Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 17 Oct 2019 12:46 #1

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
Hello all!!

Starting the process on my Z06, which I've had since early 2004 and is my second and only other car. She's stock with the exception of a K&N cold intake I put on years ago. It's been taking me forever to bolster my main project (see 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8 - Starting from scratch), yet been itchin' to get the ball rolling on the 'Vette, too. Since the Snake Oil has come out, I've been anxious to get that in the oil. It was due for an oil change, anyway. So, I ordered enough Snake Oil to do both cars.

I've historically averaged low 20's (23+) on the MPG's, but have noticed a drop to around 18-19 mpg, lately. I account this to a lot of idling. I've been very busy of late and haven't had much time to exercise her much. So, I'll fire her up and let run for a bit at least once a week and for short trips as a grocery hauler. lol!

Step one:

- I did the WD-40/Carb cleaner treatment in the oil and let it run for about an hour.
- Drained the oil and refilled with fresh and new filter.
- Applied Ron's amazing SO and took it around the block to test for leaks

When I got back from the test run, parked it, I noticed the engine was running smoother than it ever has!! There is something truly amazing going on here! The loudest part of the engine was the fan! I just ordered some SO treatment for the fuel and will report my progress. Also, applied Snake Oil Coolant treatment to the radiator....

I don't like taking the Batmobile (as I call her) to the airport when I leave for my trips. I'll be in and out for the rest of the week and not gone for over night. It will be my daily driver for the next few days. She needs to get out and run, anyway. This should put about 40 per day, for the next few days, at least. Looking forward to positive results.

Next up:
PCV delete
SO in transmission and diff.
Bifilar coils
...and of course...the Groove!

Upgraded coils, wires and plugs via the Greg method and Granatelli, but that will have to wait, since I'm tapped out on the funds.

Closely following Gene B. and his '88 Vette. Good to see a fellow Vette owner!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Gene T Bradley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 17 Oct 2019 17:18 #2

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Andrew, brother you got really good taste in cars. I am very eager once you get the groove on the vette that you will might need new tires soon. I cant wait to see your results and hope you do a video on both your rides. Keep on bro !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 18 Oct 2019 11:41 #3

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652

Andrew Leyva wrote:
Upgraded coils, wires and plugs via the Greg method and Granatelli, but that will have to wait, since I'm tapped out on the funds.

Actually, TracyG got me thinking about ignition improvements - if anyone deserves the credit, it's him! he turned me on to Torquemaster and Granatelli, and since they worked/improved things as advertised, I've been spreading the good word.
And that's what anyone following along should take away - I "shill" for stuff that I've seen/used/I know works - not because I get any personal benefit from things, because you will/do, and we all will as well with cleaner air/water, more $$ in our pockets, more time to spend with friends and loved ones because of less time working/paying at the pumps...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, Andrew Leyva, Paul Viacrucis

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 18 Oct 2019 16:14 #4

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
:-) Thanks, Claudio!

Looking forward to see what results from all these mechanisms.

Roger that, Greg! That's why I've taken so much of your advice and guidance. Never thought you had any ulterior motives. We're all on a mission. Let's git 'er dun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK, Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 20 Oct 2019 07:42 #5

• Gene T Bradley
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 15
Good to see you here also. The ZO6 is an awesome machine, Congratulations! I have my SO diff. oil now and I am going to change the diff. oil (to Synthetic), positrac add. and SO this week, hopefully. Regards,

Last edit: by Gene T Bradley.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 29 Apr 2020 18:55 #6

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Andrew! Tell us how the truck, the Z06 are doing. I hope all is well!

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 30 May 2020 16:20 #7

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey Claudio! Thanks for asking!

Yep! I've been working on both cars. Here's the latest on the Batmobile.

As noted in the first post, I did the oil change and Snake Oil. That was back in Oct. 2019. I was super busy late last year and early this. So, I didn't put too many miles on her and drove it mostly on weekends as a grocery getter. Since the Rona fiasco resulting in lots of time off, I've been able to travel back and forth to Phoenix a few time and used it as gauge to see what's up. You'll notice the short trips over the weekends had dismal mpg's (apparently, I like to put my foot to it!!). The highest I've ever gotten was 24.8 mpg - and that was back in the day when I first got it. So, looks like the SO brought it back to at least new car mpg levels. I'll take it!

Brief synopsis:

Historically, I'd get about 17/24 mpg city/hwy - 21 mpg combined.
Recently, 13/18 mpg city/hwy and hovering around 17-18 combined.
Over the last two months with oil change/SO treatment (10/2019), highway mpg is back to EPA estimated 25 mpg.

The last entry of 23.9 mpg, includes some conditioning of the ECU right after I grooved it. Yep! She's grooved! I finally got it done on Wednesday of this week, also JB kwik the PCV. Boy! She screams now! I'll be making another trip up to Phoenix tomorrow and will report on any highway gains mpg wise.

I'm still astounded at how much power the groove adds. Thanks Ron!!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee, CLAUDIO CORDOVA

Last edit: by Andrew Leyva. Reason: add screenshots

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 31 May 2020 12:20 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
This is as expected. What about the truck?
(isn't it nice to have something fun to do when not much else is going on?)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 08 Jun 2020 01:51 #9

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Nice Drew! I hope your enjoying the power bro. Be safe and try not to saw off the tires! Hopefully your truck is just as much fun. Keep us updated please.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 10 Jun 2020 15:42 #10

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks, Dio! :-D

i haven't been driving much due to the Rona plandemic! I did go to Phoenix the weekend after the groove install - a 240 mile round trip and got 24.9 mpg, which equals the max i've ever gotten. But, I have yet to properly condition the ECU. I have to go to the frontage road by the I-10 to do it. Otherwise, the noise and screeching tires attracts too much attention from those driving cars with red and blue lights. Regardless, the extra power makes it even more exciting to play with the already quick ride!

Unbelievable what happened to Ron!! God bless his speedy recovery. I've been trying spreading the word to help with donations. Hopefully, more will chip in to help with his medical bills on GoFundme.

Have a great day!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 03 Oct 2020 00:51 #11

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Hey bro, I haven't heard any progress lately and it's good to hear from your cool toys. Let me know! I could say honestly that that my 03 Denali is embarrassing some of the new Camaro's zl1 in "mexico" that I run light to light. The srt8 are getting some wow looks too. Hope your doing well and if your having some fun with some fuel positive mpgs let us know.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 28 Oct 2020 18:27 #12

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hey! Thanks for asking! I have been a bit remiss in reporting.... Everything is so up side down with the Rona and all.

Still looking for the gains in MPG’s, however the ponies are sure liking it! I’ve had the Batmobile since 2004 and I scared myself with the extra power, recently. This is the most dramatic gain in power I’ve felt in 3 applications of the Groove. It seriously feels like a good 50+ HP. I’m still amazed whenever I drive it.

I did a Phoenix round trip from Tucson and the mileage was back to what it was when I originally got the car, around 25 mpg. It had been slowly deteriorating over the years down to about 20 mpg average. I’m sure the Snake Oil and Groove were responsible to getting it back to factory specs. So, no complaints.

I’m excited to test some of the other mods (plugs, wires, etc.) to see if I can’t scare myself some more!! Stay tuned....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, CLAUDIO CORDOVA