Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy- New thread

MPG Remedy- New thread 21 Jun 2016 20:23 #49

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Brylcreem - a little dab'll do ya?

Yeah, chemically the "alcohol carrier" of the aspirin/peroxide combo is an acid...I believe Dan in the original thread said something to the effect of 4x325mg aspirins to 20 gallons...1.3 grams in 120 lbs/55kg of fuel (gasoline is about 6 lbs to the gallon) is a ratio of about 1:70000 weight to weight.

More is not always better...man, it sucks you had to do all that work!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG Remedy- New thread 21 Jun 2016 22:44 #50

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Well it's OK, I learned in the process. First, by your above calculations, I had to have been WAYY overdoing it w/ the aspirin powder. Then with the parts in hand, I learned the correct way to set float height in my Weber. Got it wrong first time, had a lean condition. Second time was the charm, now this carb is more tuneable and responds to adjustments correctly as per all the Weber info. Easier starts hot or cold, no more left turn stalls, exhaust is far cleaner, no smoke, etc. etc. Just a much happier engine, good throttle response, and respectable freeway acceleration too. About a thousand miles away from the car I bought in 2004! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 05:29 #51

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
My 1997 chev truck 350 vortec was using 8 aspirin in 3 oz EverClear 190 proof 1/2 oz H2O2. MPG when from 12 to 16 then want vary from 16 down to 13 back to 16 allot. But its gone now so will be studing my 2015 GMC v8 truck to see how many aspirin it will like.

update Let me rephrase this yes I did dissolve uncoated aspirin in 1/2 oz H2O2 first ( takes about 5 sec. ) then added 3 oz 190 proof EverClear alcohol. Then filtered it thro 4 layers white kitchen paper towels. Then went for fillup usually about 28 gallons in 30 gallon tank.
This truck has major electrical problems from day one. But it runs great plugs gaped to .074 PCV rerouted to inbound air.

---- If anyone has groove a 2015 GMC V8 Please point me to any write-ups on it Thank You
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: more info

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 07:44 #52

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Nice to have you back with us gerald!

I have my suspicions why you got varying results: the original recipe is to dissolve the aspirin with peroxide, and THEN to add alcohol.

The active ingredient in aspirin combines with peroxide to make a chemically pure water, which is absorbed by the alcohol carrier. That alcohol carrier mixes with ethanol in gasoline to mix/integrate the water molecules evenly with the hydrocarbons and it all burns quite nicely in the combustion chambers of our engines, especially when they're grooved.

Doing it your way, dissolving the aspirin in alcohol and then adding peroxide would likely result in varying amounts of water being created and being absorbed for integration with gasoline. All you are doing is messing with alcohol content doing it your way. Gas and water don't generally mix. You need to do it on the molecular level, which Dan alluded to when he gave us the formula.

Try it. I'll bet it gets much more consistent results for you, and you'll be able to use less of the ingredients...we're all about efficiency around here, right?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Gallaway, Brennen Lankhorst

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 12:57 #53

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I'm sure glad you guys are around here. Dr Dude just pointed out something I had missed re: preparing the MPGR, adding H2O2 to the asp. first, then adding the alcohol after the asp. dissolves. I had been doing it the other way 'round. Then I tried putting the mix in a heated water bath, which really aided the dissolving of the asp. Plus it usually resulted in the suspension/solution turning purple.

The MPG Remedy definitely works to help MPG results--just that, in my case I was sloppy in my "lab work" with it. It's "acid effect" in my Weber carb's case was too strong for the internal soft parts. I ASSUME it had to be the MPG R causing this deterioration of plastics and flexible membranes. So my take-away from all this is: careful measurements and preparation is essential with it. Doubly so, when used with a carburetor.

Fuel injection systems will be less vulnerable to deterioration, IMHO. My Weber's now solved issues seen to be evidence of Dan Merrick's statements re: the acid in this mix. The effect of fuel seepage at the top gasket line I noticed earlier can be taken as "evidence" of reducing surface tension of the gas. This to me is all physical indications of how MPG R acts in gasoline fuel systems. Perhaps the Anaprin aspirin crystal powder needs a lower dosage by weight or volume, since it's pure aspirin, no fillers. I could have been making a mix several times stronger than Dan Merrick's recommendations. He is a fuel chemist, after all!

Now let me see, where did I put that Uranium powder...? :blink: :pinch: :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: spellin

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 19:42 #54

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Here's the thread, I believe the first time Dan mentioned what we've come to call The MPG Remedy:

6 aspirins to 20 gallons (just under 2 grams to ~55kg of fuel...call it a 1:27000 ratio), the 35% hydrogen peroxide and a form of alcohol as a carrier (I use 99% isopropyl - rubbing alcohol! - that I find at my local Costco for about $5 for 2 litres (64oz - it comes in a 4 pack of 16oz bottles).

It may lower the surface tension of gasoline, but I think more correctly it's altering (lowering) the Reid Vapor Pressure of gasoline (maybe that's the same thing):

Reid vapor pressure - Wikipedia

lower vapourization point of remedied gasoline plus increased manifold vacuum AND better air-fuel mixing from the groove and BLAMMO!

It may not have been eating away at your carb, Tracy; maybe the smaller lighter fuel molecules were seeping through under vacuum/fuel pressure and worked their way into places the designers never intended and busted stuff apart...you know? As far as the hard hot starts...maybe you were coming close to a vapor lock situation? it's pretty high and warm where you live, so lower air pressure and warmer temps PLUS a lowered surface tension/vapor pressure...follow me?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 20:00 #55

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
How much fuel does your new truck hold, Gerald? if we stick with Dan's formula, the math is pretty simple.

6/20 = x/y where y is your new truck's fuel capacity. just solve for x.
lets say the tank is 35 gallons. 6x35=210 divided by 20 is 10.5

so 35 gallons of gas would take 10.5 aspirins...the formula is less specific when it comes to peroxide and alcohol carrier, but those aspirins have to dissolve, right??

and as far as grooving goes, I bet my 2007 Buick Rendezvous' TB is probably not too different from your truck...Drive by wire. and being so new, yours will likely respond like mine...VERY well. look at the thread under Recent Topics
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 22 Jun 2016 22:15 #56

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
heysoundude my old 1997 had a 30 gallon tank, in trying to find sweet spot for it I went from 6 to 16 aspirin and back to 8 keeping very close check on GPM and 8 uncoated aspirin dissolved in 1/2 oz H2O2 with 3 oz 190 proof EverCear added and filter thro 4 layers of white kitchen paper towels. Clear color. Did find if any color was in paper towels then mixture would have a blue color. So 8 is very close to 6/20 = x/y formula, Still leaning about my new truck lots of new to me stuff on it. My grandpa always told me as for as alcohol if you can drink it its good for truck lol lol no not drinking 190 proof but truck did love it. I will use medical H2O2 because a person can take it inside with no harm. The other stuff has many things in it that is not on labels.
geraldc

update:
My 2015 GMC has 35 gallon tank. Started in Orlando Fl at 14.4 MPG drove home Savannah Ga back to Jacksonville Fl and home around town a little, it is learning now it gets 15.1 MPG.
Will find my plugs soon and gap up. See how MPG goes then.
As for my dissolving aspirin I used 1/2 oz or less H2O2 to dissolve 8 uncoated aspirin then added 3 oz EverClear 190 proof then filtered thro 4 layers white kitchen paper towels at each fillup from 25 to 28 gallons.

3-4-17 update
My 2015 GMC truck is now up to 17.2 mpg -- have done nothing to it yet-- when does computer stop " learning " increasing mpg ?

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: update

MPG Remedy- New thread 23 Jun 2016 19:57 #57

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
where do you get medical grade h2o2?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 23 Jun 2016 23:17 #58

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I got mine in a Health food/vitamin shop.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 09 Jul 2016 16:00 #59

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'm finding that the sweet spot for me in terms of mileage vs strength of the mixture is in the 5-6 tablet range, right on the money as far as Dan's recipe is concerned for my 18 gallon tank. (Any stronger and my mileage goes down.)
I pulverize the tablets with the back of a tablespoon, add less than an ounce of peroxide and shake it around in my mixing jar. I let it sit like that for 10 minutes or so for the mixture to come up to room temp (because I keep my peroxide in the fridge). then I add a few (3-4) ounces of alcohol, mix, filter and add it straight into the tank and THEN drive off to top up my tank with 89 octane E5. Still getting about 500 miles out of that 18 gallons, but that's combined city/highway (70/30 percent). I could probably extend range somewhat if I spent more time highway cruising...or driving at an endurance speed of 70kmph/40MPH, where my dashboard readout sits in the 4-5 L/100 km zone. (straight math on that would yield 1500km on 68 litres or 935 miles on 18 gallons...52 MPG!!!)
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile