Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy

MPG Remedy 21 Feb 2015 15:21 #145

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652

dan wrote: The asprin are acting as hydrydes, Ibuprofin also hydryde 13 carbon 18 hydrogen 2 oxygen per mlg
<EDIT>
Interesting yet. Need more power or energy add hydrogen. Water does mix with gas,in a gas state. You start feeling bad asprin or ibuprofin!!!!!! Remember extra hydrogen,alittle goes along way same for your car engine

So while it's more expensive (ibuprofen), it has more of what we're looking for? can we possibly use less?
Has anyone tried this? I've emailed Dan, but no response yet.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG Remedy 21 Feb 2015 20:49 #146

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Interesting...While wandering about some time ago searching for data re: Merrick's Gas, HHHN, I saw cryptic clues of exotic mixes of Ibuprofin in the formula's for the electrolytes. Left me scratchin' the noggin. I lack info as to veracity of Ibuprofin vs. aspirin. The whole Hydrogen, HHO, HHHN, etc. bag- it's interesting to remember that Ron was into all that before he brought out the Groove. I bought one of the first of Dennis Lee's HAFC kits back in '07, the square stainless box wet cell, whose design has been surpassed since then. Today that stainless box sits forlornly on my bench, I removed it awhile back. But the subject of Hydrogen is still meritorious, just the question of best theory, design and price. Many have found benefit from HHO and it's variants, though Subie didn't do so well. Sort of like being at the county Fair as a kid, wondering which dime-toss stand to engage... :lol:

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy 22 Feb 2015 16:02 #147

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Talked to my ChemEng dad yesterday evening briefly about this, and the first thing that he admitted was that his Organic Chemistry chops are atrophied. However, he did admit that the science of adding the resultant acid (either aspirin or ibuprofen) to ethanol gasoline would indeed break the surface tension of the fuel to an extent. So I've decided to experiment until Dan replies:

I dissolved 600 mg of ibuprofen liquigels in both alcohol and peroxide. Happened much faster in the peroxide than in the 99% isopropyl alcohol that I use; the peroxide solution was cloudy like aspirin, but the alcohol solution was not so I presume some sort of reaction happened in the peroxide. Also of note was that there was no particulate that appears to need filtering prior to addition to the gas tank, but I will anyway as a preventative. I've now combined the 2 solutions for filtering prior to use, and will post my results to see if there is an appreciable difference between mileage on aspirin remedy vs ibuprofen remedy. I guess fuel trim data will be useful to an extent as well, so I'll keep an eye on that as well.

Stay tuned, Friends!

UPDATE:
I looked at the jar this morning. A layer of crystals has formed, maybe 1/3rd of the depth of the solution. Shaking the jar broke the layer up but the crystals remain in the solution. Definitely need to filter prior to use. My suspicion is that the reaction between ibuprofen and peroxide lead to this, so I'll try dissolving liquigels in alcohol and then adding peroxide next time to see if the results are the same.

UPDATE 2:
this morning, the morning after yesterday morning's crystal discovery, I added a bit more alcohol to the mixture. So far, 6 hours later, no apparent crystal reformation. Noted for future. Are y'all chomping at your bits to see me run it thru the tank yet? hahaha

MAJOR UPDATE:
I've discovered something about using ibuprofen gelcaps, or possibly one specific brand of them, which could be why Dan was careful and cautious about using them. The big box store brand I've been experimenting with... well, the gel part doesn't seem to want to dissolve so well or easily in alcohol, so I've had to puncture them to get the liquid inside out into the alcohol carrier. A small fork seems to do the trick, once the gelcaps have been swimming in alcohol for a while. What remains is MUCH easier to filter out of the mixture prior to adding the peroxide, which is good news. The better news is that it really seems to work better than aspirin. My mileage has increased fairly significantly with the swap from Aspirin in E10 gas to ibuprofen in E5 gas (midgrade, which I've sourced at a local independent station, at the same price as E10 regular), significantly to me being 15+%, even on winter gas during this warmer early spring weather. I look forward to continued testing as the weather continues to improve, but it seems that the ethanol-busting remedy that's been shared here works quite well when ibuprofen is swapped out for aspirin. And what's best is ibuprofen is available in liquid form, so no more grinding tablets up, and it's easier to make on the road. YMMV, of course.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

Last edit: by GregK.

MPG Remedy 22 Feb 2015 22:22 #148

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Greg,
Talked to Dan a while back and he said about the same thing with the ibuprofen.
So I am guessing he would say stick with the aspirin but the technical reason to skip the ibuprofen escapes me. Guess you can say the same about Castor oil(did my own research) that since it has many more hydrogen atoms than ibuprofen but its not being used in the MPG formula either.
Wondering in all my research why I didn't see anything on adding Castor oil to fuel to give a better performance. I know its not like aspirin to break the surface tension but I would have thought it still would have some benefit.
Found out something interesting lately. Since my MPG mix involves acetone, toluene and aspirin, I mix it in batches of 3 doses and pout it into a container with increments of three so I dont have to mix every week and have it ready in my toolbox on the truck. Well I went to pour it in last week with the frigid temps here and noticed the aspirin had separated into a chunk on the bottom. This didn't happen in the warmer weather so am wondering if the aspirin separates in our gas tank with these very low temps. Wondering if the regular crushed store bought stuff also separates like the commercial stuff I bought in crystal form.
Anyone else see anything like that out in groovy land?
Karl

MPG Remedy 23 Feb 2015 10:46 #149

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Karl - I found a research paper online somewhere that had found adding plain ol' glycerin (also an acid, c3h8o3) to gasoline (I seem to recall Ethanol enhanced gasoline...will have to look it up again) made engines run more efficiently than with the gasoline alone. trouble is, the enriched fuel needed to be vaporized differently prior to burning...I can't recall specifics. Another good conversation topic for Dan.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy 06 Mar 2015 16:49 #150

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
Dissolved my 8 uncoated aspirin (tables) in 1/2 oz H2O2 then added 3 0z EverClear 190 proof put jar outside for night as temperature went to 28* just to see if any crystals formed or any form of table rebuilding happened. It had settle to bottom no large pieces shook it. All mixed up. So maybe the crystal aspirin has something else in it not same as tables.
geraldc

MPG Remedy 08 Mar 2015 19:41 #151

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Greg.
Been searching hours on cracking fuel with different patents and such and there are some chemicals out there that do enhance combustion and even water/gas emulsion but try getting your hands on this stuff.
You have to be a chemist and have connections it seems. Thought that since Castor oil has over 30 hydrogen molecules in its composition, somehow it could be cracked or mixed with gas to enhance vehicle performance. Glycerine like Castor oil is easy to get a hold of but I have not found information yet that either one is worth using with the fuel.
Karl

Thanks Gerald,
I mix my aspirin with the acetone and toluene but the temps here were below 20 degrees and even down to single digits here when that separation with the aspirin took place. Yes it was the commercial stuff but I'm sure its the cold temps that did it since I didnt have this before it became so bitterly cold.
Karl

MPG Remedy 11 Mar 2015 23:08 #152

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
I may have mentioned this already, but I've seen "evidence" the MPGR does cut surface tension in gas... The Weber carb that Subie wears, I was looking closely at it awhile back, and I noticed some fuel seepage around the top air horn gasket line, where gas had seeped out and left residue on the outside. It might just be the gaskets getting worn in, but I hadnt seen this on this DGEV before. If the gasoline surface tension is reduced, I would guess it might penetrate/saturate the gaskets more than usual, with this result. It's not causing a problem, it's just thin residue that catches fine dirt and holds it, giving a visual clue, easily rinsed away w/ carb. cleaner.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

MPG Remedy 12 Mar 2015 11:21 #153

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Yes Karl - Dan Merrick hasn't replied to my emails about glycerin or ibuprofen yet; nor has Bruce McBurney, but he lives 10-12 miles away, so I can go knock on his door.

Something must be going on lately, with silence from those two gents above, and no reply to two prospective gadgetmen from head office floating around on the "recent topics" of the forum. Could it be they're all sipping coladas on a tropical island, vacationing? It could also be that they're swimming in work, trying to keep head above water. Or maybe they're researching. only they know, and hopefully they'll resurface sooner than later and fill us in. In the meantime, I have enough of my own work to be done.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy 12 Mar 2015 11:50 #154

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wow Greg,
If I would live so close to Bruce and know his address, I would be spending much time with him picking his brain and learning from an expert.
Like Mike Holler learned from his teacher and tried new things from the information he gathered, Bruce could pass some useful info on to you that could benefit.
Am always having my ears open here to hear from others who know things I dont that could be helpful.
Karl

MPG Remedy 12 Mar 2015 11:56 #155

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Bruce's address is on his website, Karl, and he has a sign on his front lawn about 100 MPG that I drove past for years before I found this place and some knowledge and perspective and started taking the man I've never met and barely corresponded with so seriously.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy 12 Mar 2015 13:29 #156

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
from what Greg has said, I think Bruce McBurney is kinda a recluse...I think it's understandable, strange/bad things have happened to many inventors and innovators in this field, I can see tension between wanting to spread something far and wide, then becoming a target for Men In Black... :unsure: I tried to contact Bruce once thru his site, go no reply, actually I wasn't surprised.
We all remember the sad story of Stanley Meyers. Mike Holler worked for/with Dennis Lee, they produced and sold the HAFC kits and were working on the much anticipated PICC. Then Obama became President, and suddenly the FTC took Dennis Lee to court and the court wound up slapping Dennis Lee w/a gag order I think it was, and that whole program went off the rails. Mike Holler worked with Paul Pantone, the inventor of the GEET system, before he worked w/ Dennis Lee, and that Inventor got stuck in the Utah State Hospital for several years, fraudulently as I recall...
So this is an exciting road we are on, but it can be dangerous for the guy driving the bus, just remember! Ron Hatton railed against the System too...
I think I've heard a story about Copernicus who had made his telescope, but the men from the Church refused to even look through it, a useful analogy... :unsure: :ohmy: :(

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info as usual