Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 27 Nov 2016 18:29 #13

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
thanks, Ron! We would not be here if not for you, friend! :cheer:

with some diligence, study and effort, your Invention does indeed work. Period.

Ron, thank you, and may the Blessings Be!

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 28 Nov 2016 23:48 #14

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes Tracy Thankyou for all your info.

And by using the 1/4inch stainless tube did go up to 900/1000ish RMP's at startup for 2/3 seconds and slowly came down to normal idle. In the past I did try Ron's techniques that required to make a gasket out of aluminum sheet and drilling a 1/8 inch hole for the IAC air path. But was around low 500 RPM and by turning on the AC tend to shake trying to shut down. No falt code till a week later or so, don't remember the code but something indicating low voltage. So had drilled it a little wider to prevent that problems.

After a month I notice vacuum leak out of the throttle body kinda like whistle. I believe it was due to not having a gasket between the aluminum sheet and the TB. It did have the original rubber gasket that dugs into intake manifold. Maybe I did something rong! don't know but that's why removed it.

At first I thought to myself (should I use a drinking straw for the inlet IAC mod ?) Then it clicked, remembering I had some left over stainless steel tubing laying around. I had 1/8 inch that fits fine in the inlet duct but didn't wanted to have any issues. So went with the 1/4 inch tubing

As for the groove , well!.. great results by adding performance a lightweight feel and smooth ride...

Thankyou Ron for your dedication and effort making this posibble...

Jr

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by JR.

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 29 Nov 2016 00:12 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
thanks, Juan, you broke some new ground by using metal tubing in your IAC mod, I'll sure remember to think of using it!

So how did it go on the re-learn ride, have you noticed an increase in off idle power?

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 29 Nov 2016 09:46 #16

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Yeah, that's truly superb work and a fantastic new technique for IAC mods!

That's what I've found with my ride, post-groove as well, Juan: the "lightweight" and "smooth" aspects...I'd add "effortless" and "quiet" as other adjectives. It's truly wonderful to get into that Groovy Zone, isn't it?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 18 Dec 2016 20:30 #17

• Victor Merculief Jr
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Will have the van in the shop this Thursday, and told the mechanic to get in touch with Tracy G. should they have questions about the re-route. The paper instructions should be good enough.

Will post an update on how the re-learn ride goes this Thursday or Friday when the vehicle gets out of the shop.

Getting new new plugs and wires installed along with a tbi gasket.

Good to hear from you Ron! Thanks for sharing your technology and mods!

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 25 Dec 2016 22:59 #18

• Victor Merculief Jr
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hello, Just got the vehicle worked on two days ago.

They replaced the vehicle with new spark plugs and wires and the grooved TB.

I done the re-learn drive process and let the vehicle idle for about 20 mins and then tuned it off for about a minute and it came to idles nicely. Did that process about six times or so and increased the speed in drive from 10 mph to 65-70 and then 80. I stopped while making slow increments in my speeds and turning off the vehicle for about a minute each time.

The computer is still learning the speeds but the vehicle is a get up and GO!

When I got up to about 80 mph I noticed that I was only needing about 1/3 of the peddle or even 1/4 as I drove it. I am guessing that as I drive the typical speeds I normally do here in AK it will use less and less each drive I take it.

The most noticeable difference is quick response in power when using the pedal and less pedal pressure when driving. I did the exhaust smell test and it is like whiffing a blow dryer and only a very very faint smell of exhaust.

Not normal for emissions but I guess I am burning more efficiently. Great work by Tracy G and I am enjoying the new technology and will continue to keep you updated as the weeks pass on MPG.

Happy Holidays and a New Year from a new and happy gadgetman groove customer!

Victor

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 25 Dec 2016 23:59 #19

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Excellent Victor!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm very gratified to see this news. You read and followed my instructions, I'm glad you went this way. It's all based on experience! You even did the tailpipe smell test--good for you! :lol:

Keep us posted, Victor buddy. We are using Ron's gift here! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 26 Dec 2016 05:01 #20

• Victor Merculief Jr
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Whats even better news is that, I don't think the PCV re-route was needed for this mod and yet it still uses the groove.

The only thing they did was cleared/reset the ECU and the idle adjusted to it. It did bounce on the first few idle's for a second or two, but the computer adjusted itself to idle at normal.

Now it doesn't bounce on idle, it just idles on start.

The temps out here are or were at single digits (while testing) and I think your IAC mod with the two holes works out perfect for the cold weather! Great job again! :)

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 26 Dec 2016 11:59 #21

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
This is awesome news! A great Christmas present...
If I read this correctly, you've gained power without capping the PCV to preserve manifold vacuum. But it seems you might still have Unburned fuel in the exhaust from your sniff test. You should really reconsider performing this mod - it brings unburned fuel vapours into the intake airstream, and the computer will readjust fuel delivery to compensate. It Lso balances engine flows/pressures to further enhance efficiency. It's a very subtle thing, but it will help. And it doesn't require a relearn procedure.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 26 Dec 2016 15:43 #22

• Victor Merculief Jr
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I do need to get my power ports fixed in a month or two and will see if they can do the re-route then. If not then I have a relative that can give it a try. I will have them take a look at it.

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 26 Dec 2016 16:20 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Victor, this is one you can handle yourself in all likelihood. Everything you need is easily accessible on the top of the engine, and if you can post pics, we can guide you through the process of planning how/where. The trick will be to have an appropriate cap and T, and possibly some hose on hand for when you make the mod. You probably won't even get your hands dirty.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2004 Chevy Astro van 4.3L V6 TB Grooved by Mail 27 Dec 2016 00:04 #24

• JR
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
At first when applying the groove and did the shave mod to the throttle plate. Had similer process, by just putting into Drive it slightly speed up upto 10 MPR range. One's I hit the peddle, gave me a bouncy feel, but I notices the kick into the groove. Then went ahead and adjusted the torx screw as shown in the picture. It eliminated that problem.

Juan

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by JR.