Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy- New thread

MPG Remedy- New thread 15 Sep 2015 00:56 #37

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Yes, I've seen that video or a similar one on Youtube, I recently made a little alcohol "cat stove" for camping/hiking, I've used yellow bottle HEET for it, works well.
IT would be interesting to test as you speak of- but there is one critical thing to remember- And George Wiseman of Eagle Research has pointed this out in great detail: The open air alcohol burn test, is Open Air, but we are burning fuel in Internal Combustion engines, under compression--vastly different circumstances. This is where the whole 14.7:1 air-fuel ratio thing comes from. According to George Wiseman, that AFR number 14.7:1 is based on open-air burn testing. I have no direct experience w/ testing, except what I've posted here.
Though it may yet be useful, to see visual results doing simple open-air burn testing. There does exist a visual testing gizmo for engines, called Colortune. It's a special spark plug w/ glass or pyrex insulator instead of white ceramic. It gets screwed in any given cylinder plug hole, and there is a guide as to what color flame is seen, tells what is going on. It is for use only at no-load idle, it can't be left in and the vehicle driven, or it can blow out. I think it is made in England, used by carb. tuners. I've thought of getting one, haven't yet done so.

Food for thought B)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG Remedy- New thread 15 Sep 2015 06:51 #38

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Hello yall
My 1997 chev 350 vortec still going, still has more electrical problems show up but I deal with them. As for aspirin, was using 10 uncoated aspirin for awhile had good results for little while dropped to 8 uncoated aspirin now dissolved in 1 oz H2O2 dissolves very fast pour in 3 oz EverClear grain alcohol 190 proof, filter thro 4 layers white kitchen paper towels at each fillup on 30 tank, usually about 28 gallons, from 12 mpg to 16 is general move for this truck right now at 14.5 mpg. I think this up and down on mpg is from the electrical problems this truck has. Latest problem when on cruise control brake does not release cruise control so turn on lights to release cruise control. Been to GM dealer they tell me there is no problem, so much for help.
Have also found out, from EPA paper someone gave my, my non-emission gas has stuff added to it where as emission gas does not have same stuff added to it. But EPA will not tell me what is added to non-emission gas, so much for help. Before I started using aspirin, fillup on Savannah Ga non-emission gas drive to Atlanta fillup return home, each time return home mpg would increase by average 3.7 mpg. I was looking in wrong place for why this was happening. Now trying to find a filter to run gas thro before it goes in tank.
As for things like HEET or Acetone, my grandpa always told me " if you can drink it your truck will love it " No I do not drink 190 proof but truck loves it !!!!
geraldc

little update 10-13-15
stilling using 8 aspirin same as above with 15.8 mpg now. New electrical problem when cranking engine dash clock changes time 2 or 3 times each cranking
geraldc

Last edit: by GeraldC.

MPG Remedy- New thread 15 Sep 2015 08:54 #39

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
I did NOT know that 14.7:1 was open air! no wonder the re-program post-groove is so important for fuel injected vehicles...if the waveform the groove produces mixes air and fuel together better pre-compression, that ratio is not high enough. and that in effect raises the compression ratio of the engine, which explains why the MPG remedy gets some results...and grooved engines are zippier AND more efficient. This is high school science class stuff, adjusting a bunsen burner...

I'd guess that you'd want a nice blue/white flash in your glass sparkplug...THAT, my friend, would make for a dramatic pre-/post- groove video...and not just for carb tuning, either: you could use it to observe the effect of adjusting the sparkplug gap as well, I'd wager.

wow. new stuff learned/realized/understood every day around here...
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 17 Sep 2015 12:44 #40

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
George Wiseman At Eagle-Research.com , George Wiseman, has written extensively about the AFR thing. He's pretty amazing, lots of ability, inventiveness, and experience. He takes a no-patent approach to all he does. And, he seems to be pretty emperical in his approach to what he does.
He goes pretty deep into the AFR topic. I don't have a direct link, but search around the Net or go to Eagle Research, or try Youtube. If I remember right, I think he said the ratio is by Weight not volume. Wiseman is very worthwhile to read, IMHO.

For the Colortune, here's a link to a Youtube vid on the Gunson Colortune. It's worth watching just to see the trippy BMW Isetta 3 wheel car, like Cousin It drove in the Adams Family Values film. Imagine driving one of these in heavy New York or San Francisco traffic... :unsure:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more stuff

MPG Remedy- New thread 12 Oct 2015 21:14 #41

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
going back to the original focus of the whole MPG Remedy deal, I have more experience with it now, and have adjusted my opinion of it.

The MPG Remedy works for sure in my experience. However I would now recommend using it judiciously, as in don't go overboard. I have a Weber carburetor on the Subaru's engine, and earlier this summer I noticed some light fuel seepage at gasket joints on the Weber. And, the accelerator pump diaphragm got a leak. I think it's likely the MPGR mix I'd been using for months contributed to these issues. Modern fuel injected engines have robust materials, hoses, tubes, seals, etc. But judging by my Subaru's example, I'd say be aware of my experience, and use common sense.

I've skipped using MPGR for a few tanks now, and the fuel seepage on the Weber has backed off. It's simplistic, un-scientific, but I think this is proof in limited form that MPG Remedy does indeed reduce surface tension in gasoline. IF you are using it, maybe check how strong you are making it, and skip a tank or two now and then. It's not so easy to see all possible leak locations in an injected car, if you can see an injector mounting seal, filter, any junctions in the fuel feed system, then look at 'em now and then. IT may be that MPG Remedy is like "penetrating oil" in the fuel system.

Just sayin'! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 12 Oct 2015 22:01 #42

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
One of the things I've craved since I stumbled in the door of Gadgetman Land is a bit more scientific-ness. Even though tuning engines for efficiency isn't so much science as art, and the people who practise the craft are artisans, THIS is a prime example of the need for some deeper science. Like, how to measure how much of a reduction in surface tension (or what range) gives optimal atomization of fuel, with this being applied to the different fuel formulations globally. And that might lead to a gadget that measures before and after.
Dan Merrick, if you're still around, can you shed some light here?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 14 Oct 2015 15:07 #43

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Yes it would be nice to have emperical test data re: surface tension modification of gasoline from using MPGR. But probably only an oil company lab (or maybe Dan Merrick) could or would do that.

I simply used the Mark One eyeball test. I noticed seepage on my Weber carb, where before there was none or barely any. After 5 or 6 weeks and two tanks of gas without any MPGR, I observed much less seepage. When sophisticated test results or equipment are lacking, I simply use my senses. When working on cars, I've learned to listen, feel, smell and look at the car, it's pretty effective.

To me the carb. gas seepage is actually an inconveinient indicator of surface tension reduction in the gas. On another car I Grooved , using MPG Remedy seemed to act as a fuel system cleaner, though I would not claim it as such. All carbs will seep gas to some degree, and I admit my opinion is just a theory, but there seems to be a cause/effect thing here.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 14 Oct 2015 22:50 #44

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just thinking about the MPG remedy.
It seems like the only thing that really works on the fuel surface tension for better MPG is the aspirin itself.
The other car you mentioned put the remedy in with only a few gallons in the tank so the MPG was concentrated to do the magic it did. Sounds like she had dirty fuel injectors and the concentration of Lucas is what did the trick.
Since Lucas is for the cleaning deposits and H202 for ridding any bacteria, then the aspirin seems to be the only ingredient left that does magic for MPG by breaking the surface tension(sorta like acetone used to do before ethanol)and make the fuel delivery a smaller quantity.
I remember Dan saying that even if you skip a tank, that the mixture from the remaining gas still effects the new gas. Dont remember if Dan mentioned how far that residual MPG goes and what concentration negates the positive results.

MPG Remedy- New thread 18 Oct 2015 22:31 #45

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well again I give Kudos to Dan Merrick for coming up with the Remedy in the first place. He's a fuel chemist, or at least schooled enough in the art to know whereof he speaks. He came up with something easy cheap and effective enough, and was kind enough to mention it here. All I did was expound and expand a bit with it. The Lucas is a great product itself, notice it says Upper cylinder lubricant on the bottle. Todays gas is "dry" compared to gasoline of old, is what I get, less lubricity to it. MPGR works, maybe I was a bit too aggressive w/ it, but no lasting harm done.

Thread skipping a bit (oh I wouldn't do THAT!) we've had a return of rainy weather, the power boost is back! I still am on untreated regular gas, and Subie loves wet weather, glad I have the air oil separators to catch crankcase moisture! About time to check and empty them to get ready for Winter again. I still wonder how much the plasma ignition increases the wet weather power boost Subie gets...

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 19 Oct 2015 10:59 #46

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'm betting with a huge el Nino in the Pacific, you'll have quite a few rainy days this winter, Tracy. And yes I agree, it's quite the brilliant concoction, with such readily available and inexpensive ingredients.

There was a sudden and significant drop in gas prices here over the weekend - 8 cents or so per litre (canadian money), so call it 20 cents (yankee greenbacks) per gallon...my guess is they've cleared the system of summer gas and winter formula is what's on tap for the next 6 months. buh bye mileage!
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy- New thread 19 Oct 2015 18:15 #47

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
Well I hope it snows like mad in the Sierras, I've had enough of snow for a lifetime, since the 100 year snow lasting a week at New Years back in Jan.'05. I had 5 feet level in my old front yard :blink: wore out a snow shovel! But the rains are welcome here for now, it's badly needed here, and my Subie loves it.

Lower gas prices are always welcome, good for you Canucks!

Time to get aware about crankcase condensation for all who employ the PCV re-route, check the posts in Index re: Air Oil separators, catch cans, etc.

Check those tire pressures, they usually drop with temp. changes!

Might be good to compile data re: MPGR with Winter Gas! ;)

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy- New thread 21 Jun 2016 19:56 #48

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
So today is June 21, 2016. Due to ongoing and increasingly inconvenient symptoms w/ my Subie, I just finished working on the Weber 32/36 DGEV carb. Hard hot re-starts, and a tendency to want to stall on hard left turns, led me to suspect a bad float. I bought a new float, inlet filter screen, and had a needle/seat set onhand.

Though I didn't get pics, first I'll say the original float weighed 20 grams, while the new one weighed ten grams. There were fine black particles in the float bowl, and the plastic(!) fuel inlet filter screen fell apart on removal. This plastic screen was discolored light brown, and the plastic material was brittle. The black particles I think were tiny bits of plastic off the original float.

I think, that my use over time of MPG Remedy was the culprit in all this. Seems like the float black plastic and inlet screen plastic were attacked by the MPG remedy. The float likely absorbed some fuel (they are known to be vulnerable to this), gained weight and caused an over rich condition. I had made a number of batches of MPGR, and probably used too much Anaprin aspirin powder. This I think made the "acid" Dan Merrick spoke of originally in the fuel.

So, my current opinion on MPG Remedy is- I think it can be fine for fuel injected engines, just be cautious how you make it, don't use too much aspirin. That will make it too chemically "hot". For carburetors, either skip using MPG Remedy, or be extra careful not to make it too "hot".

With all new fuel inlet system parts, plus a new fuel pressure regulator, the Subie is a happy little beast again! :P

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK