Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy- New thread

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Mar 2015 13:48 #1

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I thought it might be good to begin a new thread on the MPG remedy topic. The other thread is great but has become incredibly long. I'd like to propose keeping this one on topic. Again, the original idea, first shared by Dan Merrick, is about the homemade formula of aspirin, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. We have tried many variants of this idea, and many have found success w/ it.

My latest version was about 1/4 teaspoon of Anaprin pure aspirin powder, added to 1/2 Oz of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide and 2 1/2 Oz of Everclear. The hydrogen peroxide and Everclear are kept in the fridge to retard evaporation. When first added together, nothing happened, poor mixing and no evident reactions. Makes sense, cold retards most reactions, heat speeds them in general. I use a short Mason jar to mix it. I screwed the lid on, set the jar in a saucepan, and put hot tap water in the pan. I left the jar in the hot water maybe half an hour, then checked it. I held the jar up and swirled it around, the looked closely. The crystals of aspirin had dissolved, w/ only a tiny bit still visible. The liquid now had a light violet color. I left the still closed jar on the counter a few hours, and re-checked. It looked the same, light violet liquid, and a few tiny barely visible bits of material. I'd say the aspirin crystals basically fully dissolved, and there was some type reaction that gave the pretty violet color.

I put this MPG Remedy mix in my Subie's tank, with no filtering, added 3 Oz of Lucas gas treatment, then filled w/ 12 gallons of gas. I've noticed better low-end power, a bit smoother idle, and seemingly better overall driveability w/ this tank.

there ya go, folks!

Let's keep this thread just on topic, I'm guilty of wandering off too much! :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: spelinn

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Mar 2015 14:26 #2

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Can you be a bit more specific about the gasoline? are we talking non-oxygenated (ethanol free) premium 91+ octane, or regular 87 octane E10+ stuff Tracy?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Mar 2015 15:11 #3

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
It was no-brand Mid grade 89 Octane, probably E10 ethanol content. They aren't always so good on labelling pumps here re: ethanol content. I just assume the gas here is always e10. Usually here, gas grades are: regular 87 Octane, mid grade 89, premium 91 Octane. I found years ago when driving to Las Vegas from Reno (approx. 425 miles) to avoid buying gas in Tonapah. Tonapah is about midway, and is higher altitude, over 6000 ft. I think. Due to altitude, all Octane levels are 2 points lower there, so reg is 85, mid is 87 premium is 89. And it's pricey there too, Tonapah is a long ways from nowhere...

Anyhow, this MPG R mix I just did is about as good quality of ingredients as I can get. Only flaw in it is the Everclear is lower Proof, 150 I think (the original bottle is gone, bought it last year). Weird, in Nevada, home of legal gambling, prostitution, and above-ground atomic bomb tests in the 50's and early 60's, and even hiway speed limits posted as "Resonable and Proper" until the first "Arab Oil Embargo" back in '73...the Legislature mandated that Everclear had to be lower Proof, 150, where most everywhere else it's 190....?? :huh: That's another story, but not important here...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Mar 2015 15:34 #4

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
What would be wonderful is if we could compile a list of who pumps what. It's easier here in Canada, provinces being much larger in most cases than your states...that is, if it's not federally mandated across the board in both countries as part of some free trade agreement or clean air pact. I digress...

I know from my own queries of customer service dep'ts of the stations/chains I frequent that 87 octane regular has 10% ethanol, 89 octane midgrade has 5% ethanol and premium is 91+ octane that has no ethanol. I've even asked at the indie station that sells mid-grade for the price of regular whose gas they pump, and it fits the parameters, as the manager surprisedly confirmed.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miles

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Mar 2015 17:21 #5

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
different countries, and states, etc. but I agree if we want to post more info about gas makeup. In US, it's confusing as there are different reg's re: emissions laws in different regions. I've heard info before re: what refineries service which regions. The gas market is not as unrestricted as one might suppose, i.e. they can't sell gas from Utah refineries in Calif. cause of emissions regs, etc. We can buy from different stations/brands, but they sell what they sell.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 19 Mar 2015 16:52 #6

• Ken Bittle
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 61
Hmm.. pure aspirin powder. This sounds interesting, and a purple color on top of that.

I've been sticking to the calculations in the old thread and haven't tried the 35% food grade peroxide yet, its taking forever to ship here. Though my vehicles love this stuff with premium 91 octane gas. I have seen 10% in my truck in town and up to 15% on the hwy and city driving for the civic. I only use a few drops of hydroxide in my mix, but that's only because I keep re-visiting Dan's posts on what he's been using since the 1970's.

I have farm vehicles and trucks using their first tanks of the formula this week, I will post up some numbers when I hear back from them.

Ken

MPG Remedy- New thread 19 Mar 2015 17:37 #7

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I got the veterinary animal aspirin powder/crystals on Amazon, a big jar for about 13 bucks. The food grade H2O2 35% I found in a vitamin shop, they had it in a refrigerator, I keep it there too.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 20 Mar 2015 03:49 #8

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
This "food grade H2O2 35% " does not mean safe to drink, it means best to clean anything in contact with food __ whole kitchen __ many other things are in H2O2 not just another O. Just a small amount is needed prolly 1/2 oz or less, just to kill algae growth in gas tank.
When I got my aspirin they were coated and purple color did show up in EverClear 190 proof and H2O2
When back to store got uncoated aspirin purple went away
-- It is hard to know exactly what is in our gas any grade at any time because off different state regs, time of year and what type of pumps are being used, vapor or not.
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: correction

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Mar 2015 20:26 #9

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Basically I think that most everything is in a state of change all the time. The gas changes from tank to tank. Driving conditions, weather conditions, how you are driving that day, on it goes. I swear my Subie has multiple personalities, if I were the type to name my cars, then the subie would be Sybil! :P

But I will say that the Subie does like this tank w/ the purple MPG Remedy in it, it is peppier, and has more power per amount of throttle opening. So on this unscientific basis I will keep on mixing it in the way I described above.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 08 Apr 2015 19:08 #10

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I just made up another batch of MPG R for my tank today. Again it turned out a violet-purple color. 2.5 Oz everclear measured w/ the stainless cup, then 3/4 teaspoon Aniprin animal aspirin, then 3/4 teaspoon 35% food-grade H2O2. All into my small mason jar, lid on and set into a hot water bath for about an hour. It was cooled off when I took the pics, the color deepens as it cools. The Aniprin aspirin crystal powder dissolved fully and the liquid turned this violet color. Using the hot water bath is much faster than grinding tablets and letting sit for days. Am going to fill the Subie's tank this evening no mpg#'s on the current one, but odo is at 331 miles about 1/8 tank showing on the gauge. Not really impressive MPG's, but improved from all winter long, this tank gave better driveability as well.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

MPG Remedy- New thread 08 Apr 2015 19:37 #11

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Hello TracyG ,, color has got to be coming from animal aspirin or "food grade" H2O2 ( for cleaning kitchens, floors and dining rooms ) it got more stuff in it. For animal aspirin to be in crystal form something has been added so that could be color also. See if aspirin will dissolve in H2O2 1/2 oz (my 8 aspirin dissolves in H2O2 1/2 oz. very fast,then I add 3 oz 190 proof EverClear mix and filter). Just trying to find that color thing.
-- Last tank with 6 aspirin ( looking for happy spot for my truck) 1/2 H2O2 and 3 oz EverClear 190 proof got 13.7 mpg, so back to 8 aspirin.
geraldc

MPG Remedy- New thread 08 Apr 2015 20:10 #12

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
hi Gerald, I'm not sure of the exact nature of reaction that gives the violet color. But I came up w/ this method last time I made MPGR w/ these ingredients. I keep the 35% H2O2 and the Everclear in the refrigerator, that's where the health food store had the H2O2, and I figure the Everclear won't evaporate from the plastic bottle it's in ( I split a 1 liter bottle of it w/ a friend last year) as fast if it's cold. Only difference from other experimenters is- in Nevada it's 150 proof Everclear I think, not the 190 proof as elsewhere. So others may do better due to that.

So when I put it together last time, the aspirin crystal powder just stayed in suspension or sat at bottom of jar, didn't want to dissolve. I thought it's 'cause of the cold liquids so I put it in the hot water bath. The hot water bath did the trick then and now. It was dissolved within minutes, I came back 2 hours later it had cooled and had the color you see. And the Subie seemed to like the last batch better than previous tanks too... :)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV