Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 04 Dec 2013 22:17 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Very interesting thread going here Gerald.

I didnt know that about Vapor recovery gas pumps, kinda like the carbonation being extraced from soda pop...that's the kind of info I used to get from my freind back in the 90's.

I got looking at head gasket info and saw info re: Victor-Reinz head gaskets. Lesser known brand, usually only used by pro installers. Carquest and some independant NAPA stores may carry em. I've used Fel Pro gaskets for years, then discovered to stick to OEM gaskets for Asian import cars. What clues did ya see that the head gaskets were bad?

If radiator pulls vac. after cool-down I'd guess the system integrity is OK...but I too am here to learn. :) If there's no apparent coolant leaks could it just be purging air causing level to drop? How much is coolant level dropping?

Back to ignition: use best quality lowest resistance plug wires you can. Granetelli MPG+ are very best I've found, true ZERO ohms resistance, got mine from JC Whitney, Summit Racing carries some. As for parts store plug wires I've used many sets of Borg-warner Nascar Select brand ones. Pretty decent for the lower price.
coils: I've had a couple faulty ones new-in-box before. Sometimes they will misfire only when hot.
I use aftermarket hi-perf. ones on all 3 of my engines, Jacobs Chrome canister. But Jacobs is gone today. Plenty of others around, like MSD. Mods like side gapped plugs require top notch parts to support increased current loads. Heck that side gapping trick could be a way to test for weak parts in rest of ignition. I have Champion plugs in my '68 Dodge 383 3/4 ton truck (which smiled at the Smog Machine again today 19 yrs running yippee! :lol: ) but Mopar's are only thing I'll use em in.
Gasoline: an Enigma. Unless you know fuel chemistry/work in industry, how can you tell? Often comes down to trying different till ya find a flavor/brand/grade the engine likes! A wall of silence obscures this issue, poor consumer is left to his own devices it seems...

Thanks for the updates, Gerald!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 06 Jan 2014 18:28 #14

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
update B) B) B) 1-6-14 aspirin mpg
added 16 aspirin then filled 32 gallon tank .4 mpg gain going to Atlanta Ga filled up gain 3.0 mpg returning home all regular at Kroger
Truck running great still losing water
Not giving up maybe computer still learning, will add 16 aspirin on 4 th fill up, just giving computer time
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC.

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 07 Jan 2014 00:29 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yeah, Gerald, 3 to 4 MPG gain when it's in the teens is a healthy gain. Did ya mix aspirin w/ alcohol? I crushed my aspirin as fine as it would get, then added alcohol, it was a mix of fine particles in suspension, don't know if aspirin fully dissolves in gasoline. Spilled a bit on car body, it dried to a film of fine particles. Did you notice any change in how it runs w/ aspirin besides MPG?

The water loss is strange if no apparent visible signs...

Tracy g
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 07 Jan 2014 04:07 #16

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
yes TracyG crushed & dissolved in rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide (little bit) the gain going to Atlanta is 0.4 not 4.0 mpg (hard to see . )
3.0 gain on return trip is lower than the usual 3.7
Temp here was above 30 most of day now its 20*
geraldc

update 1-23-14 :) :) after 2nd fillup .38 mpg gain for local driving with aspirin.

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: added info

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 08 Jan 2014 01:07 #17

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Hi Gerald I first tried crushing 1 aspirin then putting it in some 91% rubbing alcohol from wallymart. It didnt seem to mix well at all. Switched to using the 1/2" drive socket extension as the smasher tool, and tried HEET yellow bottle gas line dryer. That combo mixed somewhat better. Then tried again with Everclear. None of the alcohols really seem to dissolve the aspirin I have that well, so when I made the first batch dose, I made sure to crush the 6 aspirin as finely as I could.

Some of it spilled on outer car body at gas station. Later when dry I could see the tiny aspirin particles on the paint. Only other thing I don't know is if aspirin is dissolved by gasoline. If it stays as particles you can guess what that will do in the fuel system. Patent said that a carrier fluid miscible in gasoline is used, alcohol mixes w/ gas OK I think as long as % or proof is high enough.

Weather here in Reno has been thankfully mild last week. I guess everyone else east of Rockies is in deep freeze, and low temps do hurt economy MPG. Water or snow on road, and obviously wind also hurt. There's more variables involved in fuel efficiency than most realize. My exp. is that as the MPG #'s climb up noticably above a baseline normal average, things get tweaky. Just how ya fill tank makes a diff. in calculations. Plus-you never take the same trip twice even on same route. Traffic cond. , weather, and other exterior variables work for or against you.

Well, we keep striving for the best...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 08 Jan 2014 08:00 #18

• dan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you are having trouble mixing tablets use liquid asprin I have made tons of this and used it for years the patent guy isnt using the hyd peroxide he didnt crack the total surface area as the bacteria will grow . Gasoline is kept cold and dark to help keep lets call it algie from growing to fast. Peroxide will eliminate the problem and the fuel will crack easier. I use more asprin to the gallon than he does,I have a lab in my house and have done many hrs of testing trial and error and this does work. I have rejuvinated gas as old as 10 plus years from old tractors and it ran and burnt clean so dont think you have to throw away last years fuel. Just recondition what you have always remember its the surface area and surface tension that really matters.

After you have reconditioned the fuel its ready to crack and make lighter fuel from the heavy fuel products by using pressure vacuum and heat. Think air conditioning!!!!
PS This truck should get around 24 mpg with my cold vapor system and the groove.

Happy grooving and cracking the fuel!!! Dan Merrick

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 08 Jan 2014 08:27 #19

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Dan, Here is a suggestion , if you cant find liquid aspirin, after you crush and mix the aspirin , run it thru a filter, thin cotton rag , coffe filter , old cotton t shirt. The aspirin tablets will have binders to hold the pill together and probably calcium stearate as a filler, that is probably what the small bits are we see on surfaces after it dries. And remember to use hydorgen peroxide as Dan suggested.......and keep CRACKING THAT SURFACE TENSION. (Thanks Dan you give us hope)
Do you sell your cold vapor system????? Do you have a web site??? Or company we can contact to get your system??

I did a web search and found Liquid Aspirin Concentrate it is 12% Acetylsalicylic Acid, and is used for vet. purposes for animals. In my area i would look in stores such as TSC tractor supply , they have some vet supplies or Southern States farm supply. You may find it in a drug store , but i feel it would be more expensive for human consumption...................Greg P

Last edit: by namtegdag Ky.. Reason: added more info

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 19 Jan 2014 20:55 #20

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
My aspirin have been in 3 oz alcohol and 1 oz HEET for 6 days now I think. Still have particles in both jars (8 whole- 8 crushed) so will use filler before pour in tank.

As for Liquid Aspirin Concentrate it is 12% Acetylsalicylic Acid, what is to other 88% of the product ?? :unsure: :unsure: I been doctoring horses cattle chickens and goats for long time, maybe was using this stuff and did not know it. ;) ;)

Dan can you tell a little more about using pressure vacuum and heat ???

:P :P "make lighter fuel from the heavy fuel products by using pressure vacuum and heat. Think air conditioning!!!!" :P :P

update B) B) ;) 2/2/14 3th tank (32 gal) on 16 aspirin yield - 1.1 mpg so aspirin has been used up.

Now just fillup again 30 gal applied 16 aspirins -- trying to find a happy place to add aspirin when fillup is only 15 to 20 gal, so trip to Atlanta will 16 aspirin will apply 8 on fillup to return home. Aspirin ( 8 whole 8 crushed )has been 12 days now still has particles so did use tea paper filler on it.
New double platinum plugs gapped to .074 still doing good job.

update 2-11-14 :P :P trip Savannah ga to Atlanta Ga 1.1 gain in mpg
fillup 29 gallons applied 16 aspirin returned home with 2.7 mpg gain.
still do not know what the difference is between gas here and Atlanta, but maybe something has been taken out of gas here instead of put in and vapor fuel nozzles are used in Atlanta.
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: added info

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 22 Jan 2014 09:53 #21

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello gerald about air condition, we want to use the part that changes liquid gas to
vapor gas Do a search (How does air condition work) there are several videos that explain it, I tried to copy one here but not able to do it.

I don,t know about the liquid aspirin , don,t have any yet, but if it is 12% and a concentrate the pills will be much less than 12 percent. ....... Greg P

Last edit: by namtegdag Ky.. Reason: add info

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 22 Jan 2014 15:05 #22

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
OK pressure, vacuum, heat.
W/ F.I., gasoline is under pressure at injector. Introduced into a low-press. environment, and warmer than outside environment temp.

So the Groove and PCV mod, etc. increase intensity of the vacuum, but I don't know a way of incresing pressure on the gas in the fuel system that's practical. And we can't practically increase engine temps, well maybe a little, run a higher temp thermostat, but that cant go very far. You can use a heat exchanger to warm gas on its way to the injectors, but again practical limits on that.

The Aspirin Remedy is cool since it's easy, readily available. If someone isn't willing to jump thru this dinky little hoop to get more mpg, well I have no pity for them. And Thanks Dan for any and all input you give us, I value your insight and experience! :cheer:

And Dan, anytime you are ready to even give a peek at yer cold vapor stuff, you know you have a hungry audience here!! :woohoo:

HMMM, air conditioning huh? guess I'll have to do some searching, see if I can divine the meaning of this...gotta be about the principles involved, can't be the equipment or parts, no way...

Thank you my fellow Groovy Brainiacs :lol: :side: :whistle: :pinch:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 22 Jan 2014 16:14 #23

• namtegdag Ky.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Tracy.....Go to Moreco Energy , they have a photo of Dan,s reformer and some info about how it works ........Click on New Tech at the top of the page. I saved a pic and will load it here.
To Dan if you don,t want this info posted here let me know and i will pull it down. If not it will be some product promotion for you. ..........Greg P

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1997 chev 1500 pickup 350 vortex 23 Jan 2014 00:30 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Thanks Greg, yeah Ive seen this pic before at Moreco, sure is mysterious and intimidating, looks like aerial view of one of the buildings at Hanford Washington, that you aren't allowed to go to.

PS I found the double Groove thread after rereading yours on your Vortec V6, Hard to remember everything here! :blush:

Thanks! Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV