Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Name your question or subject in the TOPIC section so we know what you're talking about!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 29 Jan 2013 01:35 #13

• Ron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It seems you have some bigger fish to fry right now, Jason. The problems you are having are almost certainly with the electrical system, although your mileage decrease is probably related to the MAP.

At least that's my theory at present, after seeing what proper modulation of the MAP did for another demonstrating some of your symptomology.

Your alternator is most certainly suffering, but I suspect the problem runs deeper than that. I suspect with the previous owner they experienced their "problems" and if they attempted to start it with low voltage in the bat, then it is very possible they damaged several parts of your ignition wiring.

In particular, the ignition switch, the starter relay and possibly the neutral safety switch. This is a common issue, and (if true) the problems will only worsen over time.

Based on what I read, I suspect there is a growing fault in your alt as well.

We'll chat about it, but you should prepare yourself.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 29 Jan 2013 04:05 #14

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well here's my 2 cent's worth...

First of all cold temps usually hurt MPG, for all the obvious reasons.

From my auto. electric class years ago I think a fully charged battery is 12.65 Volts, at 60 or 70 degreed F. A batt at 12 V is discharged.

Not directly relevant; but NEVER try to jump or charge a frozen battery, they can explode!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 03:52 #15

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 17
Oh boy, this is becoming quite a nightmare, someone please convince me to continue on.
Things were ok before I ever started this journey. My 36MPG should have satisfied me.
In desperation I've recently done several little extras to the car:
- made a ground to the radiator
- added a computer harddrive magnet to the fuel line(N pole facing the flow)

Attachment Magnetized_Fuel Line_2013-01-29_2013-01-29.JPG not found

- attempted insulating the IAT sensor by wrapping tiny wire around most of it & supergluing. But, it didn't want to hold, so I gave up on it for now.
Here's what my IAC sensor looks like:

Attachment IAT Sensor_2000 Honda Civic Ex.jpg not found

Speaking of which, I found what seems to be a better method of tricking the IAT by using a resistor to simulate a desired air temperature reading, thus manipulating gas ratio.(haven't tried it yet)

Attachment IAT Sensor_Resistor-Mod.gif not found

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: image format not compatable

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 05:17 #16

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Another thing I also want to add is that my Upstream O2 Sensor has 4 wires.
According to one of the documents discussing 'Sensors, Catalytic Converters, and The Gadgetman Groove':
O2 Sensors with 3 or more wires will result in the vehicle getting low gains in MPG, maybe none, at worse actually loose!

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 14:39 #17

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Back to the basics,any!!!!!!!!!resistors or voltage manipulaters will be picked up by the ecu and you will NOT get better mpg for long.
The ecu is a learn computer thatchecks in 3 stages ign on, run and shut down, if they dont fall into parameters ecu will open loop or dump fuel mode.

If I were you go back to basic groove only and reset ecu overnight then allow it to relearn gradually no fooling components,people doing the hho thing fight this daily thats why there is so much failure.

one thing to remember is the load factor , the ecu will pick up the extra load if the alt or batt is not up to par adding fuel,as the load increases so does the fuel consumption.

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 18:34 #18

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks for the warning. Luckily I did NOT apply the resistor, so I'm still ok. Right?

The only mods I've applied so far are:
- The Groove
- Rerouted PCV dynamic hose to PCV breather hose via a 'T' connection into the Fresh Air Intake Tube
- Grounded Radiator to negative battery terminal
- Added Magnet to Fuel Line

Are you suggesting that grounding the radiator and/or magnetizing the fuel is a problem?

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 19:36 #19

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
rad ground is ok Ive tested many magnet type fuel savers and they all claim mpg on the liquid,Ive had no luck but in vapor form yes it will increase mpg you can actually watch gasoline vapors change directions with the right configuration. Try blocking rad some to see if hotter engine helps mpg.

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 30 Jan 2013 21:20 #20

• JV
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Ok, I just did some research into the Radiator Grounding mod.
Maybe this isn't a real problem but, it needs to considered (assuming you gadgetmen haven't already debunked it).

Please read about it in the following post.

Last edit: by JV. Reason: TYPO

Re: The Basics of Installing a Groovy Throttle Body 31 Jan 2013 07:52 #21

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I would say if you dont feel comfortable doing it dont. All vehicles are different so what works for one doesnt mean it will for all. The ecus are all different also .

Something everyone forgets is each vehicle is different and will have different results as there are alot of variables.

Like if I teach you to play pool and use my stick and play on the same table doesnt mean you will play the same and get the same results. Thats why car manufacturers cant say presice mpg,to many variables!!!!!

• Page: