Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: 2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 29 Oct 2020 11:38 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I forget if you upgraded the ignition on this as you did on the truck, but you'll have similarly good results if you do.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 30 Oct 2020 14:02 #14

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
The only mods thus far are the Snake Oil and Groove. Otherwise stock except for the K&N Cold air intake. The ignition items are on the list....
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 31 Oct 2020 12:18 #15

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
you know where to go for coils/wires
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 01 Nov 2020 00:39 #16

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
  • Personal License Holder
  • Thank you received: 127
Ganelli right?

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 01 Nov 2020 01:22 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Granatelli. I’m pretty sure they have a range of coils from mild to wild for that model year/engine. Once that’s decided on, it’s just a matter of getting that energy as efficiently as possible to the plugs, and plugs that will stand up to that energy discharge over time. I would even consider resistorless plugs because it would mean less expensive coils with their wires (I seem to recall this engine is coil near plug and not waste spark ignition). One thing you could also research is different stock GM coils- I seem to recall the ones they put in trucks were higher secondary voltage than on cars with big engines, and were direct replacement of what’s already there- and that might save money over the tuner option I mentioned above to put towards wires and a plug upgrade...

UPDATE- I looked this up on rockauto and I'm mistaken. Then I went to Granetelli and looked for their ignition upgrade...it's spendy, but most rockets are ;) call em direct if you're going to go that route - they gave me a deal on my wires when I did them, so maybe you'll get as lucky as I did...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLAUDIO CORDOVA, Andrew Leyva

Last edit: by GregK.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 01 Nov 2020 01:29 #18

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Thanks Greg! I want to soon try Ron's resistorless spark plugs on my vehicles too. I hope everyone is safe and well. Keep on grooving boys!

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 01 Nov 2020 05:08 #19

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490
It's going to be a while until I can start delivering these, Claudio. Best if you make them yourself!

But I tried a few other plugs to adapt to zero ohm, and they were made differently and I couldn't successfully modify them. Stick with the cheapy Champions.

R.
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 01 Nov 2020 06:32 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The Torquemasters are $11 each, and they’re made in your state as I recall. You might even be able to pick them up in person. While I do enjoy modifying things myself, in this case I’d prefer to let the pros handle it. Same with Granatelli.
Even in this day and age, if I had the luxury of going to a specialty goods business in person rather than ordering from them online, I would 100% go and try to make new friends. That you’re buying their product is appreciated; that you go in person to do so is noted.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 16 Dec 2020 01:36 #21

• CLAUDIO CORDOVA
Hey brother just checking to see how your rides are responding to the groove. I hope all is well and happy holidays!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Leyva

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 24 Jan 2021 14:13 #22

• Andrew Leyva
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 104
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - belated. What crazy times, huh??

Life has been topsy-turvy lately. Good news is I’ve been working a lot. The bad news is I have bad news about the Batmobile.

The Batmobile was running great! It was running smooth (thanks Snake Oil!) and I was astonished at the added power (thanks groovy!). It was all I could do to keep my foot out of it. I cant stress enough that it was a significant increase in power. The mileage went back to about the original 25mpg I was getting back in 2004. I think I could have gotten much better.

The plan was to do the plugs/plug wires and coil packs. This was a bit of a spendy endeavor, so I waited for Black Friday specials. There were none to be had. Then I simply dragged my feet at spending the money.

I took a quick trip to Phoenix and got into an accident on the I-10. The RR tire blew out and I spun into the concrete median. My 17 year ownership ended on Dec 8. Insurance deemed it a total loss. It was fortunate I procrastinated on upgrades. I would have wasted $1000.

Thanks be to God I walked away from it all! Torn ligaments in my left hand and cracked/bruised ribs was the worst of it. It could have been MUCH worse!

So, farewell to the Batmobile! It served me well!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 24 Jan 2021 16:47 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
The Best news is that you're still in one piece, albeit scuffed up and bent a little. Busted ribs suck, and torn ligaments aren't much fun either.
Sorry about the Batmobile. May she rest in peace.

It's too bad you didn't grab the TB off of her before the insurance vultures made their decision...
I wonder if she'll get sold to salvage...in which case, somebody's gonna get a surprise when they take her for a drive
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

2003 Corvette Z06 LS6 5.7L V8 Starting from scratch 24 Jan 2021 18:13 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Andrew, very sorry to hear of your accident! That right rear tire---oh man! could that have been tire pressure related? I've never seen a tire failure like that.
Yes it could have been MUCH worse...in any case this sucks!

My small attempt at cheering ya up will be to compare the Batmobile's death to the testing of the V2 rockets in Germany during the War...There were crashes/failures during it's development. But Werner Von Braun and his team learned from failures, then ultimately helped make the Apollo Program a success.a bit later on...

And you, Andrew, also learned from the Batmobile. You know secrets and techniques that can apply to any gas engine/car. This is Priceless!

Speedy recovery, Andrew. We all look forward to more from you!!:cheer:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV