Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute

Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 28 Aug 2012 06:11 #1

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm happy to report that I met Ron! I actually met Ron and his wife Debbie. Great people. He grooved my 2008 Mazda Tribute. Did not cap the PCV valve since we both did not have enough time and we couldn't find it.

I did find where my PCV Valve is located. Located right under the intake manifold and underneath the throttle body. Here is a better explanation:

Pcv valve on a 2.3 Liter 4-cylinder Mazda tribute is buried under the intake manifold. It is approximately under the throttle valve. It is NOT inserted into a rubber grommet in the rocker cover. It is screwed into the lower intake manifold. Use a deep 7/8" 12 point socket to twist it 90 degrees to the left to remove it and reverse this to put it in. Be sure to replace the PCV valve when replacing the spark plugs since all needs to have the intake manifold removed to get to them.
Normally located on top of the valve cover.

Ron told me I needed to buy Vacuum caps and also large use heater by pass caps. Will I need any special tools to cap off the PCV Valve and also I need instructions on how to do it.

The second thing is I need to "correct" the idle control valve. Not sure on how to do this and what tools I need.

I live in Utah by the way. So if anyone can help me out with this. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 31 Aug 2012 03:42 #2

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Just wanted to let everyone know something about the Mazda Tribute and most likely Ford Escape. The PCV Valve is located underneath the intake manifold. :angry:

I have called my local shops and they told it's 3 1/2 hours of labor just to access the PCV Valve. What a pain. If anyone else knows a quicker way to access the PCV Valve with my situation. Please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 31 Aug 2012 17:58 #3

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hia, you might be able to reach the tube somewhere on its way to the crank?
and cut the tube block one and rerute the otherone.
good luck

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 31 Aug 2012 19:36 #4

• TacomaKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Juan,

If you have a way of taking pictures of the area's involved we may be able to
determine a possible solution.

Saving them as a jpeg would be the most cooperative format for the forum.

Karl Fortner
Tacoma, Washington

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 01 Sep 2012 03:30 #5

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I hope the attached pictures help. I'm not the best at taking engine pictures. I do have a blown out picture of the intake manifold and also where the PCV Valve is located on my engine. I got it from the Mazda dealership. Ron told me I should do that. I don't have a scanner so I'm going to have to go to the library or my wife's grandparents home to scan it.

I took pictures of the engine at different angles. Thanks Karl for the idea.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 01 Sep 2012 07:08 #6

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We are still in Provo, amigo.

Why don't you come see me? Give me a call on my cell and we'll set up the time and I'll give you the address then...

Then we can get a better look at that PCV system!

Ron

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 03 Sep 2012 04:31 #7

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I met with Ron to take a better look at my PCV valve. I will cap the PCV Valve. It's just a matter of having enough money to do it. Ron told me to get the diagram of my 2008 Mazda Tribute 2.3 liter 4-cylinder intake manifold and the location of the PCV Valve from the Mazda Dealership. So here it is. I hope it helps out others. Please avoid Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape vehicles. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I just want to add. Ron is a great guy. Taking the time to look at my vehicle. Thanks Ron. I appreciate it.

This message has attachments files.

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 03 Sep 2012 18:42 #8

• mob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hia. id like to help, all you need is to target the tubes on the car and cut the tube so you can plug it on manifold, use flex tube to rerute the pcv to air box intake,,
have a think about it and see its not that expensive to buy about a pack of fags or so, or 2. some tubes with apropriate inner diameter. slip on harder platic pcv to prolong to air box side. the other soft one use some tube and bring it to air box aswell.
good luck dont give up!
cheery cheery, have any pictures of groove inside tb?
the groove must go on :) Why shuld we awoid these cars?
luego,

Last edit: by mob.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 04 Sep 2012 02:25 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi linuxguy. I've squinted all over your pics and the diagrams, trying to sort it out. Now that Ron has met w/you and all the other responses...I'll reduntantly add to the mix.

If PCV valve is mounted in intake manifold, obviously that's manifold vac. source. Did you and Ron find which hose/tube comes off the PCV valve? Thought I saw a short hose in the diagrams going from PCV Valve to a tube, going to??? Does it come up or out in the open somewhere, or is it buried down under intake runners like PCV itself? If its accessible it's likely easy to do. Just to either help or aggravate the situation, if PCV hose/tube is still unknown, find, bribe w/soda/beer/dounts/chips or ??? A Ford Dealer Tech and find out which darn black hose goes from crankcase to PCV.

If I am truly redundant here and you already have this info and its bad (manifoldectomy) then I will cheerfully beat my head at your feet 100 times:ohmy:

Hope this wasn't a waste of your time!!:blush:

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 08 Sep 2012 23:38 #10

• Juan Reyes
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I think I found some good news. In my earlier attached file Img034. I called up the parts department to find where the other end of the hose that comes off PCV valve connects to. The parts manager put me on hold and went to go ask a technician. He came back on the phone and told me the valve cover. Here is a better laid out diagram. I think judging from this picture. I don't need to take off the intake manifold after all. I'm hoping.

This message has an attachment image.

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 09 Sep 2012 03:19 #11

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi Linuxguy, this diagram clearly shows the Breather hose connects to valve cover right out in the open. Does'nt show anything about the PCV valve. I'd go back wherever you got this diagram and ask/look for the one showing the PCV. I'm guessing that Parts and Service Dept's have each their own diagrams of all this.

Those other 2 diagrams show the PCV valve w/a short hose coming off it. I'll bet that short hose may be only hose from PCV to intake manifold. Looks like PCV is mounted in a grommet, in an oil separator housing, mounted to the block. We need better diagrams to answer this riddle. I've found the Mitchell manuals in reference section at the library to have the most extensive info on most any car tech question.

Try asking a Ford guy again. It may indeed be that only way to access this beast is to pull the intake.

IAC valve looks to be on front of intake manifold right next to throttle body. Looks like same basic shape of every Ford IAC I've seen.

Maybe you have already tried looking w/ brightest damn flashlight you can find at area between intake and block, thats where our PCV valve freind lives. Maybe visible from underneath...but ya gotta wear orange socks, fast for 3 days, and get the Ford Blue Oval logo tatoo'ed on bottom of your left foot first:sick:

good hunting!

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Re: Need someone's help with my 2008 Mazda Tribute 09 Sep 2012 03:44 #12

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After looking at the engine and the diagrams from the dealer, I believe the PCV connection is indeed behind the intake manifold.

This last drawing, were it to match the actual engine (as I recall it) it would be WONDERFUL!!!

Of course, that is not the way I recall it. PLEASE tell me I am mistaken...

If you look under the hood and see that vac line as illustrated, then CAP THAT PUPPY! Otherwise, you are only polluting the issue by grasping for something other than The Truth.

Check this stuff out before you post.

Again, if I misremember, the GO FOR IT and LET US ALL KNOW!!!!