Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.

TOPIC: Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 13:59 #13

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Heysoundude- Thank you for the sound advice.

You are right it is a 2 liter normally aspirated engine(no turbo). Manual 5 speed gearbox. No inter cooler. 2 wheel drive. It is fuel injection and the throttle body is cable driven.

Sasol does contain Ethanol See attached files

I drive with Sasol unleaded. Sasol is a South African based company dealing mostly in petroleum products derived from natural gas. I use Sasol as I find I get the best mileage on it.

I do not have a code reader. Can you possibly inform me on type and model to buy.

Martin

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 14:07 #14

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
It seems I might be reading the data wrong.

Can someone interpret it.

Seems like it contains 100% polyethylene.

Hope this is helpful.

Martin

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 14:10 #15

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Wrong spreadsheet.

Polyethylene is something else.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 14:12 #16

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I did watch the video regarding the proper procedure for setting the optimum spark gap.

Martin

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 14:27 #17

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
A simple machine, your truck...this is good, as I'll wager that the computer won't put up too much of a fight. Have you had it compression tested, to verify that it's in good health? Even a recent emissions test will give you an idea of this, depending on the legalities in your region.

Google OBD-ii (OBD-II or OBD2, I've seen them all) code reader, or look in your local parts store catalogue. these days, around these parts, they're fairly inexpensive. I actually got a WiFi dongle and an app for my smartphone.

a purpose-built code reader will cost about the same as this combo. I like that app specifically because it can be used for diagnosis as well as real-time, real world driving condition monitoring. there are others...pick your flavour.

NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies above.
It's just what I have and what works for me. If you've an android phone/tablet, go for the bluetooth version. I'm an iPhone/mac person, so wifi is the way to go.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 17:56 #18

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I recently replaced the head gasket on this vehicle. So I don't think there would be any compression issues. There was no ridge on the sleeves that I could feel. The head was completely overhauled. I talking about 5000 km back. So I don't think compression should be an issue. That being said I will still do the tests-just to be sure. I do hear a exhaust leak so I will fix that soon. This vehicle has 210 000 km on it. You are right it is quit a simple machine. That is why I like it. Not much that I can't do on it myself.

looks like the app and dongle is the way to go. My smart phone is not that smart-haha. But I am sure I can run the app from my laptop.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 18:01 #19

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
What is the name of the app?

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 18:05 #20

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
It's in the link, Martin.
(you're up late!)
-greg
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 18:12 #21

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
O I see it is called engine link. :)

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 18:14 #22

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Yes.

Mosquito's woke me. Now I cant sleep.

Thanks for the Info.

It Helps a Lot.......

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 29 Oct 2015 23:56 #23

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Ethanol, while it raises octane numbers and burns cleaner than gasoline, takes longer to burn than pure gasoline. We're looking for as instantaneous a burn as possible on the power stroke of an engine rather than sending it past the exhaust valve to the oxygen sensor while it still on fire.
The oxygen sensor helps determine fuel injector duration (longer = more fuel), and if we can trick the computer Into shorter duration (less delivery), cars run more efficiently (better mileage and lower emissions per mile).
As best I can figure, the groove mixes air and fuel together better (more evenly) for lower delivery from the injectors as determined by oxygen sensors.
Great question!
From my research, oxygen sensors have a lifespan of about 60k miles or 100k km or less. Have you ever replaced yours in the truck? I'd hold off until you're grooved, just so they last a bit longer. Remember to reprogram your ECU after replacing them! (Both the upstream -ahead of catalytic converter- and the downstream, after it - that verifies that the converter is working correctly). You could do it now and see an improvement in economy, but they'll still get some carbon contamination and not send the most accurate info to the computer for fuel delivery after grooving. .
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 30 Oct 2015 11:47 #24

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collette contacted me and I will be making payment during this weekend.

Tracey thanks a Million for your trouble. I do APPRECIATE IT DEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg.

Thank you for the info on Ethanol. I will be researching which companies in SA are Ethanol free.

So a logical deduction from your explanation would be to drive lower octane fuel as the chances are it contains less Ethanol or better yet NO Ethanol?

Seems like my work horse doesn't have a catalytic converter or any sensors on exhaust side of the engine.

That might be an advantage to for the groove. We will find out soon enough.

I increased the pressure on my tires to 65 PSI today. I have nitrogen in my tires. The guy at the tire place was shocked when I told him the pressure I wanted-Ha Ha. I told him I am experimenting !!!! with rolling resistance and he looked at me if I was crazy.

So much for every one to learn.........

Thank you again for every response and all the help!!!!!!

Tomorrow is work on my Truck day. So I will be posting Photos. I want to set the spark gap but I am in two minds about it because I first want to see the effect of higher tire pressure before I do anything else.

Regards

Martin