Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 11 Dec 2012 10:19 #13

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
pull the vac side of pcv cap port then slide it over and tee into the passive side in front of throttle body

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 13 Dec 2012 08:48 #14

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
Hi Rikard!
Thanks mucho for Plasma info! I'm needing more Soldering experience, haven't soldered Electronic component#1 yet. But I will when I get on that project...

The pliers...dont remember where I got 'em or their technical name, I just call 'em Pincher bug Pliers they look like an earwig's rear end, just look around for Plug Boot Pliers.

Good on the cooling issue. Eric the carguy's vid reminded me of the no-Spill funnel set, the yellow big one in the car's radiator, it allows coolant to expand up w/o overflow, has adaptors to fit many sizes of radiators. I forgot I have one, used it like he shows on a Maxima couple nights ago, got lots of air out of system this way works great!;)

Ok, PCV re-route: in case it still needs done. Dan and Karl got it right, I will explain further, try not to start a novel!

find PCV Valve. Most of time a hose goes from PCV to a hose nipple on intake manifold downstream of throttlebody. Disconnect this hose from intake man, cap off the nipple, leave other end hose on PCV valve. Now find/create a way to connect hose to air intake duct upstream from throttle blade. Often/usually another hose connects from air intake duct to valve cover or crankcase. Often it's convienient to just cut this other hose and insert a tee fitting appropriate size in this other hose, then connect PCV hose to tee. Some have made new hole in air intake duct and installed appropriate fitting to connect PCV hose.

Reason to do this: Groove enhances manifold vac during first part of intake stroke, this improves fuel vaporization w/ all attendant benefits. ANY vacuum leak in intake system downstream from throttle blade works directly to negate/reduce Groove Effect. From this perspective PCV is huge vacuum leak. But crankcase needs ventilated w/ vapors pulled into engine to be burned. Re-routing PCV hose as described solves issue.

Some including me have noticed oil vapor or residue being sucked thru re-routed PCV hose at new Tee connection. I'm still looking for a ready-made at-the-parts-store kinda oil vapor separator to attempt to stop this. Though if the weak pressure drop at the tee can pull oil residue from crankcase, think how much more a strong one at the original manifold PCV hose nipple could pull!

Anyhow Rikard hope my usual long blah blah is useful!!B)

TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: Spelinn

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 15 Dec 2012 17:51 #15

• Gadgetman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
There is a very simple add-on that is really cheap and effective.

The best thing I have seen it to tie both the breather hose and the PCV together. Then, add a hose that may be routed to a jar of BB's.

Order one jar of BB's and hook it up like this:

This will allow you to not only capture the oil and water vapors, but also to see when it is ready to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

Have FUN in Gadgetman Land!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by Gadgetman.

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 07 Jan 2013 07:30 #16

• energyrikard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

Happy 2013!!!

I broke my arm which has delayed everything. Spent the whole new year in the hospital... It hurts! But I'm feeling a bit better this week.

I have a question.. Can anyone here give advice on a tiny piece of circuit diagram? I don't know what is what of the four wires on the igniter. Can anyone let me know which ones are:

1. Trigger
2. 12V
3. Ground
4. Trigger feedback to ECU that spark took place.

For this diagram:
ignition diagram toyota land cruiser late 1fz-fe | Ignition … | Flickr

I hope to groove it soon!

PS. Ron, your images are not visible or are downloadable.

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 07 Jan 2013 07:51 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Rikard, I'm super tired now but i'll take a shot at this.

OK-BK-R is 12 V in from ignition switch
W-BK is ground
B R BK under "from engine ECT & ECU" are trigger inputs (see how they are separate wires)

BK-W are feedback to ECU to tell it that a coil has fired.

I will bet my first hour of sleep I'm right!:lol:

Sorry to hear about the arm, that SUCKS

Take care, TracyG Gadgetman Reno
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: energyrikard

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 03 Feb 2013 23:43 #18

• energyrikard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Tracy,

Thought that I should give you an update. Before I groove the car, I have to do the basics first which is to make sure it doesn't overheat. Also got some new power coils when I was fiddling around in the shed... :)

Once the engine starts with the dash in place, she's ready for sum groovin'! :D

This message has attachments images.

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 04 Feb 2013 20:40 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Holy Dash-ectomy, Rikard...! :blink:

Man thats Ambitious work you're doin' there, Mate! Seeing that interior firewall all exposed like that makes me kinda queasy... :sick:

But that's right it's Summer down under. I call tearing a car down that far putting it in Drydock.

Thanks for all the pics I missed 'em before somehow. I assume the arm is healing, or maybe you just had that thing torn that far apart before. But it makes sense to get the vehicle issues fixed first then Groove it. Hope you understood all posted before about PCV re-route, it's actually simple.

Those MSD coils look good complete w/ custom mounting. Hope my diagnosis re; that module helped/was right. Well git 'er outa Drydock and fit for sea, then Groove this beast. You're covering a lot of ground w/ this one!

If you notice any gunk in your intake manifold and TB you will have seen my solutions for controlling the Crud recently posted--Air Oil separator and Breather hose Bottle.

Good luck w/ everything Rikard keep us posted!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 07 Feb 2013 01:17 #20

• energyrikard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hiya all :)

My arm is definitely better... Thanks! I can soon work normally in the engine without having to plank...

Your circuit diagram reading seems right to me, I needed to double check with something before I start soldering.
yiha!

Here's a pic of the CDI (ignition box) wiring. 2 new grommets fitted in the firewall.

Tried to start the engine the other day after all the dashboard came back. No ignition, no power windows and no dashboard. Lights, fans and radio works however. Gonna check the fuses. If it's not the fuses, I think I have to tow it to Toyota. I read a bit in the complete circuit diagram but it's way too complex to start doing circuitry checks on for me. Probably some broken wires in the loom or a short circuit somewhere. Was still worth it :)

This message has an attachment image.

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 08 Feb 2013 05:55 #21

• energyrikard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hiya!!

A little update from the shed...
Waiting for the coolant and heater hoses to arrive so I can fit it and get the engine started. Meanwhile I wait, I soldered a string of diodes for the Plasma Jet Ignition. Can't do so much other things at this moment anyway but do some prep work to get that thing connected too.. :)

Here's a string of diodes with heat shrinked cable on the outside. I haven't soldered it to the ignition lead yet, it's only to show you how it will be soldered after the EMI shield is covering everything. Gonna take some vids with and without the string so we can see the effect it has...

This message has an attachment image.

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 08 Feb 2013 20:55 #22

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Rikard, glad you're doing better and that the project is well in hand.

With apologies to Ron and others on here, as this is off the Groove topic--though I feel it is very useful to those who want more from their gasoline...

Could you put up some how-to info specifically about how you "build" the special plug wires w/ the diode string, w/ some pics of ingredients and steps i.e.--the Recipie?

I have Aaron Murakami's info package about Plasma Ignition, but I'm not experienced in putting together electronic components, though I can follow instruction as well as any monkey.

If you put some visual/text specifics as to how you do it, I could compare your stuff w/ Aaron's info and likely have enough to finally do it.

I think Aaron Murakami's Plasma Ignition could work wonders combined w/ the famous Groove :woohoo:

And there may well be others here w/ Aaron's info like me who haven't done it yet. We arent revealing the whole of his secret, just building the plug wires, you need his info package for the whole Enchilada!

In any case, Thanks, Rikard!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 11 Feb 2013 22:15 #23

• energyrikard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hiya G-men and G-women!!

As I'm still waiting for the hoses to arrive, so old issues can be resolved, I tested the CDI box for spark. Oh it sparks all right!
Things used:
* MSD DIS-4 high output
* MSD cpc coils
* Accel 4038 leads (non resistor)
* Torque Master plugs (non resistor)

Last edit: by energyrikard.

Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ105R 1998 4.5l 6cyl 11 Feb 2013 22:21 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi again Rikard!

Thanks for the pic and descript. of your diode string, that helps. I've been looking around the net and re-reading Aaron Murikami's Plasma ignition info, getting a better idea of how to build it. I ordered an MSD 5520 from amazon last night, now I'm considering plug wires and spark plugs.

Many choices avail, still not sure...

Hope your wing is healed--thanks again, Mate! :cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV