Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Discuss the Personal License Program and talk about your experiences and questions.

TOPIC: ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available!

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 08 Feb 2017 20:36 #13

• Todd Gilbertson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Joshua
Welcome!! I received my kit on Monday and like you amreading what I can. I also need to get the flex shaft. Additionally, I am going to get a throttle body to practice on.
Take Care
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 08 Feb 2017 21:05 #14

• Todd Gilbertson
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Tracy
I received my kit on Monday. Thank you for that. I need to get a flex shaft and a TB to practice on. I've been reading the info and would like to do the PCV mod. Is there any pics?

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 08 Feb 2017 22:16 #15

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well Gilb62, you can look thru the Index first. I don't have any certain one to recommend, but we've been talking and doing that mod for years.

The direct way, is: find the PCV valve on your engine, the the crankcase breather hose. Trace the PCV hose from the PCV valve to the man. vacuum source. It's about finding, ID'ing and understanding the function of all parts. This is the key to this mod, being able to look at an engine,identifying the parts, then understand the function of everything.

PCV systems work the same, but there are SO many different engines and configurations. And- most will have the PCV valve mounted to the crankcase, and hose-connected to the manifold vacuum source. A few, will instead have the PCV valve mounted direct to the man. vacuum source, and a hose going to the crankcase outlet hose nipple. (Like my Subie does.)

The key for me is, first find the PCV valve itself. Then I determine the crankcase Breather hose configuration. I then check the hose I.D. sizes to see if they match. Then I can figure out hose routing, hose length and size, and tee and hose size adapters if needed.

So- Locate and ID the components. Verify the function of each. Determine needed parts. Execute.

BTW, today parts stores are usually well-stocked with fuel and heater hoses, hose adapters, tee's,vinyl caps, clamps, etc. etc.

IF you get stuck at any point, take pics, then post here and ask questions.

But pick an appropriate posting Category, and start a new message thread. Like, Ford for Ford's, Foreign Manufactured for Honda, OR one of the Tech type ones for a tech issue, etc. ;)

thanks, Todd! :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Hatton

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 01 Jul 2019 15:57 #16

• Steve
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Tracy, are you still selling bits?

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 01 Jul 2019 19:49 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Steve - you stumbled upon a blast from the past, when Ron was off the grid and Tracy stepped in to keep the groove happening in garages around the world.
Now that Ron’s back, he’s who you contact to get a set of bits for yourself. I believe there’s a link on the homepage that will take you where you need to go. I’m sure he’ll take as good care of you as he does his wife’s kale.
Hopefully I’m not premature in welcoming you to the family.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 01 Jul 2019 20:59 #18

• Steve
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks for the info, I killed the smallest bit while grooven a tiny carburetor.

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 01 Jul 2019 22:33 #19

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yikes! That sucks. I’m sure Ron will work something out for you
How did the groove work on that engine? What machine was it on?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 02 Jul 2019 12:41 #20

• Ron Hatton
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 490

Steve wrote: Thanks for the info, I killed the smallest bit while grooven a tiny carburetor.

Steve, you have my number, don't you?

As El Hefe, I kinda hold all the keys...

So long as you have been participating in the forums, and following the recommendations, I'll take care of you.

But your first post here was asking about another bit, so it seems as if you just got here. So, you haven't been acting like a member of the Family of Gadgetmen as well as you should.

Think about it. If you want to FLY alone, then there's no one that is around to help you when you need it. You are also denying others of your supreme intellect!

Join the family, or you will get absolutely no support from me.

Sorry to be harsh, but I have to draw the line. Check the number of people visiting the forums. If you're not adding to the value here, then you're only taking.

Like them...

Ron
Ron Hatton
Developer of The Gadgetman Groove
and Snake Oil-https://SnakeOil.wtf/?wpam_id=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnathan, Michael Lee, Preston, Jette

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 02 Jul 2019 15:03 #21

• Steve
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Greg- I grooved a 700 watt 63cc 2 cycle predator generator with a medium size bit, seemed like overkill for that carb.
Results- increase in power (maintained rpm under max load) and cleaner exhaust fumes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, GregK, Johnathan, Preston

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 02 Jul 2019 15:35 #22

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
what about a longer run time? or was it able to provide max electrical output at lower than max rpm?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 03 Jul 2019 17:44 #23

• Steve
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Not using generator yet to test run time. Under max load it used to drop rpm and die. After the groove gen just keeps on going at max load.

ANNOUNCEMENT: PL Kits (Bits & Training) now available! 08 Jan 2020 06:57 #24

• Jette
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for bringing the PL kits back. I know it's now 2020, but I think reading as many of the posts as possible will save us all some of the head and heartache you groovy forgers have already experienced, if the rest of us take time to read your posts.

That being said, it is my belief that if I do not share what I possess, I will be robbing all of you of valuable information as well.
Since, in a past career, I was a tooling engineer, and mfg. engineer, I wanted to share that some of the best, nicest smelling cutting fluid I have used is tap magic, especially for aluminum. It has a cinnamon type smell, in my opinion, and not harmful that I am aware.
Here is a link to tap magic on amazon:
It is also important to realize that ANYTHING is better than NOTHING. On our lathes, we used to keep a bottle of water and pink dish soap in a little squirt bottle to keep from wearing out our cutting tools. These are no different, and yes, regular diluted with water dish soap is a very effective, environmentally friendly [especially for home use with little or no PROPER CHEMICAL WASTE DISPOSAL site [and NO YOUR SINK, TOILET, AND BACK YARD ARE NOT], and will let you complete your tasks without having to worry if you are exposing you or your family to the risks of hazardous materials.
That being said, I will look around also for a safety discussion, if there is not one, I will start one. PPE should always be worn, especially when working with automotive fluids, which are known carcinogens.
I am a newbie, but am here for life - with a purpose and drive - for all of you. I look forward to learning from all of you as well as being able to offer something of value back to you all as well.

Jette
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, GregK

Last edit: by Jette. Reason: added link for an easier search for brothers and sisters to find