grooveable spot on this TB is restricted/narrow. We have one here in the shop today for engine work and I looked at the TB on the bench. You have less than 1/8" between the base of the plate and the mounting surface. I see why a custom adapter may be needed to increase the grooveable area. I don't know at this point how many applications this TB is used on.

Let us know how you fair with this!
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 25 Jan 2012 16:32 #3

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you guys will check out you will find that Rick McKean, who runs the HHO Rally once a year shows an Avalanche won last years run.

The interesting thing about this is with HHHN, the vehicle went from 17 to 26. After receiving The Groove it registered a WHOPPING 47.6 mpg's to take the win! (Rick mentions 30, but the figure I got following this video is the 47 number)

While it APPEARS to be too narrow, it is not. The Groove WILL go in using the largest bit, but the leading edge (closest to the engine) will go slightly below the old surface. Still, it's enough to see tremendous gains, IF you do the rest!

So, as in all cases, remember the three rules:
Do the mods
Do the MODS
DO THE MODS!

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 26 Jan 2012 03:08 #4

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The 5.3 and the 6.0 all use the same throttle body. There is room to cut the groove, and you dont need to do anything else excet pcv. I use the full size bit and it should take about 30 to 40 min max to cut groove and re install the throttle body. The pcv vaccum is straight back from the throttle body on top intake. I use a tee to hook the hoses to the passive in front of throttle body,where it has a 90 degree bend. After you do this you`ll want to do all 5.3 and 6.0 engines!!! There is coolant lines on the bottom of throttle body. I always check the tps, which is the throttle position sensor, degree before I cut groove to get exact location. Dan gadgetman Mo.

Last edit: by dan.

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 26 Jan 2012 03:16 #5

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've already had this TB off the engine several times, that is how I know what it looks like.

This looks nothing like the TB that Ron had off the 2007 Escalade that he did the video on.

Also, only connections on this TB is the TPS and the air intake plenum.

The Venturi on this TB is contoured with the expectation of the air flow to primarily go to the low side of the throttle plate, the upper side of the Venturi is also shaped in a way to maximize the air flow to the bottom.

that raised area in the bottom view is about 3/8" in from the overall diameter of the base I.D.

I'll get a couple more pic's and post them.

If the weather is good tomorrow, I will pull the TB off and get some pic's of the inside.
Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: by TacomaKarl. Reason: Cuz

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 26 Jan 2012 23:44 #6

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
First off... Thank you Dan for making me think!! :)

So, today the sun is shining, temperature 48F, light breeze in Tacoma, Wa.

That means today the TB came off the engine and we took pictures.

What I found was an education for myself, which I will share.

The detent position of the throttle plate, when the engine is off, is not the closed position. Because the TB is computer controlled, the detent position is actually at 31 degree, which allows them to move the plate in either direction and not hit an end stop.

The full closed position shows about .500 inches of metal below the throttle plate, the idle position 17-19 degree's is in that lighter colored area closer to the closed position. Then there is the darker band which is where the groove is going to go.

You'll also notice the contouring of the venturi, my recollection on the dimensions were obviously off (pictures never forget) so there is plenty of meat to put the groove with the large bit, there may be a couple of spots that it may come through... they will be filled in before any cutting occurs

Now the pic's

Off/detent position

Closed position

Idle position 17-19 degrees

Intake manifold

and that is my 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche 5.3L Vortec TB, and now I am also more educated than before :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Last edit: by TacomaKarl. Reason: Still learning to spell

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 27 Jan 2012 00:50 #7

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You bet Karl, looks like your on your way, and as long as you cut the groove at the 15 degree it won`t go threw. This is my favorite one to groove as it is thick and easy to get off and on. I`m glad I could help , Keep doing the mods!!! Dan gadgetman Mo.

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 28 Jan 2012 00:55 #8

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Okay, groove is done

Right out of the box, before the ecu reset. Went from 14.2 mpg highway to 18.5mpg highway and I think it will be doing better on longer trips.

Fuel trims
Short pre 1.6 post -3.1
Long pre -14.1 post -11.7

Load_pct% pre 22.4 post 16.5 (I find this is an indicator of performance +/-, lower the number the better)

MAP pre 10.9 post 9.5

There is a monitor setting on the ScanGuage II that calculates Gallons per hour based on fuel consumption.

At idle, pre .380GPH post .30GPH

I have reset the ecu and will be going back out later this evening so we will see what the learning curve will be.

I also have not moved the PCV off the manifold yet, although prior to this I had reduced the flow of the tube to a .050" hole. I will move it off completely this weekend.

There was one spot on the TB that I thought I was going to break through and I did.

Filled that puppy up giving it a new design.

Happy to be a Gadgetman

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Last edit: by TacomaKarl. Reason: Add photo's

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 28 Jan 2012 01:25 #9

• mill2566
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl,
Nice pictures! I have a 2004 with the 5.3 that I send in to have it grooved. I have reset the computer and my fuel trims are -3 to +5 and long are +8. What I am think is the location of the groove is off? I do not have any codes past or upcoming.
Thanks,
Dave

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 28 Jan 2012 01:49 #10

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Dave,

Have you done anything with the PCV line or checked any of your other vacuum connections.

The efficiency of the Groove as far as MPG gains is dependant on the vacuum in the manifold. The higher the vacuum, the more efficient the groove and the engine.

Also, this is not a performance enhancement, it is a efficiency enhancement, performance is a secondary gain.

The more the throttle plate stays in the groove area the more you will get out of it.
Since you do have a ecu scanner, check your throttle position at idle... usually 'TPS'

Note at what angle it is set at while idling. You can pull the TB off and while still plugged in turn your ignition switch to the on position ( do not start the engine... ain't gonna work, heheh) monitor your scanner and manually position the throttle plate to the idle position and check that against the groove edge. The groove should be just below the throttle plate at that time.

But definitely go through and check your vacuum lines and the PCV if you have not done it yet. That more than likely may change things for you.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Wa.
Gadgetman Tacoma

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 28 Jan 2012 02:28 #11

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dave, the computer may not have totally reset. Try resetting again and make sure the long fuel trims are 0 If the shorts are hitting neg then the long will learn. Karl is right about pcv,that should gain some mpg don`t be agressive at first on the driving pattern as it takes much longer to learn to cut fuel. Dan gadgetman Mo.

Re: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3L Vortec Engine 28 Jan 2012 12:09 #12

• AronCheek
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:woohoo: Hey Karl, this is GadgetmanNebraska.

I love your pictures of throttle body. I have done 4-5 of these I believe and what a horsepower response they have.

These are possibly the fastest mods to do, 20 to 30 minutes sometimes and they seem to cut easier than any other that we do.

I would also like to know if you have the ScangaugeII and if you do how do you get it to read fuel trims?

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming, very important to newcomers and people seeing the groove for the first time. GadgetmanNebraska