Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

TOPIC: New to the Gadgetman groove

New to the Gadgetman groove 21 Jan 2015 14:27 #1

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone. I've seen the groove on YouTube and want to know more about it but I can't seem to be able to connect anyone
Any help would be great

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New to the Gadgetman groove 21 Jan 2015 22:40 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Hey Kev007 - I've been here for a few months now and have learned a TON.

Whether you're looking to have your ride(s) grooved or to learn how to DIY, poke around here on this website/forum and ask questions. Part of the philosophy here is to constantly learn, and to teach what you know. The YouTube videos are a good place to go if you're not a reader.

Good luck and have fun!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 23 Jan 2015 16:24 #3

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I'm looking to do both really
I want to try this on my Honda first then my f150

New to the Gadgetman groove 24 Jan 2015 14:34 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
well, the first suggestions I can make in your quest are
1 - start benchmarking data on your 2 vehicles in question. I use apps on my smartphone for this. One is an OBD-II monitoring app called EngineLink, that gives me "real-time" feedback from the car's computer among other things; I use this to give me an idea as to how efficiently I'm driving based on instantaneous and average MPG, calculated from data the ECU sees. The other, Gas Manager, is a "check and balance" against the first as far as MPG; this one gives Long term as well as "by trip" or "fill" mileage. In my case, I started with EngineLink, and then stumbled onto Gas Manager. The numbers are in agreement with each other, or close enough. This gives me an idea as to how each mod/change affects (or doesn't) my Fuel economy, and thus my engine's efficiency.
2 - scroll down to the bottom of this page, and click on the link in the Gadgetmanland column "Was it successfully grooved?" list. It gives makes, models, years of grooved vehicles with their gains, or if there were any. keep in mind that just because your vehicles don't appear or see gains doesn't mean that they won't. you have to do some homework on your vehicles to see if they are similar enough to the ones on the list who have realized gains to give you an extra measure of confidence in applying the suggested modifications.
3 - try some things to see if you notice a difference, like the MPG Remedy, re-gapping your spark plugs, doing the PCV re-route and vacuum cap, applying RVS to your powertrain. That should give you some perspective and experience under your hood.
4 - Now is the time to do that tune up, fix those little issues that have been around for a while that you've just never gotten to.

I hope this doesn't discourage you. One thing that is clear is that this is a process, and you have to be prepared to undertake it to achieve nirvana.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin

New to the Gadgetman groove 25 Jan 2015 16:37 #5

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks for the tips.
My f150 is what I really am looking to get the groove done on. My accord is burning oil and know it's not really a good candidate for the groove but it still runs and I drive its my daily driver

New to the Gadgetman groove 25 Jan 2015 20:59 #6

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I've found and shared a bunch of Ford-specific documentation, because I drive one too.
Search by my handle for the threads...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 15:21 #7

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Quick question, I've read on the forum that I can re-route the pcv on my 02 f150. What will that do for my truck with out having the groove done my the Throttlebody and with it Harm my truck in anyway?

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 15:54 #8

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Short answer, no harm to the engine and you may see a slight increase in power and efficiency/mileage.
Keep looking. You may wish to add an air/oil separator aka catch can
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 16:01 #9

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I've read something about that. Now I also read something about going back to using the stock air intake. Right now I'm using the K&N cold air intake with a Throttlebody spacer. I've notices a slight fuel increase and a better throttle response. Should I go back to stock?

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 16:08 #10

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Increase in economy or consumption? I'm unclear...

I'm also not about to tell you what to do other than to keep reading, learning and thinking.

Have you increased the gap of your spark plugs yet? You might want to try adjusting that first, along with PCV mod.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 16:19 #11

• Kevin
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I've increased fuel economy by 50-75km a tank but with the cold weather that's all gone out the window. I find no matter what in the cold weather cars seem to get really crapy fuel economy

New to the Gadgetman groove 26 Jan 2015 16:23 #12

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Increases are good...what %age is that?

Km, eh? Where in Canada might you be??
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile