Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Talk about the tools we use to give GREAT mileage on engines.

TOPIC: MPG Remedy

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 05:44 #85

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
  • Thank you received: 31
on my 1997 chey 350 vortec truck with 32 gal tank using 1/4 uncoated aspirin per gallon (8 aspirin) with 3 oz EverClear 190 proof and 1/2 oz or less hydrogen peroxide filter thr 4 layers white kitchen paper towels does the job
--- last tank 15 mpg :P :P from 12 mpg on new engine about 15k miles ago with PCV lines rerouted to in bound air and plugs back to .060 standard setting. On plugs have gagged to .074 in .020 steps then back down and fixing small problems on truck, will be going back to .072 gapped just trying to find sweet spot for this engine
--- my grandpa always told me :) --if you can drink it, its good for your truck ---- :) so EverClear 190 proof is what I will use, not rubbing alcohol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 09:02 #86

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Thank you received: 652
We used to have an ever clear equivalent, but a trip to the provincially regulated liquor store brought to my attention that they haven't stocked it in quite some time. I'm going to check in with the local distilleries to see if they might be able to assist under their licences.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 11:07 #87

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Heysoundude,

I have a MAF instead of a MAP. I changed the 02 sensor for a generic at Autozone until I heard Mike Hollar say the 02s need to be the exact ones specific for the vehicle and get them from the dealer.
Well now I find I have to bring in the old 02 since the b2500 2000 truck I have has 3 different pre cat 02 sensors that may go with my truck and I have to actually bring in my old one to make sure which one of the 3 is the right one. :angry: Already disposed of the old one.
The next step for me is to get both 02s changed when I find out which ones they are and see if that makes any difference. Also have 3 codes. A 0171 lean code, 0133 02 sensor and 0455 EVAP leak. So changing the 02 is a must, just have to find out which one since Mazda doesnt know. :angry:
This would not happen if I had a car with no controlled chip by the powers that be.
Tracy is one lucky dude to have 2 carburated cars and one that gets over 70mpg. :woohoo:
I am in NY, where are you?

Last edit: by Karl411.

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 11:41 #88

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
This may be a good time to do a PCV line reroute and EVAP reroute to fix this >> 0455 EVAP leak <<< any intake vacuum leak not good.
-- be sure to do plug gap until skip then back off.
--- computer reset too -- pull (negative, :woohoo: wrong) positive cable then put jumper wire from (negative, :woohoo: wrong) positive wire to (positive, :woohoo: wrong) negative post -- turn key to run-- Last time I did computer reset for 1 hr did better for me than shorter times
geraldc
--- this is from the man himself ---
try this one
look for this one
ecu conditioning november 2011.pdf
it is in Public Information Documents

one below was posted on this broad from Ed
Welcome to Gadgetman Land! The Gadgetman Groove: The World's Best in Fuel Economy

Last edit: by GeraldC.

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 12:08 #89

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did the PCV reroute and plugged the manifold hose where it went.
Have new plugs from Torquemaster which supposedly gives better spark with wider gap and stainless tips.
Did computer reset by removing neg cable for whole night while pressing on brake and turning on lights to drain any residue.
Basically all should be done there. Seems like the chip is the main problem. Now these codes just popped up about two months ago. Also get pinging on acceleration. Seems like 02 sensors is the first step to fix.
Dont know anything about EVAP reroute. Never heard it mentioned on this board. :dry:
Karl

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 14:25 #90

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
I've heard it said that Gasoline is a Witches' brew, so the MPGR is like witches' brew thinner. There are certainly differences in gas but I've heard enough success stories about the remedy that I think it's pretty universal in nature. I've also heard that it works w/ diesel, though no direct experience of that.

Karl, you and heysoundude need to talk some more... And Heysoundude thanks for your insights, I'm glad you're with us. If you are a sound tech, then you can analyze patterns and trends well, that's important in that work.

The Torquemasters don't HAVE a side electrode, surface gap design. That PO455 code check gas cap then find/check EVAP control valve. Try starting w/ charcoal canister, trace the vac. hoses to/from charcoal can. I think the EVAP control is same as canister purge valve. Look on youtube for ScannerDanner's channel he had a good vid. on troubleshooting this type system. PO455 translate to big vac. leak in evaporative control system. EVAP syst. is vapor line fron tank to charcoal can. char. canister has purge line to manifold vac. and the purge control valve is often/usually operated and monitored by ECU, which can detect a fault in system operation. I cured this code on an '01 PT Cruiser by replacing bad gas cap. Code came back might have to troubleshoot it.

Bummer about the O2's wow 3 different ones... :angry: Give Ford/Mazda dealer parts person the VIN# and build date to help figure which part is correct. EVAP leak and wrong O2 now makes sense about your truck's balky ECU Karl!! :ohmy:

On the ECU re-set pull pos batt. cable off batt, then jump loose cable end to ground- ^^^isolate pos. batt. cable from batt!^^^ Don't want anyone mis-interpret that one! LOL ;)

EVAP purge can be re-routed- but could insufficient vac. by re-routing it set a code?

