Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 31 May 2013 20:44 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hello all. Ok, I'll admit it, I probably ought to be in a 12-step program for Engine Mod Addicts...Modders Anonymous, M.A for short? :unsure: LOL

The whole Plasma Spark gig has a mythos surrounding it Re: how this ferocious spark discharge reacts with Water. Sounds crazy of course, water puts fires out, right? But just go on youtube and watch all the video dem's of experimenters doing this--dozens of 'em!

So I'm going out on a limb...I ordered a simple water mist/vapor injection system called the Mistifyer.

This might work, it might not. Dunno, gonna give 'er a try. I talked to Von Hubbard the Inventor, he seems OK. we shall See.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 03 Jun 2013 11:22 #2

• Wayne Meador
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

TracyG wrote: Hello all. Ok, I'll admit it, I probably ought to be in a 12-step program for Engine Mod Addicts...Modders Anonymous, M.A for short? :unsure: LOL

The whole Plasma Spark gig has a mythos surrounding it Re: how this ferocious spark discharge reacts with Water. Sounds crazy of course, water puts fires out, right? But just go on youtube and watch all the video dem's of experimenters doing this--dozens of 'em!

So I'm going out on a limb...I ordered a simple water mist/vapor injection system called the Mistifyer.

This might work, it might not. Dunno, gonna give 'er a try. I talked to Von Hubbard the Inventor, he seems OK. we shall See.

Tracy G

Hi Tracy,

It was good talking to you last night, and thank you for all of your ideas! I can't wait to see this thing work and see your results.

I'm guessing that it will give you some extra, we shall see...

Wayne, SC
Gadgetman Carolina's

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 07 Jun 2013 20:36 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well, so far so good. The Mistifyer is simple, maybe deceptively so. I don't like using manifold vac. as the entry for the water, but that's how this works.

Last day or two, the Subaru has run very well, it's been hot here mid-upper 90's and the Subie usually likes that. But I've had a major brake system issue this week distracting me w/ it. IT's like you're fishing at a remote lake and they are really starting to bite- you turn around on the bank to open the tackle box, and here's Mr Bear approaching...gotta put the rod down! LOL

I'm HOPING this simple device is helping, it's running well now--but I CANT do much driving in this car 'till the Brakes are completely fixed. Brakes are the #1 most important thing in ANY car!! :angry:

Onward, I'll know more later....

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 11 Jun 2013 00:27 #4

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Tracy, am anxious to hear the results of the Mistifyer when your brakes are fixed.
Will give it a try for sure if you give the thumbs up. Anything to increase mileage and HP is something I want to know.
Will try to give him a call and get some info if I can.
Is it your Subie that you have the Extreme Spark plugs in also? Will get those also if you recommend them.

Last edit: by Karl411.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 11 Jun 2013 19:51 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Karl, yes it's ALL in my 85 Subie wagon. I've crossed a kind of Rubicon w/ this car. Re: my brake system issues, 2 different Brake shops refused to work on this car. Maybe if I took some shots of what is there to see when the hood is raised you might see what I'm sayin' here.

I'm certain this is the Only Subaru like it On Earth. All the added wiring, the MSD, the diode blocks, the air/oil separator hoses, the HAFC HHO generator, cut-back air cleaner lid for the K&N filter (you cant see the Groove in the carb. of course) and the Air Tabs out back on the body...well I could spend quite ahwhile attempting to explain it all to anyone looking at this collection of Gadgets...

the Brakes are just stock stuff of course, but both shop Mgr's, while helpful w/ advice, etc. were AFRAID to do brake work on this 'lil Subie!. I'm sure they would do a hotrod w/ a blower, dual carbs, a turbo, Custom wheels, roll bar, whatever...'cause they've SEEN that stuff before! That's all MAINSTREAM CONVENTIONAL stuff, like they may have already had themselves.

Diode blocks w/ heavy leads going into the spark plug wire boots, so there's now 2 heavy leads into the plug boots...??! :blink: "Wh,ww,WHAT's That there...?

The necessary extra wiring for the Plasma Spark mod IS kinda messy. I wanted to make it all reliable, but I'm not a Wire Loom Manufacturer. For this mod, ya gotta do it yourself, even if ya get one of the few kits around. Maybe there are some of these upgrades going on in tuner shops, I dunno. But not on any other base model Subaru...

Not necessary to build the whole cake like me. Just look at what the Ignition is on any Gas engine, there is ALWAYS room for improvement w/ stock Ignitions! :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 11 Jun 2013 21:31 #6

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
:ohmy: Wow Tracy, with all those mods, what is your MPG?
Should be getting good gains with all the work/mods you did.

BTW....Just talked to Von for over 35 minutes and ordered the system.
Very nice guy and took the time to chat about the device like Ron does.
He said he remembered talking to you and that you had a small engine and you should put the device on a larger one. :P Told him I know you through Gadgetman and he said you also mentioned the TB groove
to him and he has to look it up.
If it helps clean the engine also, then that is another plus for making the engine last longer.
Need all the help I can these days with making things last since our economy is ready to go off a cliff and probably before years end. Need to get as much miles and life out of my truck before
things hit the fan and gas goes balistic with the crash of our fiat dollar.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 12 Jun 2013 21:17 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Karl, what vehicle/engine do you plan to install the Mistifyer on? I finally got my brakes into decent shape again ( I hope, this car has a mind of it's own) and so drove it a few miles, just got back. Mr. Von may be right in suggesting his device be installed on a larget engine than my Subie. I will call him again and give a couple suggestions/ideas I have about it and ask re: adjustments to it.

I have been modifying my driving style more in line w/ what Von shows in his video. I upshift sooner and run in a higher gear, unless really needing substantial power. Oddly enough, that does seem to work much of the time. I may try the Mistifyer on my 225-cu.in Slant six in my Dart just to see...

I'd like this product more if it did create a finer mist or vapor. Been fiddiling w/ adjustments, but so far it's either not flowing water, or too much. I DO dislike tapping into man. vac to connect this. My Subaru is inconsistent already, I should have named it Sybil! :blink:

MPG varies a lot w/ this car, It is basically an under=powered flatland car, might like a lower altitude as well. I't's only FWD, not 4WD. All the Mod's including the Groove HAVE helped power, but I really wish I had found a turbo version of this one. My buddy George in Phoenix--Ron Grooved his '87 turbo GL wagon Subaru last year and it worked wonders for that ride, George got an impressive increase in both power AND MPG. I know, 'cause I drove it while I was there last year for Training w/ Ron!

So MPG's--well driving here in Reno/Sparks NV is very inconsistent. And as I once heard--you never take the same trip twice, even on the same road. Too many variables, weather, temp, humidity, but the biggie is the Driver. Ask any Hypermiler, that is first a State of Mind. You must exert control and focus to watch how you drive. You can't control traffic unless you drive at 3 AM when the road is empty, but many other things can/will still exert influence on results. My last MPG run to Fallon gave disappointing results, 34.6 MPG, 2 weeks ago. I'm not certain, but carbon in the engine may be cleaning out and getting stuck in the Cat's. That's one thing I think the Mistifyer can help deal with.

I so far can't say that adding water w/ the Mistifyer gave a significant boost in power, despite what can be seen in so many youtube vid's of water sprayed on a Plasma spark. Might be that a bigger mj rated CDI and even different spark plugs could give varying results, I'm unsure. My CDI is smallest in mj- one MSD makes, used on advice of Aaron Murakami's info pkg. Maybe this is just too crude a way to add water...? My idea is a true Vapor form of H2O would be best.

I'd sure like to see someone else's ideas about any of this! B)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl411

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 12 Jun 2013 21:45 #8

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Plan on installing on my Mazda b2500/Ford Ranger 2.5L 4 cylinder(8plugs)5 speed stick 119 HP engine.
Disappointed to hear you didnt get better results. Maybe depends on the vehicle like the groove.
Some vehicles get stellar results and some dont. Then again I guess it could be a fly in the ointment with a vac leak or a host of other little things we dont see. Bet if it didnt have a computer and all those other gadgets which are not there for better MPG, it would be easier to get positive results.
He said he did a 2002 Ranger and it performed well. Hoping I will get good results also.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 15 Jun 2013 10:44 #9

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I performed a mod through the mail on a 98 Ranger with the same engine. The last mileage report I got from the customer was a very sweet and stable 54 mpg's.

Of course, that was a 98, and there may have been some additional controls instituted in the four year gap, but it does show what's possible!

Ron

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 15 Jun 2013 12:11 #10

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the hope Ron. I still feel I should have success with the groove since the grooves principle helps the engine with MPG and HP and the difference is felt right away for many.
I have heard success with the same engine but different years.
Mine is a 2000(Mazda B2500 and Ford Ranger same engine) and have missed something with my truck since I am not getting any jump in HP
or MPG after grooving. Changed the IAC as suggested and even put a restrictor plate in but the
engine idle went from 750rpms to over 1600rpms with the plate. Kept widening the whole until it
was about 3/8" and that still didnt help the high RPMs. So I took the plate out and its back to normal 750rpms. Then put a plate on the EGR to seal off and see if that was the leak in vacuum and why I wasnt getting any HP increase. That didnt work either since there is no difference in HP so am going to take it off today after trying it sealed off for a week. Did notice the exhaust had more of an exhaust smell after plugging EGR. Was a cleaner smell before I plugged it so I am guessing its the unburnt HC's coming out the pipe where before it was being rerouted into the TB and burnt.
So with the IAC and EGR eliminated as vacuum leaks and after spraying carb cleaner on all parts that I thought would be a possible leak, I am still at ground zero. The PVC is rerouted prior to TB and the manifold intake it was connected to is plugged.
It could be my lack of knowledge of an engine(much more complicated than my 70 Nova I had years ago)that keeps me from getting to the problem. :huh:
I know I didnt cut the groove as good as I could since the bit doesnt sit tight as the manual suggests but I read that if its not cut clean, I still should at least see a difference in the HP, just not as much progress in HP and MPG as if it were a good cut.
Really dont want to start gapping plugs 20% wider or using other devices until I find the vac leak and get the full effects of the groove first but the only thing I know to do is take it to a dealer and have them run a vacuum test and find the leak if that is possible.
Kinda bummed out that I didnt get the results right away that many get. :(
Here is the links to my previous posts on my groove. Maybe I am missing something.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 15 Jun 2013 16:06 #11

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Karl, would you be willing to send me your throttle body for inspection?

And did you gain access to the PCV hose and apply a cap? (under the intake manifold, I believe)You say it was rerouted...

Ron

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Trying some water w/ my Plasma Jet Ignition 15 Jun 2013 20:36 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hello all. today I removed the Mistifyer from the Subaru. IT didn't like it.

Von, the Inventor is a very nice fellow, and I plan to contact him and talk further about it. not sure but it may have been originally intended for larger engines than mine. Info in his video above indicated he came up w/ it many years ago. But he did mention having it on a motorcycle.

I had issues adjusting it either didn't flow at idle or flowed too much. And once flowing an appreciable amount it caused rough running, as Von says it can. I'm not un-recommending it to others, it may indeed do well for other applications. The subaru is only 1.8 liters, and the intake manifold is basically a long pipe w/ 2 cylinders at each end, carb. on a center plenum.

IF I could buy the car all over again I would only buy the Turbo version. I've worked and thought and modded this thing a lot, it's basically under-powered, though far better than before w/ Groove in carb. base and Plasma ignition.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

• Page: