Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: New to the Gadgetman groove

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 12:21 #25

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
It can be added after the re-route, and you can make one yourself. Look at Tracy's posts.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 12:25 #26

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks so much guys and let's keep up the good work

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 12:28 #27

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Keep us posted on your progress, please. Pictures are good; so are mileage reports.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 12:30 #28

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Will do
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 20:38 #29

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I'll blab in here after the fact- Kev, as heysoundude says, you can add an AOS as and when you see fit. Details of them I've extensively posted in the Index. DIY catch cans, Euro- type cyclone separators, all about it. I stress to watch closely for signs of oil, oil vapor, and water anywhere in the re-routed PCV system, crankcase, the oil fill cap, and oil dipstick. Done right, the various AOS setupa can catch nasties and prevent trouble, I have a full setup on my 85 Subaru, it needs it esp. in winter! Misunderstanding the crankcase vent. and PCV system is common, don't be afraid to ask Q/A, and post up pics of what yer' doin! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 21:07 #30

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Now here's the thing. I haven't done anything to my 02 f150 yet and last time I did an oil change on the truck i noticed a white creamy crap on the oil cap when I went to fill the oil? What does that mean? I got water in my oil?

New to the Gadgetman groove 16 Feb 2015 23:48 #31

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
That would be the best case, water condensate in your oil. A seperator should help with minimizing that.
Worst case is engine coolant, meaning a head gasket leak or warped/cracked head. These are somewhat more time consuming and expensive to rectify.
How's the heat in the truck? I know my little Ranger (Mazda B-Series, actually) doesn't get properly warm when my coolant gets low.
Have your coolant levels been falling, requiring top-up? does the temp gauge spike? It's tough in this cold we're having to tell if the exhaust is white because of burning coolant...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 17 Feb 2015 10:13 #32

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
None of the above. The coolant and heat have been spot on. I'm thinking it's just condensation in the motor. The oil was clean when I changed it. It was just on the bottom of the oil cap

New to the Gadgetman groove 17 Feb 2015 10:30 #33

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
You said this was a new engine? A rebuild, new to you? Maybe it's the old oil filler cap, from the old/troubled engine then.

Get a catch can happening and see if the creamy foam goes away...it may anyway, when the weather warms up and fuel formulation reverts back to normal from winterized gas.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 17 Feb 2015 10:40 #34

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
New/used engine.The engine came from California with 80,000 miles/ 123,000 km. I think it's just condensation cuz I've change the oil before it got cold and it was fine. I think it's just the cold weather but I will add one of those catch cans and see what happens

New to the Gadgetman groove 17 Feb 2015 20:11 #35

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Ditto to ya, Kev, that white milkshake goo under oil fill cap is from condensation mixing w/ oil vapors there, my Subie does that some in cold wet weather. Oil fill cap is prob. cooler than surrounding material and so water vapor condenses there. A decent AOS like the one I made will catch much of the water vapor. I'm letting mine fill w/ water/crankcase vapors all winter long so I can see how much it traps by springtime. For the Subie, I found that I had to do a modified PCV re-route in winter-I left the PCV connected stock, but installed a restricter in the hose. If I re-route it fully, w/ man. vac. capped, this engine gets too much water condensation in crankcase. The Subie engine is all-aluminum, it heats/cools rapidly, and in winter, it's like a water collector! Of course, now that I have this all sussed-out, we are having a dry warm winter here...As you guys up North and East are gettin' slammed...

When thinking about PCV re-routing, idle air control valve mods, and other things, If I'm concerned w/ someone in another area, I consider what the climate there is like...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

New to the Gadgetman groove 17 Feb 2015 20:52 #36

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Now that makes sence. These f150 all have aluminum heads. Now being a sprinkler fitter we use something called a low point drain on dry sprinkler system in parking garages. In a dry sprinkler system we use air instead of water so it does freeze in the colder weather and these low point drains collect any condensation that happens as the temperature warms up and cools down. I think I'll try to make one out of 1/2" pipe with a ball 1/2 ball valve and see how that works out. I also tried to see the pictures you put up but I'm having no luck in seeing them.