This thread just got real interesting I suggest EVAP and O2 info start new topic thread good diagnostic stuff.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV

Last edit: by Tracy Gallaway. Reason: more info

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 19:50 #91

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
I'm in Ontario, near Niagara Falls.

If anything, I'm certain now that any vehicle under consideration to be grooved should be at or near top mechanical condition before we start pursuing modifications, including the groove. In my case, pre-groove, I'm planning vaccuum and compression testing, then I'll increase my plug gap. Then it's time to replace the original o2 sensors and install efie and mapster, And get the air pump that we call an engine tweaked out before the groove. Then the groove and re-routing what needs it. I think getting it burning optimally FIRST is key, within the computer's parameters. Then it can be taken to the next level.

And getting back to the remedy, so far so good. I dont have scanguage ability, but the needle hasn't moved as much as it normally does.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile

MPG Remedy 09 Oct 2014 22:12 #92

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bummer about the O2's wow 3 different ones... :angry: Give Ford/Mazda dealer parts person the VIN# and build date to help figure which part is correct. EVAP leak and wrong O2 now makes sense about your truck's balky ECU Karl!! :ohmy:

I was given the 3 02 sensors from the Vin#. Now go figure. How can all three be the one for my vin#?
This is why I hate chipped cars. Nothing but trouble and by design by the powers that be!!! :angry:
Also looked on Youtube for EVAP leak and found it could be a few different things. Great, I get a code and now have to figure which part is bad. How proficient are our vehicles today...NOT!!
Can you tell I am annoyed at the uselessness of chipped cars and the trouble they cause by design?
Definitely looking for a good carburatored car to work on. Have to save to get one.

On the ECU re-set pull pos batt. cable off batt, then jump loose cable end to ground- ^^^isolate pos. batt. cable from batt!^^^ Don't want anyone mis-interpret that one! LOL

Doesnt disconnecting the Neg cable do it also? There are about 5 different ways of resetting the ECU according to one video on Youtube. Hope the info I am getting is correct.
Would also like to know if there is a way of bypassing the EVAP nonsense like easy rerouting the PCV. Would like to bypass the nonsense they give us and eliminate paying the bucks for something I dont need and causes problems with gas mileage.

MPG Remedy 10 Oct 2014 01:46 #93

• Tracy Gallaway
  • Founder
  • Founder
  • Thank you received: 564
Karl, you could bypass the EVAP or rig it somehow-but would likely cause check engine light/code permanently set. With computer-operated modern injected vehicles- the computer is the boss, period, as Ron said. Won't pass smog test that way, and won't run right until that problem is fixed. I say fix that issue and the O2- and you could finally get what you've been fighting for so long.
It's not all roses w/ older carb. stuff either. Gotta be willing to go out of your way w/ either carb. or injected.
I've never heard a story like this w/ 3 different O2's possible for same VIN#.
Anyone have more input on the O2 issue...? :huh:

I'd connect w/ heysoundude, he seems pretty astute, nearly same truck as yours Karl buddy!

The EVAP stuff isn't THAT complicated, mostly finding the components IMHO.

I feel yer'frustration...but I think you have finally spotted codes that explain the erratic behavior, Ive had issues on my vehicles persist for years till I figured then out...The EVAP issue is vacuum leak- and if its a wrong O2, it's speaking Martian to the ECU... :unsure:

Diagnostics are a big part of this game. The basics need nailed down to get the gains, end of story. It's challenging for us Gadgetmen, most of us don't work in a shop, and we're all over the Planet. So we have to share info here. And we have to deal w/ stuff mostly on our own. But we have the chance to learn a LOT as well, to better serve ourselves and others- to make a difference.
I appreciate Karl's long saga w/ his truck, he's been teaching me things for some time now.

I mean no offense to you Karl, I've been goading you for a long time. But I think you've really found the trouble this time.

Tracy G
Tracy Gallaway
Founder and Constant Aide to Gadgetman
Gadgetman Reno, NV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregK

MPG Remedy 10 Oct 2014 06:05 #94

• GeraldC
  • Adventurer
  • Adventurer
from the man him self - I may be doing it wrong -- 5th one down

Welcome to Gadgetman Land! The Gadgetman Groove: The World's Best in Fuel Economy

try this one
gadgetmangroove.com/index.php/gadgetman-...man-groove-documents look for this one
ecu conditioning november 2011.pdf
it is in Public Information Documents

Last edit: by GeraldC.

MPG Remedy 10 Oct 2014 08:34 #95

• Karl411
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Gerald,

No worky on the linky. :P

MPG Remedy 10 Oct 2014 08:51 #96

• GregK
  • Friends of Gadgetman
  • Friends of Gadgetman
Gerald, I get a 404 for this. try again? thanks.
Greg Kusiak
Most Active Member
Audiophile