Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about other methods for increasing fuel efficiency.

TOPIC: Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 08 Sep 2016 20:31 #1

• Scott Castleberg
  • Mechanical Coach SUPERSTAR
  • Thank you received: 12
I've been trying to find links to Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg aspirin recipe. Based on conversations with Dan, I made a few vaporizers, but cannot find the aspirin recipe.

Can anyone show me the yellow brick road?

Thanks
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 09 Sep 2016 00:02 #2

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ok, the computer gods are messing w/ me tonite! My 3rd try at a reply:

Scott, look in Tools of the Trade folder in the Index button, top left corner of forum front page. Look for the 2 MPG Remedy threads...Start w/ the older thread.

After using crushed uncoated aspirin 375 mg tablets for awhile, I bought Anaprin pure animal aspirin crystal powder on amazon. was about 15 bucks shipped for a 16Oz jar, a near lifetime supply. IF trying aspirin tablets, they must be the uncoated 375 mg ones, which are sometimes harder to find.

Alcohol- it's a carrier fluid to mix the aspirin into the gas. I used Everclear booze ethanol, but it is pricey. Ron told me that most any alcohol would work, walmart has 91% Isopropyl 32 OZ bottle, for about 4 bucks. I used 35% food grade H2O2 from the health food store. Anaprin has only pure aspirin in it, no fillers. w/ Anaprin, I usually get little to no particles left in the mix. I wound up mixing it together in a glass jar, then placing jar, w/ the lid loose, in a hot water bath in a saucepan to aid aspirin dissolving completely.Sometimes the mix turns purple after this.

Most all who have tried it in whatever ratios or formula, and reported back here, have had success w/ it. Including me. EXCEPT- I was mixing in way too much aspirin, this made the acidity too strong for Subie's Weber carb. Had to replace the float and other soft internal parts. No one else has mentioned any problems w/ it. I'd say try it, but go easy w/ it. I started using half as many uncoated 375 mg aspirin as gallons of gas. I'd say back the ratio of aspirin down some from that. Lastly, I'd say the top gasket gas seepage on the Weber, and the internal part damage, actually confirms this mix is chemically active.

Try it, just don't drink the stuff! :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 10 Sep 2016 15:17 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Right, dissolve the aspirin in a very small bit of the H2O2, and then add the alcohol, filter, and drop it in the tank with fuel. What's worked best for me is one aspirin for every 5-6 gallons of fuel, but I use 89 octane E5 rather than regular 87 octane E10 because I found I got better mileage from it before using the remedy, and this has pushed it beyond that.

Scott- do you still have that GM minivan that you grooved? Pontiac Montana was it, with the 3.5? That's what's in my Rendezvous... do you recall what you had the plugs gapped to?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 11 Sep 2016 20:31 #4

• Scott Castleberg
  • Thank you received: 12
Okay, let me get this right. For my 1999 Silverado with the 5.3 vortex, I need the following combination :

30 gallon tank

1 aspirin per 5 gallons gas
Approx 1 1/2 oz hydrogen peroxide
Approx 5 oz isopropl alcohol.

Writing formulas like this looks better to me than sticking it in a sentence.

Let me know if I need to adjust the above amounts.

Also, anything on the fuel vaporizer?

Thanks guys. I do all my writing on my smartphone, so I don't do much

Also, my olds silhouette is gone. It had the 3.4 l v6. It grooved well, but mpg was a struggle.

Scott,
Scott Castleberg
Gadgetman Pellston MI

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 11 Sep 2016 22:06 #5

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'm not sure you'd need that much peroxide (the 30-35% stuff from a health food store, not Walgreens pharmacy 3% stuff). I use just enough to dissolve the aspirin. Same for the alcohol- 5 oz sounds like a lot. Maybe it's a scale thing, but if I add 4oz TOTAL to my tank (and I don't measure liquids), that seems to do the trick. But mine is only 18gal, so maybe your proportions are right for you. Play with it and see what works best...

A Google search for Dan's vaporizer will get you to a distributor, iirc. Who knows if they're in business, have stock, can reach him...he's disappeared from these parts, and is greatly missed. Maybe his email/phone contacts in his profile still work...encourage him to come back if you manage to make contact please!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Codered1 19 Sep 2016 20:44 #6

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 3
A heater or heat source (like exhaust) for the fuel, at least for the vapor making.

Last edit: by Ryker Cowles.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 20 Sep 2016 19:16 #7

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
splicing into the coolant system would be safer than using exhaust heat when it comes to fuel (if I'm following your thinking, that is...).

My old Truck, a 2001 Mazda B3000, had an aluminum intake manifold that included a water jacket to warm the intake air post MAF, which is another approach. I bypassed it and found I got better mileage, probably from the quicker warm up to closed loop. (the heat exchange between cool intake air and hot engine coolant - the air wouldve been warmed, but the engine itself wouldve given heat to the air, slowing entry to closed loop fuel delivery...maybe, possibly, or causing fluctuation between open and closed loops, depending on air temp.) I never thought of taking those coolant hoses and making a coil around the line from the fuel pump to fuel rail - I just linked them together to keep the plumbing flowing as it should - in retrospect, it wouldve been VERY easy to try.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Codered1 20 Sep 2016 21:12 #8

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Less heat soak, that's why I want to make a phenolic plastic insulator, to keep heat in the head which increases runner length, which increases torque. Incredibly critical for oil cooler to be installed if done, as the intake manifold is... was a passive radiator. This will make the motor heat up faster, although O2 Sensor will have priority regardless. Installing a heated O2 sensor boosted my mileage by 5mpg for short trips (30 min/30 mile drive), haven't tested extremely short trip mileage, which netted 20mpg for 5 min/5 mile trips.

The coolant jacket is actually more so to heat the TB and keep ice from building up and sticking.

As for exhuast... really? I could have swore airplanes used exhaust to pressurize and prevent/put out fuel fires, so quite safe. Install a heat exchanger jacket around the tank, much like a electric blanket. Just hard to build/assemble, but very effective as you are using existing heat instead of heaters. Ethier way though you will need an electric heater to prime system to 350+ Fahrenheit. As exhaust starts the heat up gasoline the electric heaters would turn off. That is for a full fuel vapor setup. Ether way the gas needs to be heated unless your using a small enough hose that it won't flash freeze the fuel, it still won't be very effective ether way unless, again, heated.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 20 Sep 2016 23:12 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Greg, if you see this tonight 20 Sept, check your email NOW asap. thanks, Tracy
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Codered1 21 Sep 2016 10:31 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Passive radiator - YES! that's what I found...and I wish I had known about the oil cooler, if that's what caused oil pump failure and subsequent engine seizure...

in planes, the exhaust is used to de-ice carb plates so they don't freeze in place. This EGR placement reduces engine power when the system is engaged. I've not tried leaning fuel delivery while carb heat is on to see if the leaning maintains power...

when you suggested exhaust heat to heat fuel closer to vapour state, I was thinking along the lines of an inductive coil around exhaust manifold.

Medtactics, please introduce yourself so we know who you are...even just your first name is good.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

1999 Saturn SC2 21 Sep 2016 14:18 #11

• Ryker Cowles
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hmm doubt it... but it could have boiled the oil, creating a cavitation bubble in the pump... which would make it fail.

Charles Lindbergh, look up his technique.

Meh, NASA has already accomplished that.

Ryker... hmm introduce my self? I wouldn't... I don't know what to say.

Last edit: by Ryker Cowles.

Dan Merricks fuel vaporizer and mpg recipe 22 Sep 2016 12:02 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The Lindbergh Leaning technique? I believe I found it in one of my texts...if/when I own a plane (Ha!), I'll be using it any time I have to cruise high and long (possibly next month if I go to Myrtle Beach)

Welcome to Gadgetmanland, Ryker. thanks for bringing your experience and perspective to this place!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile