Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Welcome to the Groovy Forums!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and will work to help you achieve your fuel efficiency goals.

TOPIC: Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 21:29 #61

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 7
Heysoundude.

Thank you for explaining further how the computer system works. If I understand you correctly all we have to do is figure out how to fool it to get better consumption. And because my Mitsubishi has such a simple system it should be much easier to fool than the more complicated ones in newer cars.

Yes it was back to work for me yesterday and I find that I am saving some fuel on the changes that I already made. That is tire pressure increased, increased spark plug gap and PCV Valve reroute. I do get about 30 miles more per tank at the moment.

The smoother intake makes a lot of sense to me and I will be making that Change as soon as I have the money and time to do it. I haven't been looking again for the obd2 plug. I will though as soon as I can make some time for it. Under the steering column you say. I will check.....

I plan to go see a mechanic at mitsu today to see if I can get my hands on a manual of some sorts. That way we can better understand the computer system......

Do you think my tire pressure is too hard. We are having dry weather at the moment and my truck drives easier with the higher pressures. Handling is good on dry roads. Did I understand the tire pressure concept wrong. Should I not increase to Max?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 21:45 #62

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
Martin, I was under the impression that the 60-70 or however many psi you have in the tires was over the max. If that's what the tire says, use it. We must have different tire specifications here in North America; for vehicles that size, pressures top out around 50psi or lower in my experience

I'm glad you're seeing gains already! 50 miles per tank...that's what percentage? Have you tried whipping up a batch of the MPG Remedy? I addit it before a fill up on the assumption it will more evenly mix as I pump more gas. It got me an extra 1-2 MPG.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 21:51 #63

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Hysoundude.

I have done a lot of changes at once. I first want to be sure of the effect of these changes before I add the MPG Remedy.

I will be looking at that a little later. I want to drive like it is for next 2 tanks or so and then make some more changes.

No these are like industrial van tires is suppose. Max PSI Is 65. The weight that each tire can carry is quite high....

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 21:57 #64

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Martin,

I have read that the formula for inflating the tires and MPG gains is about 4 to 1.
What that means is that for every 4 pounds of air above recommended gives about 1 extra MPG.
So if you have 50psi for your tires and inflate it to 60psi, you should be getting about 2+1/2 extra MPG.
I have heard this twice and once from Mike Holler so I am taking that as fact since he is a guru on MPG's and how things work relating to engines and MPG's. He may have mentioned it on his videos that were posted on this site a while back.
Look them up, you can learn much from Mike's videos along with the info Tracy and Greg give you.
Karl

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 21:58 #65

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Now that makes more sense. What do you haul? Is this a daily driver vehicle or is it a work truck for a business? Tell me to mind my own if that's too personal...
Regardless, your machine is intriguing. What does the manufacturer say about horsepower and torque from your engine?
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 22:33 #66

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
Thanks Karl.

That makes lots of sense. I increased the tires to max on the tire side wall. Want to do an orange run and see what the difference is between max and recommended regarding MPGs.

Heysoundude.

I appreciate every question and comment. Every one gets more pieces of the puzzle the more questions there are.

It is a work horse that carries tools and sometimes gets loaded quite heavy with sand and cement and bricks and stuff.

I must say that the pressure in the tires right now is almost twice as much as I ever pumped it. So I think that the orange run is necessary in order for me to get to a better understanding of where the max pressure is where I don't see any gains anymore.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 22:49 #67

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
This is what the specs on my Truck looks like.

Quite low but it is what it is...

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 22:52 #68

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
It is a fuel injection though.
Maybe it is this one.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 22:56 #69

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
And again

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 02 Nov 2015 22:58 #70

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
and again

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 03 Nov 2015 09:59 #71

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
ok, 120HP and 140 ft-lbs for the non-metric following along. I like to see torque numbers higher than HP.

Next time you're talking to the Mitsu shop people, see if they can come up with a spec on the fuel injector rating in terms of lbs per hour each injector is capable of delivering.

From the power rating and the fuel delivery spec, we can derive the factory BSFC - Brake Specific Fuel Consumption rating, from which we can speculate a bit on how much more power your engine might produce when grooved.
Here's where I learned about it when I was researching my truck (when I needed to replace the fuel pump): Rogue Performance

my premise is that if we get, say 30% better mileage after grooving, that may be proportional to the BSFC and from there we can ballpark the HP output the grooved engine produces vs factory.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Hi Everyone!!!!! Love the forum-Want to start grooving!!!!!! 03 Nov 2015 11:06 #72

• Martin Swart
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
I was all over Town today to find some kind of workshop manual or anything regarding this vehicle. Apparently Mercedes Benz South Africa - the distributors of Mitsubishi at the time of sale - has a policy that no manuals may be handed out to the public.

So I am in Jam street regarding this......... :(