Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy- New thread

MPG Remedy- New thread 08 Apr 2015 20:43 #13

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Hey Gerald, didn't you say your truck is a full-sized GM Product with a V8? I'm thinking the tank on it is 20-ish gallons or larger, so according to the Remedy formula/whitepaper, you're likely light on the Aspirin that's required in the formula to create "the acid" Dan Merrick mentioned that breaks the longer Hydrocarbon chains into more easily burned ones. We've kinda come up with a rule of thumb of one aspirin per 2 gallons of fuel capacity...just saying that 8 aspirin seems a bit light for your tank. I used ten in my 19.5 gallon tank with great results. Have you gone up to 12 and worked your way down?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG Remedy- New thread 09 Apr 2015 07:36 #14

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Hello guys -- My truck is 1997 chev 350 vortec with 32 gal tank. When I started with aspirin I used 16 aspirin with 1/2 oz H2O2 and 6 oz EverClear 190 proof, recording mpg each tank. As I found small problems fixed them, replace 4 O2 sensors also. So reduce aspirin to 8 uncoated ( started with coated and had color found uncoated), reduced to 8 aspirin then to 6 aspirin, just trying to find sweet spot for my truck. Truck did not like 6 so back to 8 now. Dissolving in 1/2 H2O2 is faster than walking 50 ft. love it. With 8 aspirin dissolved in 1/2 H2O2 mixed with 3 oz 190 proof EverClear so far truck loves it. Plugs gaped to .074 and runs great.
-- This truck has very bad electrical problems, latest problem if on cruise control turn lights on cruise turns off. Another problem all rear lights would go out and come back on any time. Put in shop was repaired 2 times but failed again. So I installed new brake light system not using any of truck system at all. No changes to any wires on truck light system. Now my brake lights work and truck lights work right with no truck brake lights at all.
-- Will be doing groove soon, weather and wife are much better, so can do more work without watching her so close.
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC. Reason: more info

MPG Remedy- New thread 09 Apr 2015 15:06 #15

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
big tank, lots of fuel = lots of remedy required, or stronger mixture might help boost your mileage with oxygenated fuel with ethanol.

you're sticking with 1/2 oz of peroxide...maybe a bit more is required? have you played with that part of the equation? like, an oz of h2o2? or 1.5oz? That's what I believe part of the magic is...But Dan Merrick is the expert, so I'll have to defer to him.

I'm completely unscientific as far as the quantities of the liquids, or possibly even reckless from a certain perspective: I just pour enough peroxide in to the jar until the mixture looks like all of the aspirin is incorporated into it evenly (It turns a crazy white that I love) then I top off with 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I filter out the precipitate, add it to the tank before I pump my 89 octane gasoline with only 5% ethanol, and I'm getting 25 MPG combined. That's about 4 MPG (15-18%) over gov't numbers, and I'm just running with a larger spark plug gap and the remedy for now - no groove.

I'm curious to see if you experiment, and what your results might be. If I were you, I'd start with 16 aspirin, 2oz of peroxide and 3 oz of everclear...5 oz in 32 gallons is still just a proverbial drop in a bucket, you know?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 30 Apr 2015 12:04 #16

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
So I'm still on the same latest tank of gas w/ MPGR in it, and I've noticed something interesting.

I mixed up the MPGR and it had more aspirin powder and a bit more H2O2 than previous batches. I added it to mid-grade gas along w/ Lucas fuel treat, then immediately drove out to Fallon. That's about 125 miles round trip, and I drove in a frugal way, trying to take advantage of the flat straight "test track" section between Fernley and Fallon. As I was nearing the end of the return leg, it looked like the MPG was actually not very good, the gas gauge had dropped a lot.
I've been on this same tank over 2 weeks now, commuting to work/back and the engine torque, throttle response and apparent MPG has been getting better and better as it has gone. Perhaps if the MPG R is allowed to sit in the gas longer, the reactions continue or max. out, as if it needs some time to work. I have done nothing to the car since this fillup but drive it. Maybe since this was a "strong" batch of Remedy, it needed the time factor to reach optimal...? B)

like letting whiskey age in the barrel...? :P

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 30 Apr 2015 12:28 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
That makes sense...and I'll mess with it myself. But my gut says it's more a temperature thing, for the acid of the Remedy to fully mix properly with the cold gasoline pumped from the ground. Regardless, any reaction needs time to occur...like making whisky or wine.

I'm hoping Gerald chimes in with his results as well, if he experimented with a stronger mixture in his truck.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 05 May 2015 02:23 #18

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Same here Tracy as far as not seeing any results from the MPG mix.
I do put in more aspirin than required and mix it with acetone and toluene instead.
It may be the added aspirin, the acetone/toluene mix instead of alcohol and or the fact that I usually do over 300+ miles a week and fill it weekly so as to not having mix in tank for long periods. Dont think its the time in tank idea for the results because I remember Dan saying that if you partially fill tank that the mix from the tank before also gives results to the new mix.
If this is true, then the time factor should not play a role.
Since I have four different mods on my truck and none seem to have any positive effect like it does for others, I keep looking at the ECU as the culprit.
The only mod(not counting it as one of the other four that had no results) that I did see results on, even though I didnt see it in MPG improvement, was the RVS in the oil. My mechanic said he swore I swapped out the engine before the 270k mile head gasket change seeing the pistons as clean as they were and the compression at 165-173lbs per cylinder.
Although I didnt see/feel any change in performance, the inspection from the mechanic verified the RVS did work well.
Now if replacing the ECU was as easy as adding RVS, I would have tried that mod a year ago to see if its the demon that is negating any mods and improvements in MPG and torque.
Karl

MPG Remedy- New thread 05 May 2015 13:27 #19

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Karl, how far have you gone in your investigations into not seeing gains? What factors have you manipulated to try for gains? I'm certain you're frustrated after all this time invested, and I'd love to help try to sort out the issue.
Let's assume the air part of the equation is not the issue - with compression that high and uniform, I'd be pretty comfortable leaving it alone for now, since compression goes nicely with vacuum. That leaves fuel and spark.
Your engine, if I recall correctly, has 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Have you over-gapped them? I've seen suggestions that there are 2 coil packs for those 8 plugs, and the wires from the 2nd coilpack can be re-routed so that both plugs in each cylinder are firing at the same time to more fully burn the air-fuel charge, rather than sparking at ignition and then again to burn what's left in exhaust. have you tried that?
I'm not an expert in chemistry, but it seems that you're the only person around here using acetone and toluene in addition to aspirin as a fuel additive. In fact, this website suggests that you may be shooting yourself in the foot. Could that have something to do with it? The person who introduced "the remedy" here was pretty clear in stating alcohol for aspirin, along with hydrogen peroxide; he also alluded to using ibuprofen in place of aspirin for its higher hydride content. Is it possible for you, on your next tank, to use high-proof everclear or medical grade isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with food grade hydrogen peroxide in place of acetone and toluene with aspirin in your tank? I'd try this first, personally, and then re-gap and wire the plugs if you saw a result.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK. Reason: found a link to support my hypothesis

MPG Remedy- New thread 06 May 2015 11:54 #20

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Your engine, if I recall correctly, has 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Have you over-gapped them? I've seen suggestions that there are 2 coil packs for those 8 plugs, and the wires from the 2nd coilpack can be re-routed so that both plugs in each cylinder are firing at the same time to more fully burn the air-fuel charge, rather than sparking at ignition and then again to burn what's left in exhaust. have you tried that?

Yes, that was one of my mods. I switched the plugs that fire on the down stroke to the up stroke so I get twice the fire to the piston. Didnt see a difference there.

I'm not an expert in chemistry, but it seems that you're the only person around here using acetone and toluene in addition to aspirin as a fuel additive. In fact, this website suggests that you may be shooting yourself in the foot. Could that have something to do with it?

Dont think so since I did go through a whole bottle of Everclear with the regular crushed bottle aspirin before switching to acetone/toluene because I didnt see a difference with the regular MPG mix with Everclear/aspirin/H202/Lucas. I know acetone was negated for the benefits when the elites forced ethanol on us for that purpose. Just like they forced leaded gasoline on us because of Charles Pogue getting over 200mpg with his carburator. They had to destroy his idea for better gas mileage just like ethanol destroys the acetone benefits. :angry:

Is it possible for you, on your next tank, to use high-proof everclear or medical grade isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with food grade hydrogen peroxide in place of acetone and toluene with aspirin in your tank? I'd try this first, personally, and then re-gap and wire the plugs if you saw a result.

That MPG remedy was tried with the 35% H202 with no results hence why I experimented with something else.
As far as the plugs regapped, I have Torquemasters which give a greater spark over regular plugs and I have two firing for each cylinder. Dont think I can improve on that and it should be well over twice the spark I had before changing plugs so dont think the spark is the issue.
Seeing all these basis were covered, I keep looking at the ECU as being a main cause that the demonic powers that be forced on us. Even checked for vac leaks with the Enginelink app and supposedly there are no major leaks.

MPG Remedy- New thread 06 May 2015 12:33 #21

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
OK, EngineLink only reports what the sensors tell it...If no codes indicated or pending, you're in good shape. What's it telling you about vacuum/MAP?

From this thread you said your ScanGauge reported higher MPG...does EngineLink confirm?

Do you reset the ECU with each mod/reversal?

I'm sure it will get down to something ridiculous and "hidden" as you suggest in targeting the ECU...for instance, I learned just last week that the AC Compressor on my truck (2001 b3000 DS) is engaged in more of the environmental control (heat/air) modes than you would think; a simple electrical mod allows the driver to bypass and re-engage in the cab, like the old school AC on/off buttons in other vehicles. The resultant reduction in load on the engine results in improved fuel economy. here: A/C manual switch - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Acetone though...you've got the numbers to prove an improvement in MPG I'm sure. there's something that makes me nervous or skeptical about that...I don't suppose you've tried the moth ball method, as suggested in places?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

MPG Remedy- New thread 06 May 2015 13:38 #22

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Its a 2000 2.5L.
I remember Ron saying he knew someone with the same engine(1998-2000 were the same) that was getting around 54 mpg. Dont know what mods he did and would have liked to had contact with him to confirm the mileage stats and what mods. Hearing is one thing but knowing is confirmation to the results.

MPG Remedy- New thread 06 May 2015 14:13 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Right, the other mods may have played off of the effect of the groove.
Like switching to an electric fan to remove more load from the engine crank.
How deep are you willing to go into these things, Karl? I've just started my quest for ultimate fuel economy, and have a roadmap/route planned.

One thing I've noticed (and this may be germane, since our trucks share the same part in this case to the best of my knowledge) is that since I've replaced my (failed) fuel pump, my mileage has taken a significant jump. I'm guessing that the injectors are seeing correct pressure behind them again, so that fuel is getting properly vapourized. Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? You're seeing between 60-65psi there?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 06 May 2015 18:37 #24

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 565
I'd agree w/ Heysoundude here. If the gas is being sprayed in larger droplets or streams from low press., then that could rob the time needed to have the fuel atomize, then vaporize. IT might be well enough to run, but not optimally. Also- guys do your Mazda/Ford's have one or two fuel filters? I remember from working on older 80's Ford Ranger/BroncoII's, there was a black round sorta disc-shaped fuel filt. down on the frame rail underneath. If I remember right, it had a replaceable disc-shaped element in it. There was another filter inline the normal canister shaped type. I remember something about it seemed easy to get the canister filter, but there was something wanky about the disc one...Either way, a tired pump, or restriction from the filter(s) would drop press. at the injectors. Two other things in the fuel delivery system often overlooked 'till outright obvious failure- the fuel press. regulator, and injector seals. Both the reg. diaphragm and inj. seals are types of synthetic rubber, they do degrade over time...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV