Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello from Abingdon Va!

Hello from Abingdon Va! 21 Dec 2012 06:21 #1

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:woohoo: I'm gearing up to groove my 2005 f150. Any advise of special interest from past experiences with this vehicle?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hello from Abingdon Va! 21 Dec 2012 14:06 #2

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hello mike

we need to know engine size and if cable drive throttle or flyby wire.

could be 4.2 4.6 or 5.4 they are simple they just come off alittle diff 4.2 set right in the front they are the easiest 4.6 and 5.4 are towards the back the f250 are also diff.

Re: Hello from Abingdon Va! 21 Dec 2012 14:29 #3

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This class of vehicle has a unique characteristic post-groove. That is their tendency to set up a whistle at certain RPMs. Some find this terribly annoying, and it presents at different volume levels.

I have no solution, although I have tried!!! It has something to do with the flow through the air box as it enters the throttle and the angle at which it hits The Groove.

The PCV port will require a 5/8" cap. These are located in the far rear of the upper intake behind the throttle assembly. They can be difficult to remove, but are generally straightforward. The big thing is getting hold of them! I use a large screwdriver (I call her "Big Bertha") and simply lever it off, capping it with what is sold as a 'heater by-pass cap' and is commonly available in blister packs.

That ought to be enough to get you started!

HAPPY END OF THE WORLD DAY!!!!

You ALL should be subscribed to GroovyServiBulletins - YouTube !!! This info and much more is recorded there for the world, but especially for us Gadgetmen.

If you solve a difficult install, RECORD IT. Post it to your own YouTube and let me know about it so I can repost it on Groovy Service Bulletins.

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Re: Hello from Abingdon Va! 31 Jan 2013 06:51 #4

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Okay... I have yet to perform the groove on my 05 f150. Fear has been a big demotivator. I rely heavily on this vehicle for work every day. I am driving to the auto parts store today to get the tb gasget, the cap for the vacuum line, and epoxy just in case this becomes a disaster.

The vehicle specs are:

2005 F150, 6cyl 4.2L

I have had no issues with this enginge to this point. The odom reads 150,000 + miles. I have performed vacuum leak tests using the starter fluid method and the engine did not indicate any leaks prior to the mod. Are there any hidden tricks to this that anyone can share?

P.S. It has been many years since I have been a true gear head. The last time I was under the hood was in early 1990's rebuilding a 289 from my 67' mustang. I am now very much a green horn.

Thanks,
Mick

Re: Hello from Abingdon Va! 31 Jan 2013 07:40 #5

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You wont have any problems this is one of the easiest to do after the throttlebody off

happy grooving

Re: Hello from Abingdon Va! 31 Jan 2013 07:55 #6

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I prefer water the bits dont gum up as bad. Dont force hard let bit dig acool as often as possible with water youll have great results

2005 F-150 18 Feb 2013 13:05 #7

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Okay... It's been nearly 3 weeks post groove to the 2005 F150.
Here is what I have noticed:

1. The engine seems to idle more smoothly.
2. No noticeable difference in gas mileage.
3. A high pitch whistle between 30-40 mph.
4. Slightly quicker response off the line.

Steps I have taken to this date.

1. Upgraded the air filter to an oiled filter.
2. Modified the air filter housing to mimic a K&N upgrade.
3. Cleaned the mass airflow sensor.
4. Cut the groove.
5. Used a cleaner for the fuel and oil systems.
6. Checked for any vacuum leaks.
7. Double checked the groove.

I will be resetting the computer once more following the steps outlined in the operations manual.
Besides the mapster is there anything else I need to consider?

Regards,
Mick Legris
276-525-0231

2005 F-150 19 Feb 2013 09:18 #8

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Mick,

Two things, did you do anything with the PCV connection and according to the web this engine has an IAC valve, did you do anything with that?

things that make ya go... Whaaaatt? :)

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

2005 F-150 19 Feb 2013 09:30 #9

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl,
I did cap off the PCV valve but am unaware of the iac valve. I will research the iac. Am I supposed to cap it off?
Mick

Last edit: by Mick Legris.

Hello from Abingdon Va! 19 Feb 2013 10:28 #10

• mpgmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Here is another trick that works with your era Ford. The MAF will have a tan wire with a blue tracer. Cut that wire and solder in a 180k ohm resistor. 1/4 watt will do ya. Cover the bare wire and resistor with heat shrink tubing (at least electrical tape) and you're done. Give it a shot!

Mike

Hello from Abingdon Va! 19 Feb 2013 11:23 #11

• Mick Legris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mike, what exactly will installing a resister on the tan MAF wire do?

Hello from Abingdon Va! 19 Feb 2013 15:04 #12

• mpgmike
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Something comparable to what the MAPster does on applicable vehicles. It will show less load on the engine by showing less air going in.

Mike

• Page: