Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved

2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 21 Oct 2012 20:20 #1

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
New to the personal license program, but not new to the groove. Ron grooved a TB for me a while back. Have been in contact with him ever since. Anyway, just grooved my Elantra, rerouted the pvc, reset the ecu, and regapped the plugs to .050. stock is .044. All is good, ltft is reading in the negatives, but will need to put some miles on this puppy. Now for the not so good news. The 2011 1.8l drive by wire TB is thin on the left side near the shaft and needs to be built up on the outside. The rest of the cut is thick enough. Thin region is at the 7:00 to 9:00 area.

Jim G
Williamsport,Pa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 21 Oct 2012 21:39 #2

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jim,

Good info. :)

Question - does this engine have an Idle Air Control or do they use the fly-by-wire to handle the warmup sequence?

Welcome aboard

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, washington

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 21 Oct 2012 21:54 #3

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Karl

No idle air, fly by wire. Have some pictures to upload, and soon, mileage reports. I would imagine the 2012, 2013 are the same. Will be grooving my 2010 Subaru Forester next.

Jim G

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 22 Oct 2012 13:18 #4

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\1021121344.jpg[/attachment]
Before and after pictures. Fairly easy to mod. The 2 small coolant lines on the tb were the hardest to get loose. The pcv hose at the intake increased in diameter. Thats where I cut and plugged. Other end of hose was long enough to connect to breather hose connection. Was also easier to unhook radiator hose and bend back out of way. This car has 52k on it already, and will update mpg's soon.

Jim G

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 22 Oct 2012 13:24 #5

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Here is the before picture.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 06 Nov 2012 07:27 #6

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Jim! Thanks for the pics.

I'm trying to understand the PCv re-route on your Hyundai. Maybe you got before/after pics mixed up? Did PCV originally mount to intake next to TB, and you cut a hole in air duct next to breather fitting to re-route it? If so, how did you plug original PCV hole in intake?

I stared at your pics a bit and that is my guess... If I'm right did you need to add a grommet to hole in duct to mount PCV?

Just tryin' to learn from what ya did...again if I'm right that looks better than cutting breather line and adding a tee to connect PCV. So If I'm right, then thanks for showing a technique!:cheer:

If I'm wrong then I have something to learn here!

Thannks Jim!
TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 06 Nov 2012 11:40 #7

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Tracy,

The original pcv location is at the intake plenum on left. The hose diameter just at the intake increased to about 1/2". So I cut it there,and the small piece I cut off, just glued on a rubber end cap and used silicone to seal. Don't want any vacuum leaks! At the intake hose, I used a 90 degree plastic fitting for hose to connect to. Just drilled a hole in rubber for a tight fit. Did this on my sons truck also, and looks like a factory job.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Last edit: by jim g. Reason: spell check first!

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 06 Nov 2012 15:56 #8

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You will find the large caps needed for these type of ports in the parts store, but they aren't sold as Vac Caps. They are sold as Heater By-Pass Caps.

An assortment runs about $5.

Hope this helps!

Great work, Jim.

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 07 Nov 2012 05:56 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply! I guessed right. And yes that IS a nice clean job how you tapped into air intake duct. I originally was asking myself why is he talking about a re-route when the factory ran the hose into the air intake duct...:huh:

So now I have a new technique in my mental trick bag!

BTW, I have done ebay and Google searches for Silicone vacuum caps, and have seen them. Ron is correct about the heater bypass caps they are available as he says. But- I have seen a couple of those deteriorate fairly quickly underhood, hence my search for silicone ones.

Thanks Jim and Ron!!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 12 Dec 2012 00:06 #10

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mileage report. After over 4000 mi. not seeing any gains. I drive 400 - 600 mi a week. Not sure what I can do. I hear the bottle whistle while running. This engine has dual intake runners. At least thats what the specs say. I would take that as using the longer runner for normal driving, and shorter for more power, higher rpms. there appears to be a vacuum operated valve for switching. The longer path may be hindering the groove effect?. Would love to see the inside of this intake runner. We need a tech that works at Hyundai for some insight. Any help out there, please respond.
Jim G

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 12 Dec 2012 03:29 #11

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Jim,
shoot me some fuel trim readings idle and also 65 to 70 mph we might be able to tell the problem.

Re: 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L just grooved 13 Dec 2012 00:05 #12

• jim g
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Dan,

at idle
stft -0.7 to 0.7
ltft 0.0

at 70mph
stft 0.7 to -5.6
ltft 0.7 to -1.5